Beer no beer

bigcj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Following my diagnosis in January this year not a drop of alcohol has passed my lips. I enjoy a drink with friends on a Friday evening and whilst I do not have a craving for alcohol I am getting fed up with diet coke. I seek advice on whether 2 pints of medium strength good quality bitter is likely to cause me any harm, once per week. If it helps I currently take 1 x 2.5 mg Ramipril first thing in the morning, 1 x 500 mg Metformin with my breakfast and 1 x 500 mg Metformin with my evening meal. I have tried to research this issue on various sites but unfortunately like all things diabetic there are very mixed messages. My GP and DN simple say all things in moderation! Cheers.

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi bigcj
the only way to know for sure is to test your blood sugar before you go out , drink the 2 pints and test when you get home - see the spike and act accordingly.
I tend to drink red wine as it does not spike my BG's.

Reactions: 4 people

bigcj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks himtoo unfortunately as a type 2 I have been refused testing kits so at the moment I do not have the facility to test. The more I read I am seriously considering buying my own meter and strips. My GP was very hard in saying that there is no need to test otherwise she would supply the necessary equipment, my best attempts to convince her otherwise failed. My last test results in March were 6.1, I am due further tests in July.

sunnshine1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My OH Type 2 enjoys a lager and he limits this to 2 pints, on occasion. He does have the occasional can of lager 440ml during the week. He is also on 4 x 850 Metformin SR daily.
When he took Ramipril, three years ago, it affected his moods and he ended up looking like the 'elephant man' so after the Doctor looked in her pills 'bible' this was a rare side effect and it was stopped immediately. His blood pressure was always 138/80, so borderline with diabetics. The reason mentioning this was because he thought the alcohol caused these problems.
His Doctor gave her blessing to the alcohol, but he was told not to drink regularly, ie, daily, which he does not. In fact he only drinks alcohol on special occasions now.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would definitely recommend getting a .meter The codefree is the cheapest for strips .If you test before food (or drink) and then 2hours after this will tell you how your body has dealt with it
CAROL

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Thanks himtoo unfortunately as a type 2 I have been refused testing kits so at the moment I do not have the facility to test. The more I read I am seriously considering buying my own meter and strips. My GP was very hard in saying that there is no need to test otherwise she would supply the necessary equipment, my best attempts to convince her otherwise failed. My last test results in March were 6.1, I am due further tests in July.

I am always dismayed when i read of a fellow diabetic being refused a vital bit of kit in the fight against this lifelong condition
( type 1 or 2 should not matter IMHO )
next appointment ask your health professional if they would drive their car without a speedometer

Reactions: 6 people

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hello bigcj
If you don't test you have no idea what your diet is doing to you. It is your health and well-being that is at risk, not the Dr's.
If she had T2, I guarantee that she would be testing.
A lot of the forum members have to fund their own testing, which is why we use the SD Codefree meter because the test strips are cheaper than others
You can get a meter from here
http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm
Here are the discount codes for the strips
5 packs----264086
10 packs---975883

Reactions: 3 people

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi , myself I tend to stick with red wine 2or3 glasses only of a Friday and Saturday as I drive for a living and have had no problems with this but you can only be sure if you test ,hope you find out soon JJ

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
2 pints a week won't do you any harm at all.

However, dry white wine is much less harmful to your blood sugar levels.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
I can't drink lager unfortunately as it spikes me badly. I found that Guinness wasn't as bad but still not ideal. Wine (dry white and red) don't impact at all and nor do spirits with low-cal mixers or on their own.

Best

Dillinger

Welshgooner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tottenham and High BS scores
I don't seem to have a problem with lager :)

I do make it into a shandy (diet lemonade of course) now to maintain the bulk I was once used to :)

Maxy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hoovering
Following my diagnosis in January this year not a drop of alcohol has passed my lips. I enjoy a drink with friends on a Friday evening and whilst I do not have a craving for alcohol I am getting fed up with diet coke. I seek advice on whether 2 pints of medium strength good quality bitter is likely to cause me any harm, once per week. If it helps I currently take 1 x 2.5 mg Ramipril first thing in the morning, 1 x 500 mg Metformin with my breakfast and 1 x 500 mg Metformin with my evening meal. I have tried to research this issue on various sites but unfortunately like all things diabetic there are very mixed messages. My GP and DN simple say all things in moderation! Cheers.

I can only speak as a type 1 here, but I had this battle for years. I love beer, but have found it far too complicated to deal with. The initial upward spike is really uncomfortable then the drop later causes further instability. One or two pints of medium strength beer a week in my opinion is moderation- I'd imagine you'd be fine just keep a close watch on levels for future reference. :)

The only drink I find I can drink with relatively few consequences is vodka/diet coke accompanied with occasional sugary drink or periodic snacks. Alternatively I find dry red wine doesn't affect me too bad.

bigcj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Friday night has arrived but not my meter, therefore I will stick to diet coke until I can gauge the impact if any on my body. Unfortunately I am still coming to terms with this condition and remain very cautious. Helpfully in time this will pass and I will become a little more adventurous.

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I think your doing the right things. Your meter will soon arrive so another week on diet coke is it really going to hurt you ?
Keep well stay safe JJ
Ps don't forget if we can help in any other way -ask

Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
Whisky with a single cube of ice is my solution.
I have been wary of beer since diagnosis.
:(

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was only diagnosed T2 two months ago. I did decide to buy a testing kit and so glad that I did. One thing I did find is that a single slice of white bread has a massive effect on my bloods. I tend not to drink alcohol during the week. I stick mainly red wine or scotch at weekends but a pint or two of beer should not harm but a test kit is the way to go I think.