2nd day pumping.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Day 2 pumping and on CGM but a lot of testing and not doing to badly.

Reactions: 9 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's great to hear you are up and running with your pump @yingtong and not doing too badly :)

The CGM must be helping a lot with establishing what your bg levels are doing - I hope the alarms aren't driving you mad! I wish you continued good luck with it :)

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Really pleased at last you've got started on the pump Yingtong, the CGM will go a long way in nailing down them basal rates in double quick time, keep us updated on your progress :)

Reactions: 4 people

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Thanks all,yes Flowerpot,I've had a few alarms and yes,the Cgm will start giving me some trends.Yes noble head the CGM will certainly help me nail basal rates.i am managing the bolus rates quite well.I am running overall a little high,but nothing disastrous,I will need to adjust basal rates slowly but surely.As everyone has said its hard work,but will definitely worth the efforts.

Reactions: 5 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks all,yes Flowerpot,I've had a few alarms and yes,the Cgm will start giving me some trends.Yes noble head the CGM will certainly help me nail basal rates.i am managing the bolus rates quite well.I am running overall a little high,but nothing disastrous,I will need to adjust basal rates slowly but surely.As everyone has said its hard work,but will definitely worth the efforts.

Did you ever buy the book Pumping Insulin, it really is a must for anyone who is waiting to go onto a pump or already on one, so much great information especially around adjusting basal rates.

Reactions: 6 people

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Yes,noblehead,I bought it a couple of months ago and have read it twice.it is definitely the pampers bible and I am using as a reference now,thank you.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I am very lucky I have two wonderful DSN's they call me twice a day to check I getting on ok and I email them a download from my CGM and we discuss any amendments I make to my pump rates.I feel I am so lucky to have such a wonderful team looking after me,all of this help give me confidence to push forward.

Reactions: 7 people

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Day6 on the pump and still pleased how things are going,I have made some small changes to Basal rates today,very happy with Bolus rates I am taking about 15% less insulin a day compared to MDI. Had a slight night time hypo but the hypo guard on the Medtronic 649g worked well,this was brilliant as I have no hypo awareness.I am getting more and more confident with this pump and CGM,long may it continue.

Reactions: 7 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Day6 on the pump and still pleased how things are going,I have made some small changes to Basal rates today,very happy with Bolus rates I am taking about 15% less insulin a day compared to MDI. Had a slight night time hypo but the hypo guard on the Medtronic 649g worked well,this was brilliant as I have no hypo awareness.I am getting more and more confident with this pump and CGM,long may it continue.

Your post has made my day Yingtong, really pleased all is going well and the pump has made a difference :)

Reactions: 8 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's great to hear you are getting on well with your pump @yingtong and are getting more and more confident :) I hope you're not missing injections too much ;)

I changed over from my Veo to the 640g a few days ago and I'm also very happy. The Smartguard technology is brilliant when you don't have hypo awareness. I keep admiring my new pump but my family and friends just don't seem as fascinated with it as I am!

Wishing you continued success with your pump and CGM.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Thanks noblehead and Flowerpot,I must admit I did go for my pen yesterday but didn't inject after over 52 years of injection it has definitely thrown my routine but I am so pleased with the pump and yes,I can't stop looking at it.I have been loosing my hypo awareness for the last 3 years and it has been a constant battle to avoid hospital admissions and keep B/G level between 5and6 but I managed.I feel like a weight has been taken off my shoulders and my wife's as she has been able to spot the signs of me going hypo.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks noblehead and Flowerpot,I must admit I did go for my pen yesterday but didn't inject after over 52 years of injection it has definitely thrown my routine but I am so pleased with the pump and yes,I can't stop looking at it.I have been loosing my hypo awareness for the last 3 years and it has been a constant battle to avoid hospital admissions and keep B/G level between 5and6 but I managed.I feel like a weight has been taken off my shoulders and my wife's as she has been able to spot the signs of me going hypo.
That's funny. I've been using a pump for six months after 47 years of injections and still, when I am about to go and eat, before I leave the kitchen, my right hand occasionally stretches toward the fridge where I keep my insulin, like a reflex action! A few years ago, I asked myself, "Could I live without this condition, without these injections? I am so used to them. Diabetes is part of me and my life's experience. Would it change me?" I am happy to know I can live without my constant jabs now. And it did change me. For the better. My mood is generally much better now. And I have a greater sense of well being and less anxiety over hypos and hypers, etc.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Yes,RuthW it's difficult to break the routine of many years,but wish I had the chance of a pump years ago. I'm becoming more confident with the pump every day and luckily I was given funding for a CGM which makes life so much easier as I am able to view trends and confidently make adjustments.

Reactions: 2 people

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Yes noblehead, without doubt,I think it's going to take a while to get used to not injecting.

Reactions: 2 people

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Day8 All still going very well,got a few different basal rates into the the pump and starting to use them,how did I manage without a pump,but, I did.Still letting myB/S run slightly higher than I intend to but I promised my DSN to let thing settle down for a month.I have got a appointment with my Endo and DSN tomorrow.I am waiting for something to go wrong but I hope not.I think all type1 should be given a CGM on the NHS I am sure it would save them a fortune!

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
After hospital visit yesterday to see Endo and DSN,they were very pleased and have told me I can get on with it. Got a DSN appointment for 2 weeks time and Endo appointment for 10 weeks,the DSN said that she is at the end of a phone and that she will see me at any time should I get into real problems.So here goes,and I feel very confident bot only time will tell.