Need to talk to someone...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Where did you get this information from ?? Ok so there is a small risk of your child getting type 1 if you have it - however the chances are more like 10% not 50%. Please check your info carefully before suggesting this as it sounds like a scaremongering fact and to be honest when I was pregnant thinking that my child might inherit this illness was the last thing on my mind, head awash with hormones, panic etc. I certainly didn't think about losing anything by having my child, I was gaining something more valuable by having a child. I have friends who have struggled and miscarried many times, so realising how others had struggled made me realise how precious and fortunate we were.

Every child is a miracle and this is exactly how I saw my child, once i'd got my head round it I just got on with it, it is a decision that stays with you for life whatever you decide but realising from all sides and taking an intuitive decision about what is right for you is more important - not to scare someone with ill quoted facts.
I'm sorry if it sounded uninformed, but this is what I read in my diabetes handbook after I left the hospital. My intentions were absolutely NOT scaring anyone - who would want that? I just wanted to help.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
If this is what the NHS are sending out then that's terrible. That would put off alot of women wanting to conceive, I really didn't think about this when I was pregnant, in fact it was the last thing on my mind.

Do you know who published this handbook ?

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think this is a difficult sensitive topic that facts can't really judge. Might inform but who knows what life can do

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If this is what the NHS are sending out then that's terrible. That would put off alot of women wanting to conceive, I really didn't think about this when I was pregnant, in fact it was the last thing on my mind.

Do you know who published this handbook ?
I will look for the handbook and upload a picture when I get home. As far as I remember, it was a local doctor from my country that published it. I don't think there is a large number of patients outside my city that get access to it.

Emily95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If the mother is type 1 diabetic, there is a 1-4% chance the child will be type 1. If the father is type 1 diabetic there is a 4-8% chance the child will have type 1 diabetes. This is the same for each child you have, first child, second child, third child, the chance with each pregnancy is the same.

Reactions: 4 people

Kerry-Michelle

Thank you for all of your posts :) we have decided to carry on with the pregnancy I have cancelled my termination appointment and I have a scan next Wednesday the earliest the doctors could sort me out was next week after battling with them at the surgery it's finally being sorted.. Sometimes I wonder how this child will be affected but I'm put at ease as I've spoken to my DSN and she has talked me through it and said they will do a more detailed scan on Wednesday find out how far I am and what next steps to take! I thank you all for your support!! I really really do appreciate having all you guys to talk too! :)

All the best!! X

Reactions: 12 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
If the mother is type 1 diabetic, there is a 1-4% chance the child will be type 1. If the father is type 1 diabetic there is a 4-8% chance the child will have type 1 diabetes. This is the same for each child you have, first child, second child, third child, the chance with each pregnancy is the same.

Ah statistics!

According to the information on this website,
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-genetics.html

....... if your mother or father is diabetic your risk INCREASES by between 2 and 15% depending on whether you are talking about T1 or T2. This is not the same as saying you have a 2 to 15% chance of getting diabetes in the first place.

But who believes statistics anyway?

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
we have decided to carry on with the pregnancy I have cancelled my termination appointment and I have a scan next Wednesday
Delighted to hear it, congratulations.

You've done the hardest bit - made a decision - and once you've done that, you'll no doubt feel much, much happier. And by getting the medics on board at the earliest, you will have the right support from the outset.

Very best wishes, I'm really happy for you.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So pleased for you...congratulations to you both. It's a massive decision but one that I'm sure you won't regret.

Best wishes to you both and hope everything goes smoothly for you. Please keep us posted on how you're getting on x

aprilia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Worm
Well hai...
i think better if u ask ur doctor for that... HbA1c around or up to 6.5% is not really good..
For me if u have a baby, u must responsible for taking care this baby.. he/she is not know about why she/he must born...
and also for u both..
if i were u, i will keep this baby alive and she/he will born healthy, and i learn to control my health...
i really know how does life felt when u knew u got diabetic, hey.. but its not always getting bad..
u must felt grateful because u still alive and and can do all things... (even sometimes its easily for u getting tired)..

email address removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
So pleased you have made a decision Kerry, it's deciding what to do that can be the hardest part, as I said in an earlier post there is never really a perfect time. It sounds like your DSN is very supportive so that's good to hear.

Good luck and let us know how it goes x

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Kerry that is THE BEST decision, no question, I am so so happy for you. You'll all manage, and your health team will back you up, and that is the RIGHT RIGHT decision to make. I mean the other decision wouldn't have been wrong, but this is the decision for so much happiness.

I sometimes think that we don't really become fully human until we have children. Yes it does change your life. But it makes it so much deeper, and forces you to engage with reality at a so much deeper level.

Well done, and thank goodness. My little daughter would say the same - if she knew.

Ecstatic. Love and hugs, Lucy

Reactions: 2 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
And yes, you will need support and help. But just ask for it, and on the whole, you'll get it. From us too.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good luck with it all. You will get so much support you will become sick of hospitals so there are lots on your team

carol anne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Mashed potato
Hi @Kerry-Michelle. This is an enormous decision and one that only you can make.

Given your doubts maybe you should seek advice from your parents or someone else that you trust.

I was younger than you...only 19 in fact when I had my daughter...under very similar circumstances...the pill failed me...and I couldn't bring myself to go through with an abortion so I went ahead and had my daughter who is now just slightly younger than you at nearly 22. Would I change anything? Absolutely not...she's my world. But that doesn't mean it's been easy...my partner and I split when she was 2 and I've spent much of the last 20 years raising her on my own on very little money and with very little support from her dad...I've missed out on numerous opportunities in terms of careers...university etc as well as watching my friends
enjoying holidays...fancy cars...clothes etc. Is your relationship strong enough to last the distance? Are you working...studying? Are you prepared to make these kind of sacrifices?

On the flip side...to give a balanced view...I am now 40 and despite the hardships of the last 20 years...I've worked hard and have only 3 years left on my mortgage...my daughter and I now enjoy a comfortable(ish) lifestyle and are really close...it's proof that it can be done with a little grit and determination.

I can understand your fears in terms of your health and this really should be a big consideration...carrying a baby puts a huge strain on the body...more so as a diabetic...I was diagnosed when my daughter was 6 so I have no experience of diabetes and pregnancy but I'm sure there are people here who can advise on this or maybe you could speak with your diabetes team in regards to this if you want to consider that option.

Maybe most importantly you and your partner need to be in complete agreement in whatever you decide so not to cause any resentment between you but please remember also that ultimately it's your body...it's your health and it will be you left holding the baby if anything goes wrong.

If your relationship is strong...you will still be together in a few years time and when the time is right...your BG is under control and you're both ready to embrace the challenges of parenthood you can give it another go.

I wish you both the very best in whatever you decide. X
I had my son when I was 24 and diabetic for 5 years and it was fine he's now 35 years old and no probs so if you want to have your baby don't worry your doc will look after you every thing happens for a reason I have found good luck

Sarahkylie7

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi aprilia

Just to let you know, u can be as well controlled as u like, but when your hormones kick in it can completely change your sugars and it's not something u can help! Believe me! My sugar was perfect the rest of the time and would have been lower than 6.9% if my hormones hasn't made my sugar goo really high in the morning! In theory 'looking after yourself and baby' sounds easy but your body doesn't want to make it easy!

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Kerry my pregnancy was a surprise 10 years ago! My hba1c had not been fantastic the months leading up to this, however I made sure I clamped down on my control and I was scrupulously well controlled for 9 months. It was hard but I was highly motivated. My daughter arrived healthy at 7lb 7oz. I wish I could get hba1c results like those during my pregnancy, I have never been able to achieve that again. Good luck, I enjoyed being pregnant! My daughter is 10 now and is a healthy child xx

Kerry-Michelle

Hi guys thank you for all your replies!! I've been really busy recently but just thought I'd update everyone! :) I had my scan this week and I am now 7 weeks 5 days and they've said all is okay for now so just to carry on as I am :) I hope everyone is well!! :) x

Reactions: 8 people