So why should we avoid the amount of carbs currently recommended?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
A very good presentation.

A shame that I have an allergy to squeaky American blondes who roll their eyes a lot.

Will distribute :)

Reactions: 7 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great video, @graj0

Should be recommended viewing for all Type 2's. Explains better than most of us could why reducing carbs is such a good move.

Happyone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who are judgemental
I liked this presentation. I'm told by my diabetic nurse that we have to eat cabs, but after reading comments and watching this I will try and cut down then remove cabs.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice one. I even managed to overcome my squeaky blonde resistance, because the vid was so good.
Thanks for posting it.

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I liked this presentation. I'm told by my diabetic nurse that we have to eat cabs, but after reading comments and watching this I will try and cut down then remove cabs.

If you remove carbs then you will become ill. It is a necessity to eat some but how much is tricky.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you remove carbs then you will become ill. It is a necessity to eat some but how much is tricky.

Did you watch the video?
And how are you defining carbs? Non starchy veg? Or starchy carbs like wholegrains, grains, and root veg?

Because gluconeogenesis (a naturally occuring process in the body) will convert protein to glucose, providing the miniscule amount of glucose that the brain needs to function. There is absolutely zilch need for starchy carbs in the diet.

Although there is, of course, a need for veg, for the fibre and other dietary nutrients they provide (although even that is debatable, because there are studies on indigenous peoples that suggest minimal veg intake may be a viable alternative). Personally, I LIKE veg.

Reactions: 8 people

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You originally said ....I will try and cut down then remove cabs.
emoji43.png

Now you are saying..... There is absolutely zilch need for starchy carbs in the diet.

I replied to the first statement which I read as if you were wanting to remove ALL carbs.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
emoji43.png

Now you are saying..... There is absolutely zilch need for starchy carbs in the diet.

I replied to the first statement which I read as if you were wanting to remove ALL carbs.
you may have got mixed up on who posted what.......

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
emoji43.png

Firstly you are mixing up who said what, secondly there is no need for starchy carbs. Nobody is saying you can remove all carbs, even salad leaves have a little.

Anyway, thanks for the video @graj0

Reactions: 2 people

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Happyone posted the original post I was referring to and Brunneria defended the post. so my post was aimed at both.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you quote a post, or type the @ symbol, followed by the person's name, like this:

@bobrobert

Then they know that they are being addressed, and they also get a notification that you have responded to them.
Its useful to avoid this kind of misunderstanding.

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you read #7 then you will see I quoted @Happyone precisely. The way I interpreted the statement it was advocating removing ALL carbs. There was a member on here a while back advocating eating zero carbs. New members might have thought the same way I did whilst reading the post?

Happyone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who are judgemental
OMG what have I started. Only just joined this forum so still getting to grips with expressing myself clearly. Sorry, will just observe for a while before joining in.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OMG what have I started. Only just joined this forum so still getting to grips with expressing myself clearly. Sorry, will just observe for a while before joining in.
You're doing fine, carry on posting :)

Reactions: 9 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Happyone

Please don't worry. there is healthy debate, and there is wanting to be right all the time.
We get both around here, and you quickly learn to enjoy one, and ignore the other.

(and that means you get to ignore my posts too, if you like ;) )

I for one look forward to you posting and contributing as much as you want. :)
And the more questions you ask, the better, because every question asked, helps other people who don't have the confidence to post to get answers too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@graj0, thanks for that. Repeats what we already know we should do. Always good to see it re enforced.