I cannot change my eating habits.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sarah, I sympathise with the chocolate addiction. Although my diabetes is well-controlled and I mainly eat a healthy diet, I have chocolate most days. And yes, I do think about it when it's not in the house. I limit myself to buying a certain amount each week. That way I can have a little bit each day to feed my addiction, but not eat too much. It depends what works for you really. I also avoid chocolates that are too exciting! If it's too nice, I'll struggle not to eat it all! So I buy more boring kinds.

It sounds like you're coping with quite a few other health problems, and that's not nice for anyone. I know what a burden diabetes can be sometimes. It's not easy. I hope your low carb works. Don't beat yourself up if you're not perfect. Tiny steps are often a good way to approach things.

Best of luck :)

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Did you eat that qty of choc before diagnosis?

The only reason for asking is that you may be just blaming diabetes for a habit that was not the best in the first place. This then actually makes it harder to change to better eatig habits because you can blame diabetes for making you eat less chocolate...

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your kind words. I am going to give the low carb another go. I will just concentrate on breakfast 1st of all.

More information about me I'm 46, was diagnosed with gestational diabetes in 1991 then it disappeared, I was told that I would probably have it later in life. Then it reappeared in 1997 to stay! Apart from diabetes I have osteoarthritis, I was diagnosed with depression in 2010 (due to undiagnosed chronic hip pain, later to be diagnosed in 2012 as osteoarthritis of the hip and needing a total hip and the fact I wasn't able to work) but slowly coming off anti depressants now. I'm on morphine for pain. I used to get bad headaches for days on end so now take tablets that prevent them. I have no idea why I'm so fussy with food. I don't really enjoy savoury and don't like spicy foreign foods. I like plain British foods, I like pasta meals and chilli and curry now and again. I work full time as a carer if I work a full day I'm up at 5.45am for a 7am start, I'm home again at 10am out between 12-2pm then home, then out from 4-8 and usually in bed by 9.30. Working these hours seems to make eating more difficult. When I wasn't working I could eat just 3 proper meals a day. I have no emotional issues connected with food I just like what I like. I have children aged 18 & 23 so have to buy for them also. I do have a limited budget for food. Apart from being a fussy eater my main issue is chocolate. I believe it may go back to when I was first diagnosed and probably being told 'you can't eat chocolate', so I did the opposite and ate more. I just love it, it is like a drug to me. If I eat some I'm fine and I don't mean just a small bar for instance if there's a pack of 4 ripples on offer for £1 I'll buy it and eat all four. I've eaten a sharing bag of malteasers at once. If I don't have any then it's on my mind and I'll have to go and buy it, this where I'm hoping a psychologist will help me. I don't know what else I can tell you about myself, I'm happy, loving the job I'm in, have a bit of debt but who doesn't! If there's anything else you want to know just ask. I am determined to try and give this low carb a go with the help of everyone but don't wish to be a pain in the ass!

Hello @Sarah69

Rather than ( or in addition to) the psychologist ) have you considered a hypnotherapist ?

Much like smoking & eating it may be possible to be treated so that you actually 'dislike' or 'couldn't care less' about chocolate

Obviously it requires some willpower but it may be an avenue you'd wish to consider :)

Reactions: 2 people

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @Sarah69

Rather than ( or in addition to) the psychologist ) have you considered a hypnotherapist ?

Much like smoking & eating it may be possible to be treated so that you actually 'dislike' or 'couldn't care less' about chocolate

Obviously it requires some willpower but it may be an avenue you'd wish to consider :)

A quick look on Google and this YouTube video might be a good start re : chocolate addiction hypnotherapy

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people believe that chocolate cravings are a good indicator of a magnesium deficiency. I've noticed when I'm taking magnesium supplements I'm much less inclined to even think about eating it.

Reactions: 8 people

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Did you eat that qty of choc before diagnosis?

The only reason for asking is that you may be just blaming diabetes for a habit that was not the best in the first place. This then actually makes it harder to change to better eatig habits because you can blame diabetes for making you eat less chocolate...

I really can't remember if I ate as much chocolate before diagnosis.

I have bought some plain greek style yoghurt (didn't realise it was so expensive!) will give it a go in the morning with some strawberrys. In another thread somebody mixed the yoghurt with sugar free free jelly powder so I'll try that too. Is rhubarb ok to have? Have also bought some of the burgen bread to try.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wouldn't it be great if we could just ignore it and carry on as normal but we all know basically that if we do we have horrible things to look forward to. The changes I have had to make are killing me .... but only in my mind.....the diabetes sure as heck isn't going to kill me...cos I refuse to let it. I have to use the mind set that i CAN and WILL change things...you can do that too Sarah....it isn't easy but it will ultimately save your life. Continuing to not deal with it will sadly have consequences. If you read the suggested links you will see what those consequences are and hopefully realise that you really don't want to go down that road

Reactions: 6 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I really can't remember if I ate as much chocolate before diagnosis.

I have bought some plain greek style yoghurt (didn't realise it was so expensive!) will give it a go in the morning with some strawberrys. In another thread somebody mixed the yoghurt with sugar free free jelly powder so I'll try that too. Is rhubarb ok to have? Have also bought some of the burgen bread to try.
Lidle .... full fat plain with cultures one pound fifty a litre tub.
Or make your own overnight.
I make a couple of litres over night from full fat milk.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
O
Lidle .... full fat plain with cultures one pound fifty a litre tub.
Or make your own overnight.
I make a couple of litres over night from full fat milk.

Unfortunately I can only shop at sainsburys!

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
O

Unfortunately I can only shop at sainsburys!

Hello @Sarah69
Even if you don't drive there must surely be a bus you can catch to somewhere with a wider selection of shops
Alternately, ask Sainsbury's if they will stock something you wish to buy - my local Tesco is only too happy to do that

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to eat tonnes of chocolate. I started dieting just before diagnoses and didn't have any chocolate until some month after diagnosis. Once the shock and shaking had got out of my system I was fine. Once it's out of the system it kind of stays out. I have chocolate now and find the taste uninspiring. I went on a long hike last week. Took a bar of Dairy Milk type chocolate with about 12 squares in it. I ate 4, and then stopped at a shop, binned the chocolate and bought a sandwich! It's a monumentally diificult few weeks - but when you're through it then you realise it was worth it

K

Kat100

Hi @Sarah69
You are always so brave talking about your diet and eating problems , you don't have a easy time .. Sorry about that ...
Good to know you are looking into ways of change .. Stay positive ... You keep trying that is the main thing ..
please feel free to PM me if you want to ...

Yes I remember a past chat , you can indeed only get a bus to sainsburys... Understand that ... ;)
Take care .. Don't give up .. You will get there .. Kat

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to eat tonnes of chocolate. I started dieting just before diagnoses and didn't have any chocolate until some month after diagnosis. Once the shock and shaking had got out of my system I was fine. Once it's out of the system it kind of stays out. I have chocolate now and find the taste uninspiring. I went on a long hike last week. Took a bar of Dairy Milk type chocolate with about 12 squares in it. I ate 4, and then stopped at a shop, binned the chocolate and bought a sandwich! It's a monumentally diificult few weeks - but when you're through it then you realise it was worth it

Much the same here @mikej1973

I have always carried a bar of chocolate in my walking rucksacks as its kinda the recommended thing for one of the 'always must have', like a compass , map, torch & spare batteries, waterproofs, etc..

Truth is, like you, with so long having weened myself (painfully, if only mentally) off chocolate, I too can't face it anymore

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Hi @Sarah69
You are always so brave talking about your diet and eating problems , you don't have a easy time .. Sorry about that ...
Good to know you are looking into ways of change .. Stay positive ... You keep trying that is the main thing ..
please feel free to PM me if you want to ...

Yes I remember a past chat , you can indeed only get a bus to sainsburys... Understand that ... ;)
Take care .. Don't give up .. You will get there .. Kat

I was going to start with the plain yoghurt this morning but had a hypo so stuck with rice crispies! I'm very restricted in supermarkets, I don't drive so go with my parents who shop at sainsburys. I live in a village and lidl's is quite far away and with my working hours have no time to get a bus! A frustrating situation really!

brottonmoores

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your kind words. I am going to give the low carb another go. I will just concentrate on breakfast 1st of all.

More information about me I'm 46, was diagnosed with gestational diabetes in 1991 then it disappeared, I was told that I would probably have it later in life. Then it reappeared in 1997 to stay! Apart from diabetes I have osteoarthritis, I was diagnosed with depression in 2010 (due to undiagnosed chronic hip pain, later to be diagnosed in 2012 as osteoarthritis of the hip and needing a total hip and the fact I wasn't able to work) but slowly coming off anti depressants now. I'm on morphine for pain. I used to get bad headaches for days on end so now take tablets that prevent them. I have no idea why I'm so fussy with food. I don't really enjoy savoury and don't like spicy foreign foods. I like plain British foods, I like pasta meals and chilli and curry now and again. I work full time as a carer if I work a full day I'm up at 5.45am for a 7am start, I'm home again at 10am out between 12-2pm then home, then out from 4-8 and usually in bed by 9.30. Working these hours seems to make eating more difficult. When I wasn't working I could eat just 3 proper meals a day. I have no emotional issues connected with food I just like what I like. I have children aged 18 & 23 so have to buy for them also. I do have a limited budget for food. Apart from being a fussy eater my main issue is chocolate. I believe it may go back to when I was first diagnosed and probably being told 'you can't eat chocolate', so I did the opposite and ate more. I just love it, it is like a drug to me. If I eat some I'm fine and I don't mean just a small bar for instance if there's a pack of 4 ripples on offer for £1 I'll buy it and eat all four. I've eaten a sharing bag of malteasers at once. If I don't have any then it's on my mind and I'll have to go and buy it, this where I'm hoping a psychologist will help me. I don't know what else I can tell you about myself, I'm happy, loving the job I'm in, have a bit of debt but who doesn't! If there's anything else you want to know just ask. I am determined to try and give this low carb a go with the help of everyone but don't wish to be a pain in the ass!
Hi Sarah
You deserve a medal for bravery for all your posts. When you have chronic pain every day simply getting through a day can seem impossible, and that is without fighting food cravings getting up and out to work juggling family issues all can seem to much to cope with can't it?
I too am on morphine for pain and all though I am better than I was with chocolate and any sweets i still have days when I think is it really worth making my self any more miserable by trying to feed my face with stuff better suited to sheep and rabbits than humans so when I have days I feel like that I concentrate on getting through the next hour without a sweet fix then think again about the next hour an so on because a whole day seems forever an hour is less scary
The main thing is you aren't alone in facing your demons pm me if you want to chat some more don't give up
Love and hugs to you and anyone else who has demons in the cupboards
Jan

Reactions: 10 people

Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
Hi Sarah,
I've been reflecting on your tale of woe and your difficulties facing a big shift in your diet.
My mother used to love the idea of "you are what you eat". This is true in the literal chemical sense, but also in the way that our diets are part of what define us as people.
4 months I had a big kick up the backside when my doctor rang me up to summon me following a blood test. I had been comfortably overweight for a fair old while, attempts to cut the fat to lose weight came to pretty much zilch. My Achilles heel was crisps and other savoury snacks. I realised that I needed what philosophers of science call a paradigm shift. I had to review my attitude to food and change some things fast. I could control the BG with diet and exercise - if I chose to.
Partly in discussion with my nurse, and partly as a result of reading, including this website my new diet evolved.
I set some non-negotiable markers.
No more crisps
No more cakes, biscuits, sweets etc. (this was less sad than the no more crisps).

I set some desirables
Heavily limit bread.
Carbs with cooked meals to be reduced.

I had some strategies.
smaller plate,
leave some food in the saucepan,
mix rice with other stuff
let Mrs P buy the boring bread she prefers (I then eat much less of it and feel less pain when the last bit has to be chucked).
less beer:grumpy:

I rediscovered salads - particularly red cabbage based slaw.
I rediscovered eggs
I rediscovered tinned fish.

my dislike of added sugar to things like pasta sauce was reinforced.:grumpy:

I got a glucose meter, and used it systematically for a while to review the effects of portion sizes and meals on the blood sugar.

I set the non-negotiables to draw a line in my brain (and the brains of those around me). The apparently nice ladies on the Desmond course tried ever so hard to convince me that there are no bad carbs. (Odd that they didn't reflect that cake is also quite high in dairy fat, which according to them is the work of the devil). I sort of accept this but take the view that the amount of cake I can tolerate is small, and that there are more interesting ways of getting carbs.

That's what I did - you have different views on food and possibly have more sensitive taste buds than me, leading to a dislike of veg and a greater love of chocolate.
I would respectfully suggest that you consider:
low carb breakfast- if you cannot move away from the boxes labelled Kellogg, look for the lower levels of carb, avoiding rice which is metabolised fast.
Have a good lunch, meat or fish to form a significant chunk of it, carb garnish, whatever vegetables you do like.
Find something less sugary for the evening when you get in after a hard days work.
Maybe chocolate needs to be saved for a Friday night indulgence, or in smaller bars, or substituted by cheese.
best wishes
Adam

Reactions: 8 people

Lucysmum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sarah,
I've been reflecting on your tale of woe and your difficulties facing a big shift in your diet.
My mother used to love the idea of "you are what you eat". This is true in the literal chemical sense, but also in the way that our diets are part of what define us as people.
4 months I had a big kick up the backside when my doctor rang me up to summon me following a blood test. I had been comfortably overweight for a fair old while, attempts to cut the fat to lose weight came to pretty much zilch. My Achilles heel was crisps and other savoury snacks. I realised that I needed what philosophers of science call a paradigm shift. I had to review my attitude to food and change some things fast. I could control the BG with diet and exercise - if I chose to.
Partly in discussion with my nurse, and partly as a result of reading, including this website my new diet evolved.
No more crisps
No more cakes, biscuits, sweets etc. (this was less sad than the no more crisps).

I set some desirables
Heavily limit bread.

I had some strategies.
smaller plate,
let Mrs P buy the boring bread she prefers (I then eat much less of it and feel less pain when the last bit has to be chucked).

I rediscovered eggs

I got a glucose meter, and used it systematically for a while to review the effects of portion sizes and meals on the blood sugar.

I set the non-negotiables to draw a line in my brain (and the brains of those around me). The apparently nice ladies on the Desmond course tried ever so hard to convince me that there are no bad carbs. (Odd that they didn't reflect that cake is also quite high in dairy fat, which according to them is the work of the devil). I sort of accept this but take the view that the amount of cake I can tolerate is small, and that there are more interesting ways of getting carbs.

That's what I did - you have different views on food and possibly have more sensitive taste buds than me, leading to a dislike of veg and a greater love of chocolate.
low carb breakfast- if you cannot move away from the boxes labelled Kellogg, look for the lower levels of carb, avoiding rice which is metabolised fast.
Have a good lunch, meat or fish to form a significant chunk of it, carb garnish, whatever vegetables you do like.
Find something less sugary for the evening when you get in after a hard days work.
Maybe chocolate needs to be saved for a Friday night indulgence, or in smaller bars, or substituted by cheese.
best wishes
Adam
Hi Sarah,
No more crisps

I set some desirables
Heavily limit bread.

I had some strategies.
smaller plate,

I rediscovered eggs

best wishes
Adam

Hi, I'm one of the skinny T2 diabetics on diet control for almost 2 years. Like you I don't like certain foods and yogurt was one of them. I tried the plain type but found it too bitter so I now buy the normal type but look for the lowest carbs and sugar. I then add berries and sprinkle on the top a couple of heaped teaspoons of Flax seed (the Flax seed was recommended by one of the forumers). This is now a nice breakfast. I also stopped buying any ... crisps, sweets, cakes, biscuits, buns, chocolate, ice cream etc as the temptation to indulge would be just too great. Oh it is difficult to walk past all the goodies in the supermarket but then I tell mysef that I will just undo all the good I've done, and probably feel guilty if I do indulge, so that I just walk on quickly past them. And I look at every packet or tin I buy for its carb and sugar content and this has been a real eye opener as to the amount of sugar particularly. I also found that supermarket own brands of cereal tend not to have as much sugar and carbs as the well known brands.

I set myself a level or no more than 10g of sugar in anything I buy, if its more it goes back on the shelf. I eat very, very, little white bread and have settled on small loaves of Seeded Batch as then, if I have a couple of slices, its not as bad as having a couple of slices of normal sized ones. The outcome of this is that I've lowered my BS levels and I've lost a stone and half in weight, which is not so good for me as its weight I did'nt want to lose, so now I'm trying to re-gain it.

I've started mixing a tub of Ricotta soft cheese with Mascarpone which I add vanilla essence to for taste or sometimes cocoa and then I freeze in individual pots. Whether these two together are good or not I have no idea but I just feel they are my little treat.

It is not easy changing eating habits but something we all have to do and we all go through the learning curve of finding out what we like and don't to make this disease as manageable as possible. I have learnt so much from reading the forums so thank you to all the contributors.

I also read somewhere thats its not good to go more than 5 hours between eating so, once I've had breakfast, then the clock starts counting.

Reactions: 7 people