gym

hawker101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
arguments and tosspots
Hi all i signed up to my local gym and since being there i have really set my mind on losing the weight i am now 140 kilos when i was first diagnosed i was around 115 kilos so i guess the insulin has put weight on me ( i am on a Basel insulin and metformin 2000mg ) any way i wanted to know what is safe to take in terms of weight loss pills etc such as thermo burn and L-carnitin etc has any one here used any thing like this and how did it affect your glucose levels ? advice would be most welcome :)

Reactions: 2 people

Maxy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hoovering
First of all congratulations on your weight loss, doing well!

Be careful as far as fat burners are concerned, most of them are gimicks are most fitness industry supplements are. Most of them comprise mostly of caffeine, too much of it will wear you out and make you feel tired. Be weary of any supplement that contain ephedrine hydrochloride- it can increase heart rate to dangerously high levels to those who are susceptible, increases your metabolic rate and dulls your appetite; which all affect diabetes one way or another. L-cartinine is a pretty good amino and shouldn't do you any harm.

If I were you I'd save my money and buy loads of decent healthy foods, new pieces of kit to keep me going- new pair of trainers perhaps for inspiration!

The absolute majority of fat loss is controlled by diet which should be your main focus. :) If you look at bodybuilders, they get their bodyfat down to extremely low levels with mainly diet, then using drugs ('fat burners') they can get down to low end of single figures- so these are mainly used as the icing on the cake- diet being the main focus.

I also recommend going to sauna if you don't already, I find it's great for circulation, makes me drop water weight and makes me feel great all round- fantastic addition to exercise routine.

C

chris lowe

Beware of sauna. Last time I used it my blood pressure shot up, I felt dizzy, weak & nauseous. I had to get husband to come over to drive me back. Felt woozy all evening & bp not back to normal til next morning

Reactions: 2 people

Maxy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hoovering
I agree be careful, spend no longer than 10–15 minutes to begin with if you do. The added circulation can also affect how insulin is absorbed if you're injecting.

Edit: Also keep water intake regular

Last edited by a moderator:

hawker101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
arguments and tosspots
Thanks guys yes I use the sauna sadly I have not lost weight in fact I gained weight since being on insulin is this normal ? Thanks for the advice I have really got in the mind set of losing weight . How do i calculate my calories intake per a meal and how many should I have per day ?