Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emptyplate

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Indeed and that's why I am uncomfortable with the uncertainty.

I get that but, unfortunately, that's the nature of blood glucose meters.

If you're really worried ask your doctor for a blood glucose test - those are the most accurate.

It would be reasonable to compare that with a finger prick test on your blood glucose test meter taken at the same time.

vit90 said:
Nevertheless, if pre and post meal differences are low it would be logical to deduce that I have regained some insulin sensitivity. But again, would that mean baseline glucose levels should be back to a normal range?

Yes, that would be logical. I'm not sure what you mean by baseline blood glucose levels. They tend to fluctuate throughout the day. A good indicator is the morning fasting level - hence this thread but, that takes time and lots of consistency to reduce.

vit90 said:
Can you have good insulin sensitivity and a high-ish glucose average? I have no idea!

I would suggest that is unlikely. The only reliable average I know of is the HbA1c which by the nature of it testing the glycated haemoglobin would suggest that the sustained lows of good insulin sensitivity would reduce the impact of high spikes.

Reactions: 8 people
S

Sable_Jan

I tend to eat more carbs than many on here in that I still eat bread, some cereals, reheated pasta, potatoes etc and my BS levels are between 4.7 and 5.8 and I'm still, albeit slowly, losing weight. We are all individuals and, as diabetes control is for life not just for Christmas, we need to find a way of doing it which we feel comfortable with and that we can cope with in the long term.
Absolutely 110% with you on that :):)

Reactions: 11 people

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
Good morning all. My fasting reading was 6.3 after a 6.0 bedtime reading.

Reactions: 16 people
S

Sable_Jan

6.1 mmol / L this morning.
3.6 mmol / L at bed time.

I suspect my liver dumped some glucagon at bed time to counter act the low.

I double checked the reading with a 3.7 mmol / L result. I was going to eat something to bring my blood glucose up a tad but, thought I'd try an experiment with my normal bed time food.

Result of which was I couldn't drift off for some time - probably due to liver dump.

Conclusion is next time eat something to slightly raise blood glucose level before consuming normal bed time food.
Like a game off chess with the strategies we need to employ in the beat diabetes game ;)

Reactions: 10 people
S

Sable_Jan

Right knee replacement , they have cancelled on me twice and changed surgeon so this is third time lucky
Hope all goes well. I've had both hips done and they made the world of difference. Post op exercise for hips not so vigorous as that needed for knees I believe but you'll defo feel the benefit... Hope all goes smoothly and you'll be back home before you know it... x

Reactions: 2 people
S

Sable_Jan

I was actually wondering the other day how long the battery in the meter would last. I have spares in the house anyway as the codefree meter's battery is used in lots of other household devices. Have had my meter for about six months and probably done just over a hundred tests - not that many to be honest, although am testing more now than I used to.
I've got the contour next USB. Just pop it into a phone charger plug and I'm up and running again in abt half an hour...though low battery warning gives me fair warning so can still test if I can't charge straight away

Reactions: 4 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
6.3 fasting,6,3 before bed last night.
Stays in 6 before lunch then goes down to 5 before dinner.That seems to be my trend.

Reactions: 19 people

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get that but, unfortunately, that's the nature of blood glucose meters.

If you're really worried ask your doctor for a blood glucose test - those are the most accurate.

It would be reasonable to compare that with a finger prick test on your blood glucose test meter taken at the same time.

Yes, that would be logical. I'm not sure what you mean by baseline blood glucose levels. They tend to fluctuate throughout the day. A good indicator is the morning fasting level - hence this thread but, that takes time and lots of consistency to reduce.

I would suggest that is unlikely. The only reliable average I know of is the HbA1c which by the nature of it testing the glycated haemoglobin would suggest that the sustained lows of good insulin sensitivity would reduce the impact of high spikes.

Yes, as I said the DN will be doing a non-fasting finger-prick test in the next two weeks or so (I need to book an appointment) and my 6-monthly venous blood test is now due so I have to arrange for an appointment for blood to be taken and so the HbA1c figure will be interesting. BG down from 5.7 fasting to 5.3 (an hour after the first test) before breakfast and will test 1 and 2 hours after and do the same for lunch (which will be a bit more carby in order to see what happens) and supper. I'll join the what have you eaten thread elsewhere in the forum with the details rather than here.

Reactions: 10 people

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I had a later than usual test, about 2 hours after waking, and it was 7.7 (last night 6.6). I need to start logging my food intake again, as I think I'm eating Bernstein LC, but maybe I've relaxed too much...

Reactions: 19 people

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
4.0 this morning :)

Thinking I might stop testing while I'm on the Newcastle Diet as I am getting consistent readings

Reactions: 22 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.2 fasting catching up on a wrong trend here.
Still using steroid creams on my hands.
Any where else I could prick please?
Any suggestions.
I tried and punctured a few places in hope of a drop but there was none :mad::banghead:

Reactions: 16 people
S

Sable_Jan

Any suggestions.
I tried and punctured a few places in hope of a drop but there was none :mad::banghead:
Have heard of using inner upper arm but never tried it

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Any suggestions.

I'm unsure if the advice has changed but one time the advice was to consult your diabetes care team if you were considering AST (alternative site testing).

Reactions: 2 people

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was 6.5 this morning after 5.7 last night. Haven't posted much here as it's pretty much the same and I'm confused. I've read about the dawn thing but not sure how to stop it! Always lower before bed in the low 6 or high 5 and always mid 6 when waking

Reactions: 14 people

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh forgot to add, I get up around 4-6 am To give baby her bottle then go back to bed and wake around 7, I test between 7 and half 7

Reactions: 5 people

orchid5

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Strangely this am contour read 6.9, didn't have enough blood for codefree so squeezed again bs 6.3! My little codefree was a mmol/l higher than my last fasting blood so it will be somewhere between those figures. I know when my sugars are off beam due to being bleary eyed, for the last few weeks since starting on SR metformin my eyesight has been very sharp!

Reactions: 12 people
Status
Not open for further replies.