Thinking about cutting my statin

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i have been pumping for about 7 weeks now and my BG is great but i feel rubbish..
i don't no if it could be my statin
i'm not a low carber but only eat 80 carbs a day. and little fat. but the pain in my joints is terrible around about midday and i have to take pain killers.
this is the same pain that you get if your on statins and eat grapefruit .people who have done this will no what i mean .:inpain:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The only way to see whether it is statins is to stop them.

How long have you been on them? Were you given a test to see intolerance 6 weeks after you started taking them? This us normally done for rhabdymolis (can't spell). It doesn't show anything though for joint pains..

I got the same. I stopped.

Reactions: 4 people

iHs

A pump wont cause joint pains so guess it could be a side effect of the statin.
Try another type like low dose atorvastatin maybe

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The only way to see whether it is statins is to stop them.

How long have you been on them? Were you given a test to see intolerance 6 weeks after you started taking them? This us normally done for rhabdymolis (can't spell). It doesn't show anything though for joint pains..

I got the same. I stopped.
I've been on them for years 10+ i could never eat citrus with them.
never been test for anything i expect joint pain as i getting older and always done hard physical work. i think i was born with a bad back..
thanks i will look up that word.
i cant spell..:)

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Have you spoken to your GP?

Its not likely to be pump...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Joint pain can be a side-effect of taking statins so probably best that you go and mention this to your gp (ask to see another Dr if there's more than one in the practice).

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
I don't take any tablets, they all make me feel weird

Sweetbaboo99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tried two different statins....both left me feeling that I was living life in an old person's body (I'm 49) with terrible aches and pains in my joints. I had to roll out of bed in the mornings as it hurt too much to sit up. A few weeks after stopping the statins all of the joint problems eased massively. Given the choice of taking statins for their benefits versus not taking them, I know which I would choose based on my own experience.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I do the LCHF and my cholesterol has reduced so much I have just stopped taking my statin, under the gidence of my HFN .. As I had been on them for around 10 years and was advised they needed to be reduced slowly ... I did this and I do feel a lot better now.
What strength of stain are you taking at the moment ?

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
Hi diagnosed t2 13/5th/ just got back from doctors because bs was up and down like a yo yo been given 20mg tablets of atorvastatin hope i dont get any side efects as i drive for a living.