First day of pump

marialynn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
things that aren't nice and filling in my profile
I am due to go and get a pump on 11th June. I have been given a week of appointments, I presume it's to make any adjustments needed when I first start the pump. My question is: when I go to the appointment first thing in the morning, will it be best if I do not take my morning dose of Levemir? I am thinking that it might make me hypo if I have the pump and also the levemir. What has happened with you please? I would love to know the procedure for the first few days of using the pump and how you felt.

iHs

I
I am due to go and get a pump on 11th June. I have been given a week of appointments, I presume it's to make any adjustments needed when I first start the pump. My question is: when I go to the appointment first thing in the morning, will it be best if I do not take my morning dose of Levemir? I am thinking that it might make me hypo if I have the pump and also the levemir. What has happened with you please? I would love to know the procedure for the first few days of using the pump and how you felt.

I would imagine that yr dsn will give you guidance on the Levemir and when yr last dose should be. I just omitted my morning dose and also gave slightly less bolus to allow for the change over. Are you going to use insulin? If its just saline, then yr basal will be the same and so will yr bolus.

Reactions: 2 people

marialynn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
things that aren't nice and filling in my profile
Thank you for the advice:)

victry77

I was advised to cut my normal dose in half. I used to take mine before bed, so still took it at the normal time, just 50% less. Your DSN should advise of and of course, if she doesn't, just ask :)

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It isn't necessary to stop your long-acting insulin before starting the pump. When you hook up, you can set a Temporary Basal Rate until the time your Insulin on Board expires. So, for example, I got mine at about 3 p.m. But I had injected Lantus the night before. So the DSN set up a zero basal rate (or close to zero - actually I didn't look!) until midnight. Then from midnight on the pump started delivering my basal.

That way you don't start off with a high blood sugar which needs correction straight away.