steroid induced diabetes and how to keep weight on?

richard54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I'm new to this forum and a newly diagnosed T2 through years of painkilling steroid injections. The problem I am having is that I am suffering rapid wight loss. My meds are slow release Metaformin 750mg 3x day; I've had advice from about carbs and such like, but they seem to push up my levels. I'm trying to eat high fat foods, but am concerned about cholesterol levels as I am already on statins. I have lost over 2 stone since diagnosis 2 months ago and more prior to that. I am still in the weight range for my height (just!) but I am very worried that the weight loss is not slowing down at all. Please, if anyone has advice I would be very grateful.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi, I'm new to this forum and a newly diagnosed T2 through years of painkilling steroid injections. The problem I am having is that I am suffering rapid wight loss. My meds are slow release Metaformin 750mg 3x day; I've had advice from about carbs and such like, but they seem to push up my levels. I'm trying to eat high fat foods, but am concerned about cholesterol levels as I am already on statins. I have lost over 2 stone since diagnosis 2 months ago and more prior to that. I am still in the weight range for my height (just!) but I am very worried that the weight loss is not slowing down at all. Please, if anyone has advice I would be very grateful.
No idea what your blood sugars are like but if you were me I would go back to the Drs and ask if in fact you are type 1, thus you need insulin

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with CarbsRok that continued wieght loss could be due to lack of insulin and possibly being T1. Steroids do cause a lot of problems as well as helping with many. They are best kept at the lowest possible dose and only as long as needed as agreed with the GP. Let us know your last HBa1C or current meter readings. Keep up the low-carb but ensure you have enough proteins and carbs

richard54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the feedback. I was diagnosed inApril this year and at the time my HBA1c was 103. and my meter readings vary alot but average out to between 7 and 10.5. I am 54

richard54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
meant to add that I have only been on the 750 Metformin SR for 3 days, was on 500g 3x day before