Injection timing

moray lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was wondering if anyone has porridge for breakfast and when they inject rapid. I seem to go low before lunch and I think it is the porridge digesting slowly.I usually take my rapid about half an hour before. Would it be better with my breakfast.Has anyone had the same Any advice welcome
Thanks

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It could be a number of things. If you are going low before lunch, it is most likely that you have your fast acting dose wrong and are taking too much for the porridge you are eating. You should test before you eat, and then at half hourly intervals for the next three hours. That should tell you what is going on.

Reactions: 6 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Maybe your basal is too high and yhats why you go low before lunch. Do some basal testing first
I was wondering if anyone has porridge for breakfast and when they inject rapid. I seem to go low before lunch and I think it is the porridge digesting slowly.I usually take my rapid about half an hour before. Would it be better with my breakfast.Has anyone had the same Any advice welcome
Thanks

Reactions: 3 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Porridge spikes me badly. I am considering trying a split novorapid dose to see if I can even out the spike rather than a hefty upfront dose before eating. Perhaps as @tim2000s suggests you are taking to much rapid OR not enough porridge :rolleyes:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks

Before adjusting your bolus dose you need to do a basal test, often going low before the next meal is due can be a sign that your basal dose is too high and needs adjusting, I eat porridge 6 days out of 7 and usually bolus 15 mins before which reduces the postprandial spike and keeps my levels steady until lunch, I don't find it too slow acting despite adding some fats to the meal in the way of seeds and natural yogurt.

moray lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all just done a basal test and that is ok.I'll try lowering my breakfast bolus and then if that doesn't work adjusting the timing.It is all very confusing!!.Taking split Levemir makes it even worse as you have two basals to worry about.The evening one seems to work fine but having a nightmare trying to get everything right during the day.Thanks all in the meantime

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@moray lass, if matters don't improve ask about changing your basal insulin to lantus or the new insulin Tresiba, some people only have to inject lantus once a day (although some do have to split-dose) but with Tresiba you only have to inject it once a day and this would be much better than split-dosing.

Several years ago I switched to levemir and found it to be like injecting water, no matter how much I increased the dose my bg levels wouldn't come down, in the end I changed back to lantus.

Try reducing your breakfast insulin by a unit at a time and see if this stops the low before lunch, like all things diabetes its trial & error.

moray lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@moray lass, if matters don't improve ask about changing your basal insulin to lantus or the new insulin Tresiba, some people only have to inject lantus once a day (although some do have to split-dose) but with Tresiba you only have to inject it once a day and this would be much better than split-dosing.

Several years ago I switched to levemir and found it to be like injecting water, no matter how much I increased the dose my bg levels wouldn't come down, in the end I changed back to lantus.

Try reducing your breakfast insulin by a unit at a time and see if this stops the low before lunch, like all things diabetes its trial & error.
I have tried Lantus and it didn't agree with me at all so had to change to Levemir.I did ask the DSN if there was another once a day basal and was told that there wasn't as one injection a day is much better

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have tried Lantus and it didn't agree with me at all so had to change to Levemir.I did ask the DSN if there was another once a day basal and was told that there wasn't as one injection a day is much better
It's worth asking about Tresiba - it lasts up to 42 hours but you take it once a day. I've been using it for a year now and find it has a very flat profile. The only problem is that it's quite expensive compared to Lantus/Levemir, so you might need to make a case for trying it.

moray lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My clinic seems to be all for Humalog and Lantus and at the moment my chances of getting Tresiba are nil!! I ask again and ask my GP if they will prescribe it if I do get it but it seems to be all about money at the moment but one can but try.I don't think I have a case other than one injection instead of two and Levemir is working not too bad .