Confused and very worried ......medication interactions....serious symptoms??

caring-for-mum

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Enclave, thank you so much for messaging me. Sadly my mum is still feeling very poorly and the doctors don't seem to know what is going on. They think that it could possibly be ME (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) but we have to wait until she sees someone at the hospital.
Her head is still very light and she is wobbling a lot too. Not sure what else I can do to be honest? I hope you all are keeping well?

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Gosh, sorry to hear mum is still in a bad way. Think all you can do is try to keep her as comfortable as possible. :sorry:

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Hi, have you mentioned to your mum' s doctor that she takes herbal Nytol? Herbal medicines should not be mixed with prescription medicines, my pharmacist always asks about other medicines and advised me not to take Herbal Nytol as it would interact with my daily antidepressant. Have you tried the normal Nytol?

I had a similar reaction to your mum's when I took Ibuprofen, after ten days I felt really ill, I stopped taking it and within three days was absolutely fine again. I hope things get better for your mum and I would be very cautious about herbal medicines whilst taking prescription medicines

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do hope your mum feels better soon. Just one week ago I was prescribed medication for underactive thyroid and it gave me terrible side effect. The weired thing is that I used to take that medication few years ago and didnt have any side effects then. All symptoms, described by you, look the same as the one I got last week. These were the worst days of my life :( maybe its worth changing the medication your mum takes for something else. Maybe she has started to be sensitive to some of them

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
So sorry mum isnt much better,
Does she live with you?

G

graj0

(1) Has anyone else ever experienced this with medications?
(2) Does it take long to feel "ok" after stopping one of the medications?
(3) Is it safe to control Type 2 with diet alone?

What interaction do you refer to? There are no contra indications although Lisinopril will assist Metformin in lowering BG.

(1) I have taken Lisinopril and Metformin for 18 years, no side effects that I'm aware of.
(2) Difficult to say, Metformin has to be taken for a few weeks before it is fully effective so I'd be guessing in saying that it could be several days for it to get out of the system.
(3) Yes, so long as BG is kept under control and the aim is to level out spikes. HbA1c may be brilliant, but if BG goes through the roof a few hours after eating a meal, that's not so good.

Sorry if I've repeated what's already been said, I've just noticed the number of replies. That's definitely my age.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Sorry that you are going through such stress and worry with your mum.

I have to ask has your Mum
been tested for dementia. I know that you have mentioned very little regarding memory etc but dementia can give physical signs not just mental symptoms. Most GPs in England are very hot and quick tontest on this nowadays due to alot of them signing up to get more money for a dementia diagnosis. However, it could be unrelated to blood pressure or diabetes and at 76 could be a physical sign of dementia.

I am not wishing to scaremonger but it would be worth discussing with a GP.

G

graj0

Sorry that you are going through such stress and worry with your mum.

I have to ask has your Mum
been tested for dementia. I know that you have mentioned very little regarding memory etc but dementia can give physical signs not just mental symptoms. Most GPs in England are very hot and quick tontest on this nowadays due to alot of them signing up to get more money for a dementia diagnosis. However, it could be unrelated to blood pressure or diabetes and at 76 could be a physical sign of dementia.

I am not wishing to scaremonger but it would be worth discussing with a GP.
Or you could just do the test yourself. Get your mum to draw a clock face. If all the numbers get crowded into the right hand side, see the GP. The other test I was given was repeating a name and address that was told to me before the clock test. That was the extent of the dementia test that I was given. There again I didn't think I had dementia, but I did know that my memory is now appalling and I can't even remember how to drive to places the way I used to. It's age, or at least that's what I've been told.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hows mum now, a bit better I hope

desidiabulum

Avoid Dr Google but do check drug interactions -- even good GPs sometimes miss these. Nytol can interact with fluoxetine and lisinopril.
'Using diphenhydrAMINE together with FLUoxetine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment.'
http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html.
If any problems with balance it's always worth checking B12 levels.
It's rare, but a few people have very bad reactions to metformin.
If they keep testing and thinking then hopefully they will sort it out -- but do keep pushing