What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Christinerm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: Scrambled eggs made with cream and butter
L: Homemade vegetable soup with 2 almond “scones”
D: Hot smoked salmon, cauliflower egg salad, sugar free jelly & cream

Reactions: 7 people

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Ahhh yes...I think I recall someone telling me that pasta left in the fridge and re heated next day is less fattening and better for you...maybe thats why...woohoo thank you for reminding me...So pleased you can now have a small portion....maybe I will be able to as well...another food to be put to the test :D
Cook the pasta as normal, cool quickly under cold water and refridgerate. (This is for food safety reasons.)
Reheat, preferably the same day and enjoy, hopefully, you will get ok result:)

Reactions: 4 people

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Flax/Psyllium 'Toast' with Peanut Butter (I seem able to eat the standard PB without any dramas :) )
L: Minestrone (no pasta) with Almond/Cheese Bread
D: Veggie Burger with Salad - might risk a small handful of oven fries for research purposes & follow up with a session on the gym bike

Reactions: 6 people

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B- 1/2 c Fage with shredded coconut and walnuts
L- (will be) 3 oz strip steak with avocado, salsa, sour cream over greens with cucumber slices on the side
D- (will be) Italian sausage with sautéed spinach, peppers, and mushrooms in butter
S- chia pudding

Last night, I went to a dark place and HAD to have something sweet and rich. So, without falling off the wagon, I redirected myself to a few ounces of softened cream cheese and SF Torani coffee syrup mixed in. Crisis averted and I didn't touch the brownies I made for the kids' choir party.

My cravings have certainly decreased since going LCHF, but they do pop up at the strangest times.

I hear you on the craving thing - I rarely get them but when i do I get them bad. Lindt 85% is great for the chocolate cravings but sometimes chocolate just won't cut it.

Reactions: 4 people

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Got all inspired by your success @Gezzabelle & thought I'd try making oopsies but my poxy cream of tartar is out of date :(

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A weird day yesterday.

B: a 9bar and a small coffeencream
L: crustless quiche and a coyo
D: cauliflower cheese with a little mattersons and chillis

That is the lowest I've managed to keep my protein for days, and boy could I feel it!
Who'da thought it would make such a difference to the way I feel, and not in a good way.
I cannot believe that dropping protein for a day, tips me into carb flu, especially since I am in (or on the edge of ) ketosis all the time. So something else is clearly happening. But I don't know what, except that gluconeogenesis is playing a part.

And I'm on my own with this. Its the kind of fine tuning that no HCP would be interested in.

Maybe I should start a thread over in the LADA section. They seem to appreciate this kind of BG tweaking the best...

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast was a linseed/flaxseed microwave muffin made with 30g milled seed, a teaspoon of coconut oil, some water to add moisture, an egg plus salt and pepper (and of course half a teaspoon of baking soda to make it rise) thoroughly mixed (melting the coconut oil first) and microwaving at full power for 90 seconds. I had this warm with some cream cheese, some slices of ham and a second fried egg. I make it around 450 calories, 40g fat, 25g protein, 5g carbs and 8g fibre. First blood test fasting before breakfast was 5.7, which dropped an hour later to 5.3 just before I tucked-in and an hour later my reading was 6.0 (afterf a shower, which I mention as for some a shower can raise BG). Will follow with a test on the two hour mark and update this post then. Am also going to do this for lunch and supper :) Oh, and drinks have been two espressos sweetened with sucralose and some water.

Reactions: 8 people

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cook the pasta as normal, cool quickly under cold water and refridgerate. (This is for food safety reasons.)
Reheat, preferably the same day and enjoy, hopefully, you will get ok result:)

Is refrigeration enough? I thought you had to freeze it to harden the starch?

C

CheeseJunkie

Yesterday:
B: bowl of Greek yoghurt, blueberries and lots of seeds
L: left-over cauliflower cheese with extra cheese on top
D: was a party buffet. I kept to the no-carb offerings: fried peppers, BBQ chicken, whitebait, hummus, and only a teeny tiny bit of sweet potato

Today:
B: back to the Greek yoghurt, and this time subtracting the blueberries and adding lots more seeds (sunflower, sesame, linseed, pumpkin) plus a helping of ground cinnamon. Slightly less yoghurt and more seeds. Tasty.

I must try the oopsie bread.

Reactions: 9 people
C

CheeseJunkie

By the way, linseed and flax seed are the same thing.
I get packets of golden linseed (carb 1.7g per 100g) from Waitrose for £2.25 for 500g (which is less than half the price in Holland & Barrett)

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
By the way, linseed and flax seed are the same thing.
I get packets of golden linseed (carb 1.7g per 100g) from Waitrose for £2.25 for 500g (which is less than half the price in Holland & Barrett)

Not sure if you were responding to my post but, yes, I know that but I thought I'd be comprehensive in my description as I don't think 'linseed' is a term much used outside of the UK :) I get mine from Aldi - £1.99 for 250g; there isn't a Waitrose near us. I assume the Waitrose product isn't milled?

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast was a linseed/flaxseed microwave muffin made with 30g milled seed, a teaspoon of coconut oil, some water to add moisture, an egg plus salt and pepper (and of course half a teaspoon of baking soda to make it rise) thoroughly mixed (melting the coconut oil first) and microwaving at full power for 90 seconds. I had this warm with some cream cheese, some slices of ham and a second fried egg. I make it around 450 calories, 40g fat, 25g protein, 5g carbs and 8g fibre. First blood test fasting before breakfast was 5.7, which dropped an hour later to 5.3 just before I tucked-in and an hour later my reading was 6.0 (afterf a shower, which I mention as for some a shower can raise BG). Will follow with a test on the two hour mark and update this post then. Am also going to do this for lunch and supper :) Oh, and drinks have been two espressos sweetened with sucralose and some water.

After 2 hours BG 6.6, up from 6.0 on the hour and 5.3 before breakfast. This was a very low carb breakfast so not sure if a 2 hour rise of 1.3 is anything to shout about, really. Roll on lunch time...

Reactions: 5 people
C

CheeseJunkie

Not sure if you were responding to my post but, yes, I know that but I thought I'd be comprehensive in my description as I don't think 'linseed' is a term much used outside of the UK :) I get mine from Aldi - £1.99 for 250g; there isn't a Waitrose near us. I assume the Waitrose product isn't milled?

Not responding to your post, just clarifying my own post made a minute before. :)
The Waitrose product isn't milled, correct.
The (online) wholefood shop prices seem to be around the same.

Welshgooner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tottenham and High BS scores
Mine was 7.1 before breakfast - had 4 sausages and 2 hours later I'm 6.6 :)

Lunch 90g of Chorizo = 1.9g cabs and 160g of Edam :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Welshgooner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tottenham and High BS scores
Awww sorry...hope you got some now. I didn't use that...I used baking powder instead and it worked perfectly :)
in the past if stuck I have used vinegar or even lemon juice as a substitute :)

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
in the past if stuck I have used vinegar or even lemon juice as a substitute :)
Thanks for the tip.....I thought the baking powder or cream of tartar was to make it more bread like in texture? Is the end result the same using vinegar or lemon juice?