Lab Results

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Totto, what is NDT? I chose to not take medication because I felt okay, and my TSH levels bounced in and out of the normal range the entire three years I was monitored. The last time I was checked was 2009, so it will be good to check it again before my doctor appointment next week.
Natural dessicated thyroid extract. It's the kind of thyroid hormones that was used before they could make synthetic thyroid hormones and many of us who has tried both prefer the natural. It contains all the thyroid hormones, not only T4.

Fibroymyalgia is a common symptom of hypothyroidism.

Reactions: 2 people

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Totto. Good to know. It's funny, I'm looking at my medical records from 12 years ago. TSH levels were 0.28, then 0.69, then 0.42 over a 10 month period, (reference range is 0.4–4.2). Diagnosis was thyroiditis. I have no idea what any of this means. Going to research it now. :)

I was curious as to how symptoms fibromyalgia can actually be due to hypothyroidism. I just read this from a the Stop the Thyroid Madness website... http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/fibromyalgia/ Thanks for sharing this information with me. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Winnie53 Thanks for all these links to read - I've been digesting the magnesium deficiency ones you posted yesterday at intervals through today and will have a better look at the one you just posted in post #22 later too. I've been asking medics for several years to check my thyroid and they just always tell me that my TSH is within perfectly normal range. The idea of 'thyroid hormone resistance' as mentioned in the article is of interest - if I'm already insulin resistant, why not? Appreciate the links, thank you.

Edited for odd formatting.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@BooJewels Over the years, I've tried many times to make sense of my thyroid issues. Today I'm going through the Stop the Thyroid Madness website to figure out what lab work I need to request when I see my doctor next week. For now, I've requested the TSH test, so I can at least see how my lab result compares to 12 years ago.

Oh, from what I've read over the last couple of months, magnesium deficiencies are very common, so I now take 150 - 450 mg magnesium citrate a day. I'd take the higher amount, if I'd remember to take it with each meal. I'll be interested in hearing what you learn. :)

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Winnie53 Thanks for all these links to read - I've been digesting the magnesium deficiency ones you posted yesterday at intervals through today and will have a better look at the one you just posted in post #22 later too. I've been asking medics for several years to check my thyroid and they just always tell me that my TSH is within perfectly normal range. The idea of 'thyroid hormone resistance' as mentioned in the article is of interest - if I'm already insulin resistant, why not? Appreciate the links, thank you.

Edited for odd formatting.
The TSH test has its values but is sadly so often misinterpreted. I was ill with a TSH of 0.9 as this was far too high for me. And the normal range goes up to 4.5 in my area, never managed that. With a TSH of 2.2 I was a bedridden, demented wreck.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got more lab test results today...

Free T4 is 1.00 ng/dL normal (reference range 0.61 - 1.12 ng/dL)

T3, Total is 0.89 ng/mL normal (reference range 0.73 - 1.78 ng/mL)

TSH is 0.07 mIU/L low (reference range 0.34 - 5.6 mIU/L)

Looking at my TSH results from 12 years ago. TSH ranged from 0.28 - 0.69 over a 10 month period. I've never been as low as 0.07 My diagnosis then was thyroiditis. Thyroid hormone replacement was suggested but I kept popping back into the normal range, so didn't consider it.

Thyroid problems are so confusing. After searching online today, I finally found an interpretation of the results... http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/t4/tab/all?printpreview=1 According to the table at the end of the article, my current lab test results are suggestive of mild (subclinical) hyperthyroidism or hyperthyroidism.

Ordered the wrong CRP test - (only good for inflammatory conditions treated by rheumatologists, so will call doctor tomorrow to request the hsCRP test that is specific for heart disease risk.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got more lab test results today...

Free T4 is 1.00 ng/dL normal (reference range 0.61 - 1.12 ng/dL)

T3, Total is 0.89 ng/mL normal (reference range 0.73 - 1.78 ng/mL)

TSH is 0.07 mIU/L low (reference range 0.34 - 5.6 mIU/L)

Looking at my TSH results from 12 years ago. TSH ranged from 0.28 - 0.69 over a 10 month period. I've never been as low as 0.07 My diagnosis then was thyroiditis. Thyroid hormone replacement was suggested but I kept popping back into the normal range, so didn't consider it.

Thyroid problems are so confusing. After searching online today, I finally found an interpretation of the results... http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/t4/tab/all?printpreview=1 According to the table at the end of the article, my current lab test results are suggestive of mild (subclinical) hyperthyroidism or hyperthyroidism.

Ordered the wrong CRP test - (only good for inflammatory conditions treated by rheumatologists, so will call doctor tomorrow to request the hsCRP test that is specific for heart disease risk.
Odd results. Your TSH is very low but the thyroid hormones aren't high. On the contrary, your TT3 is on the low side. Why wasn't the free T3 tested?

Have you ever had thyroid antibodies tested? It might be a good idea to test them all, not only TPO-AB but TgAB and I've forgotten the last one, there are three anyway.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Totto, this was very confusing for me too, in part because I always thought I had hypothyroidism. After quite a bit of searching, I finally came across this information - (skip over the text and scroll down to the table at the end of it)... http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/t4/tab/all?printpreview=1

With a possible diagnosis of subclinical hyperthyroidism, I was then able to do additional searches and found this... http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3693616/

It explains step-by-step what I need to do. The first step is having my thyroid examined to check for a goiter or nodule, which, if present, will require removal. The next step is retesting in 1 - 3 months to see if the problem spontaneously resolves on its own, which is what I'm hoping for.

The lab tests ordered are the standard for diagnosing subclinical hyperthyroidism, which affects 0.5% of children and 15% of the elderly, age 65 or older. I'm in my mid-50's so hoping I'll be able to put off killing my thyroid for a while yet. If that happens, I'm going to request the natural desiccated thyroid extract you use. But again, my hope is that I'll pop back into the normal range. Unlikely, but I can hope...

Informed is empowered.

The good news is that after months of lab tests, dieting, supplementing, exercising, networking, resting, and researching - (I took three months off from work to do this; I'm between jobs) - I feel I FINALLY know what my body needs and I'm doing it. Wish I'd done this for myself years ago.

You and others here have been so supportive. There were times when I felt so discouraged. Thank you for listening to and responding to me with information and ideas these last three months as I've worked my way through this labyrinth. I could not have done this without you. I [heart] the diabetes.co.uk community. :)

Reactions: 4 people

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I got another lab test result on Sunday.

My C-Reactive Protein (CRP) was 0.5 mg/dL, normal - (reference range <0.8 normal). Happy about that result, but quickly realized I hadn't requested the test specific for cardiovascular inflammation, so called doctor to request it.

Got that result back on Tuesday. My highly sensitive C-Reactive Protein (hsCRP) result was 3.3 mg/L, high, four years ago, and is now even higher at 4.9 mg/L - (reference range: low <1.00; average 1.00 - 3.00; high >3.00) so I have a ways to go yet. I think I just need to give the diet, supplements, and exercise more time.

Incredibly, I was successful in getting my medical records from the endocrinologist I saw 2004 - 2006 and the naturopath I saw in 2011. I'm still reviewing and processing those lab results.

From 2004 to 2006, my A1C's were 5.5, 5.7, 5.5, and 5.6 - (reference range: 4.0 - 6.0 normal). In 2009, my A1C was 7.3, high. In 2011, my A1C was 8.4, high. In February of this year, my A1C was 9.9, high. So that means my blood glucose has been higher than I'm comfortable with since 2011...not good.

I've never taken diabetes medications.

After three and a half months on the LCHF diet, my A1C is now 5.5, normal, so that's good.

Saw the doctor for my three month diabetes follow-up on Wednesday. Will start a new topic to talk about it...

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
High High sensitive CRP rings a bell. Are others in your family diabetic? I think one of the MODY varieties show high hsCRP as a typical trait.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, my maternal grandmother who was physically active, but overweight had type 2 diabetes. And my mother, who began to gain weight in her mid-30's lost the weight with exercise, and for most of her adult life has minimized sugar in her diet, so she likely is a tightly controlled pre-diabetic. Unfortunately, she's carrried the diagnosis of early stage dementia for years - (she'll be 80 this year!) - yet due to her diet and exercise, she's still living independently. Yet another testimonial to the power of diet and exercise.

I think Totto, you may be onto something in that sustained high blood glucose levels over time worsen inflammation. To illustrate, I'm going to talk a little more about my lab results over time...

date...................10/04............01/06............07/09............05/11............02/15...........05/15...........reference range

cholesterol.........213...............254...............227...............231...............229..............236..............optimal <200 mg/dL

triglycerides.......115...............149...............180...............171...............126..............123..............optimal <150 mg/dL

HDL.....................53.................60.................43.................51.................44................50...............40 - 60 mg/dL

LDL....................137.............. 164...............155...............146...............165..............166...............optimal <120 mg/dL

hsCRP-Cardio..................................................................3.29...................................4.90..............low <1.00; average 1.00 - 3.00; high >3.00

A1C..........................................5.5................7.3................8.4................9.9................5.5..............4.0 - 5.6 normal
........................................................................................................................................................5.7 - 6.4 pre-diabetes
........................................................................................................................................................>/= 6.5 diabetes

I read an article by Dr. Sears, creator of The Zone Diet, in which he talked about how lowering blood glucose improves lipid panels. I don't see evidence of that yet, but I've only been on the LCHF diet for 3 1/2 months.

There are other influences at work here too.

From 2007 to 2009 I was under a tremendous amount of stress due to my employer's 2 years of cancer treatment - it was brutal for her. This greatly increased my work load during this period. It's interesting to note that my triglycerides were their highest at the end of that period suggesting I coped by eating more carbs. Looking at my 2011 triglycerides, I think I was still stressed, still eating more carbs.

In 2011, I was formally diagnosed with non celiac gluten sensitivity. The result was eating less carbs and a huge drop in my triglycerides.

I have no explanation other than the high blood glucose levels for my worsening lipid panel and hsCRP-Cardio number.

My hope is that I'll see additional improvements in my lipid panel and hsCRP-Cardio over the next 3 - 6 months, following 4 years of high blood glucose levels. :)