I don't understand the rise in BG here

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, @ Noblehead :)

The app is Cook & Count, does exactly what Noblehead said above, plus saves your recipes / meals so you don't have to re do it every time. It also lets you see how much carbs etc per serving , or by weight, if you prefer. You can also add foods that are not already in the large database too, from the carbs per 100g on the label .

It's not a free app, but doesn't cost very much and is well worth it :)

Signy
Thank you so much...I think it will be very helpful and I am going to go find it now and install it :D

Reactions: 3 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That could be where I am going wrong too...I am not eating much fat at all....despite being told I can eat it on low carb eating I can't quite get my head to accept that after a lifetime of being told not to eat it. I have higher cholesterol than the doctor likes too so that has to come down. I don't know the breakdown figures of it but I was told it was 5.8 and too high
I know exactly what you mean. I've spent all my life battling with weight and can't quite succumb to the idea of eating fat with impunity, so I know I limit mine compared with some, but I also eat more carbs than some too.
I know what you mean - I initially struggled with the concept but tend to think of it as full fat rather than high fat as all I've done is replaced low fat spreads, milk, yoghurts etc with the full fat version including butter and cheese. When I had my results last December my cholesterol levels had gone down!

Reactions: 4 people

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Put your details into this calculator and it will give you an idea of what your nutritional ratios/balance should be for you and your required weight loss etc. A search here too will surely show up more information on protein balance, it's not something I understood was relevant until recently, so it's new to me too.

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/DietMakeupCalc.php
Something was niggling at the corner of my mind when I posted this and couldn't bring it to the front. It just popped in - re-check this periodically if you lose weight - if you're smaller, so is your energy requirement, which may be why people stall when losing weight if they continue eating the same to fuel a smaller body. I just did mine again and after losing a few pounds since I first did it, it now says I need 3g/day less protein and 5g less fat and 52 less calories.

Reactions: 2 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Something was niggling at the corner of my mind when I posted this and couldn't bring it to the front. It just popped in - re-check this periodically if you lose weight - if you're smaller, so is your energy requirement, which may be why people stall when losing weight if they continue eating the same to fuel a smaller body. I just did mine again and after losing a few pounds since I first did it, it now says I need 3g/day less protein and 5g less fat and 52 less calories.
I am just a bit confused by the calculator...I put my data in and said I want to lose just one pound a week as I am getting close to my desired weight and it came up with a lot more calories than I eat a day and a huge amount of protein needed...if I eat too much protein my BG goes up so am somewhere inbetween confused and baffled lol According to the calculator I am not eating enough glucose to even supply my brains needs :eek:

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am just a bit confused by the calculator...I put my data in and said I want to lose just one pound a week as I am getting close to my desired weight and it came up with a lot more calories than I eat a day and a huge amount of protein needed...if I eat too much protein my BG goes up so am somewhere inbetween confused and baffled lol According to the calculator I am not eating enough glucose to even supply my brains needs :eek:
Hola

Have a go with my fitness pal if the other one doesn't suit your aims. It will allow you to adjust the daily goal % of carbs, protein and fats and has a relatively good database of UK foods. If you are exercising something like mapmyrun or mapmywalk will automatically sync your cals burnt giving you a better overall picture.

Might be worth a play with. I found it a bit of a drag at first but very beneficial in the long run.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hola

Have a go with my fitness pal if the other one doesn't suit your aims. It will allow you to adjust the daily goal % of carbs, protein and fats and has a relatively good database of UK foods. If you are exercising something like mapmyrun or mapmywalk will automatically sync your cals burnt giving you a better overall picture.

Might be worth a play with. I found it a bit of a drag at first but very beneficial in the long run.
Thank you....I find it all ridiculously confusing to say the least. I will take a look at my fitness pal and see if I can work things out a bit better :)

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just out of curiosity, try the calculator with a higher carb intake and see what that gives you - maybe you just aren't eating enough carbs. I think the calculator is set to work out how much to eat in order to lose weight, if you don't have much to lose, then maybe the numbers aren't as meaningful - although it does also give you numbers for maintaining your weight too.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just out of curiosity, try the calculator with a higher carb intake and see what that gives you - maybe you just aren't eating enough carbs. I think the calculator is set to work out how much to eat in order to lose weight, if you don't have much to lose, then maybe the numbers aren't as meaningful - although it does also give you numbers for maintaining your weight too.
That could be it....I am on very low carb and have lost about 11 pounds in 3 weeks which is great but a bit drastic ....I am losing it in places I don't want to and not where I'd like too...isn't that always the case :( ...I am doing exercise to try and change that and getting there slowly. The doughnut on the tummy is shrinking and that and a little fat around my hips is the only place I need to lose weight...everywhere else is skinny enough and at this point in my life ..after waiting a lifetime to get decent boobs, it is upsetting to see them melting away lol....I think maybe a few more carbs might be the answer