Do you count calories?

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lucy was very helpful on my Vegetable thread last week and pointed me to the phlaunt website. Thanks again!

However, I am hearing mixed conversation regarding a LCHF diet. Some people say that you do not need to count calories, as long as you eat at or below your carb limit, and you will lose. Others say that you should count calories AND eat below your carb limit to ensure weight loss. Today, I feel like I could eat 1/2 a steer, even though I feel like I have eaten enough fat and protein. It isn't cravings, but real hunger. Other days, I could eat this much and be quite satisfied on less.

I want to lose weight, because weight loss begets better BS levels, and that is my mission. So my question is " Is it important to count calories or not? What does everyone do?"

Reactions: 2 people

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say, based on bitter experience, that some people on LCHF still need to be mindful of portion sizes. I wouldn't go as far as counting calories, though, especially as we know that all calories are not equal.

Still, there's nothing wrong with balancing your intake over time, some days eating more, and others less. There is some evidence that it might actually be beneficial for the health and weight loss, like intermittent fasting.

Reactions: 6 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Some people say that you do not need to count calories, as long as you eat at or below your carb limit, and you will lose.
That's true, but only IF you have found your correct personal carb limit (point of nutritional ketosis) and IF you don't get kicked out of ketosis by eating protein that gets converted into glucose and IF the fat you are eating doesn't increase your insulin resistance which increases the increases the effect that carbs have on your blood sugar...

Reactions: 4 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You're T2 so when dietary fat pushes up your insulin resistance you will produce more insulin in response to carbs, and the increased insulin may kick you out of nutritional ketosis.

So let me see - restrict protein, and restrict carbs (and protein) when you increase fat - almost sounds like controlling total calories might be a good idea after all! :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think definitely be aware of /watch your calories intake. I believe that too much anything - if not actually used for energy by your body - is liable to get saved in your spare type fat larder for a rainy day...:D

Robbity

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I don't count calories or carbs. Seems to work ok.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To continue losing weight I have to count calories, 1200 is my optimum but I can go up to 1400 -1500 on weekends etc, anything over this and I start to gain weight, but I am a looooong way into my weight loss journey and at the beginning I could get away with eating a lot more - not now though:(:(

Reactions: 6 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmmm. I get shunted off course by info overload, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good etc.

Carbs & Cals shows calories too, so the calories totals are there. I focus on the carbs and protein tho.

But perhaps you just have to try, and find your way.

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for all the helpful responses. Based on a lifetime of intermittent dieting, I am going to err on the side of caution and continue to count calories, carb grams, and fat. I have never been able to eat whatever I want, so I am not sure why I thought this might be any different.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? ;)

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know that when I'm not watching the calories as well as the carbs I stop losing weight. My best periods are when I put everything into My Fitness Pal and record the lot. I do take breaks from doing that though.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To continue losing weight I have to count calories, 1200 is my optimum but I can go up to 1400 -1500 on weekends etc, anything over this and I start to gain weight, but I am a looooong way into my weight loss journey and at the beginning I could get away with eating a lot more - not now though:(:(

Yes we need to eat fewer calories at a lower weight - there's less of us to feed... And that's my problem too - I don't think I've allowed properly for this reduction! My common sense seems to have gone down with my weight...:wideyed:

Robbity

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest, I was hoping that I would eventually come to a place with my T2 that would allow me to not have to weigh and count everything. I am fine with it now, as I am still learning how my body reacts to certain foods, but a lifetime of measurement feels daunting.

Rosie, I have been tracking everything in MyFitnessPal too.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok yes there is a thing that almost everyone forgets. Whether your diet is carb limited or calorie limited or whatever, you have to adjust that limit as your weight goes down, otherwise you will plateau at best. (At worst your weight goes up, if the limit is set too high).

So as a made up example if you weigh 100kg and you go on a diet restricted to 100g carbs a day or 1000 calories a day (or both), then when you get down to 95kg you need to change your limit to 95 g carbs and/or 950 calories. Otherwise, you plateau.

(I'm making these numbers up just to show how it works).

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok yes there is a thing that almost everyone forgets. Whether your diet is carb limited or calorie limited or whatever, you have to adjust that limit as your weight goes down, otherwise you will plateau at best. (At worst your weight goes up, if the limit is set too high).

So as a made up example if you weigh 100kg and you go on a diet restricted to 100g carbs a day or 1000 calories a day (or both), then when you get down to 95kg you need to change your limit to 95 g carbs and/or 950 calories. Otherwise, you plateau.

(I'm making these numbers up just to show how it works).
Exactly my point Spiker :):)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Exactly my point Spiker :):)

Sorry I was just copying you. :sorry:

:)

It's a point that definitely bears repeating though!

But it took me about 10 months at a static lower weight before it decided to teach me a lesson and start to jump up again... What had me fooled for a while was seeing the general low carb advice to eat more fat to lose more weight... :banghead:

Robbity​