Contact Lenses

Tyronnster

Hi this is gonna sound silly but went for contact lenses the other day and was told that I can only wear them for 5 days a week as diabetic.

They are monthly disposable lenses

The guy couldn't tell me why except that's just the way

Could any of you enlighten me

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It may be because your eyes are drier when you have higher blood sugars. Before I was diagnosed I actually gave up contacts as I was having constant issues with dry sore eyes. I was constantly having to use eye drops with the contacts and after but now I have my levels sorted not a single dry eye the whole of 2014.

Reactions: 2 people

DizzyChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I know it's an old post but even if you do not have diabetes it is always recommended that you do not wear contact lenses for more than 5 days as it allows your eyes to have a rest.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have worn lenses for 36 years, moving from hard lenses to fortnightly soft lenses about 12 years ago. I now have Acuvue Oasys, which have a high water content and are very comfortable. I wear them for very long periods of at least 15 hours, sometimes longer, often staring at a computer screen, and I use them every day with no break.
My optician has never suggested that this is not a good idea, and my eye health is very good.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Similar to Rosie, I've worn contact lenses for 36 years, first 5 or 6 years were hard lenses, then hard gas permeable since. Had type 1 diabetes 20 years, and as my opticians have said at every annual check that my eye health is good, so no need to limit daily hours (up to 24 hours without break) nor days per week. Occasionally I do have a day off, if not going out, but no real need.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I understand that the thinking behind that advice is because if your BG is out of range as a diabetic, there is more of a breeding ground for bacteria so they should be replaced more frequently. However....

This is part of the Health and Safety belt and braces that seems to be attached to everything nowadays :rolleyes:. If you have good BG control, and look after your lenses, cleaning and disinfecting them, you should have no problems . It's whatever feels comfortable for you , but certainly question this advice if going for two days without lenses is inconvenient for you .

I too used to have hard, then gas permeable lenses, and used to take them out and suck them if they felt dry :rolleyes: this is NOT recommended for anyone, diabetic or not, but there's nothing wrong with my eyes , luckily ! In fact, I use continuous wear lenses with no problems for up to two weeks if I'm on a hiking/ camping trip, otherwise, monthly lenses all day, everyday .

Signy

Reactions: 4 people

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too used to have hard, then gas permeable lenses, and used to take them out and suck them if they felt dry :rolleyes: this is NOT recommended for anyone, diabetic or not, but there's nothing wrong with my eyes , luckily !

Ha - glad it's not just me. Never, ever let your optician know about this!

Reactions: 4 people