Hi

peanut15

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hi all, my first ever forum post!

Am 8 weeks pregnant. Have GCK mody and have to start insulin in order to control my blood sugar (I cannot look at a carb without being over the limit!!)

I saw a dietician today and she advised me to eat 130g of carb per day to maintain healthy diet. Having never counted carbs before does this mean 30g of carbs for say breakfast rather than 30g of bread. Feeling a bit thick but wanted to get it straight in my head and never thought to ask this morning!!

Any other tips for carb counting?

Thanks in advance.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's the carbs you are counting, so if th bread pack says 15g per slice then 2 slices would be your 30g.

Most packs of food show the carbs per 100g or per portion, slice etc. Didn't your dietician give you some leaflets/booklets to help you? Bad show if she didn't!

You'll soon get used to counting carbs. There are some things you'll have to look out for, especially when you start insulin. For example, make sure you know whether the packet is telling you the carb values of raw or cooked rice or pasta.

Any problems, just ask and someone will try to solve them for you.

Oh, and congratulations on your great news!

peanut15

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Thanks! That's really helpful! A lot to get my head around but hopefully insulin will be able to help me control my levels!