HbA1c Drop

mcg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

I'm still very much in the newly diagnosed category, but I've recently had a HbA1c test which shows a large drop, and I am stunned/confused/excited.

For more detail of how I got here, see http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/newly-diagnosed-type2-bit-scary-and-still-learning.74649/
The short version: I was over 18st, 5"10, reasonably inactive during work hours (most of week), symptom free and a random blood test picked up high spot glucose, and further tests showed a HbA1c of 103 and another showed 101. Around this time I started losing weight (first symptom) and dropped about 2.5st without doing much at all.

Since then, I've learned loads. I've attended the day course, spoke with my nutritionist twice, and learned the link between carbs and glucose etc.
As a result, my diet has changed - big piles of white pasta/rice are out, brown versions are in, and portion sizes are much reduced. As a result of the dietary changes, I managed to start losing weight again (after the original weight loss which after 2.5st stopped on its own), and am now almost exactly 15st.
I also got my activity levels up - April saw lots of digging in the veg garden, and I've started cycling to work again.

Therefore, I expected some improvement. This week, I had a further test...
Spot Glucose was 6.9. I was stunned. I was just getting over a cold so expected this to be high, and my last few results were always 15+.
HbA1c was 38. I was again stunned.
Cholesterol was 4.1, down from 4.8.

I am not posting this to boast/brag - I am just looking for advice. 6.9 is under 7, and 38 is under 49, both meaning I am no longer Type2?
Is it really possible to go from 103 and 101 to 38 in 3mths? Before I started my Practice Nurse said that my chances of getting under 48 were almost impossible unless I started training for a marathon!
Is it the 2g of Metformin doing all this? Should I come off Metformin? If I come off Metformin will I zip back to 103?
Could they have put someone else's blood in the meter (I've seriously considered this!), or could this be a rogue result? (with HbA1c - a 3mth test - how?). Should I request a re-test?

I have a Practice Nurse appointment on 12th June, but until then my head is spinning. Can I get all excited that I've been given a second chance, or will this result come crashing down?

Thanks for reading,

MCG

Reactions: 6 people

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

I'm still very much in the newly diagnosed category, but I've recently had a HbA1c test which shows a large drop, and I am stunned/confused/excited.

For more detail of how I got here, see http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/newly-diagnosed-type2-bit-scary-and-still-learning.74649/
The short version: I was over 18st, 5"10, reasonably inactive during work hours (most of week), symptom free and a random blood test picked up high spot glucose, and further tests showed a HbA1c of 103 and another showed 101. Around this time I started losing weight (first symptom) and dropped about 2.5st without doing much at all.

Since then, I've learned loads. I've attended the day course, spoke with my nutritionist twice, and learned the link between carbs and glucose etc.
As a result, my diet has changed - big piles of white pasta/rice are out, brown versions are in, and portion sizes are much reduced. As a result of the dietary changes, I managed to start losing weight again (after the original weight loss which after 2.5st stopped on its own), and am now almost exactly 15st.
I also got my activity levels up - April saw lots of digging in the veg garden, and I've started cycling to work again.

Therefore, I expected some improvement. This week, I had a further test...
Spot Glucose was 6.9. I was stunned. I was just getting over a cold so expected this to be high, and my last few results were always 15+.
HbA1c was 38. I was again stunned.
Cholesterol was 4.1, down from 4.8.

I am not posting this to boast/brag - I am just looking for advice. 6.9 is under 7, and 38 is under 49, both meaning I am no longer Type2?
Is it really possible to go from 103 and 101 to 38 in 3mths? Before I started my Practice Nurse said that my chances of getting under 48 were almost impossible unless I started training for a marathon!
Is it the 2g of Metformin doing all this? Should I come off Metformin? If I come off Metformin will I zip back to 103?
Could they have put someone else's blood in the meter (I've seriously considered this!), or could this be a rogue result? (with HbA1c - a 3mth test - how?). Should I request a re-test?

I have a Practice Nurse appointment on 12th June, but until then my head is spinning. Can I get all excited that I've been given a second chance, or will this result come crashing down?

Thanks for reading,

MCG
Hi mcg, those figures are amazing, I don`t see that it could be the metformin as it has a fairly minimal direct impact on bg but I certainly would not quit them without first taking medical advice. As far as rogue results are concerned, you could get a meter and run a series of self tests and that, whilst not as accurate as a hba1c, would at least show any established trends. Good luck with your meeting in june , let`s hope all your news is good. By the way, you say that you are not boasting but if it was me I think I would have taken out a full page ad in the papers!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done - all your hard work has paid off! If I had those results in such a short time I would be shouting from the roof tops!!! If you want reassurance do as Chrs5 suggests and get a meter and self test then at least you'll know. As to coming off Metformin that's something that you will need to discuss with your DN.

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
Really well done, to both of you :) I`m afraid that you will still be diabetic, but its now in the wings like mine is too . Just carry on being vigilant re carbs and it will stay in the wings , start to let things slide and back it will come, centre stage , but you have done tremendously well :)

Reactions: 2 people

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's fantastic news, so pleased for you as it looks like you have got things under control

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You have achieved it through diet and exercise- you can be proud of yourself - well done.

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
Excellent results and shows just what can be done. No wonder you said you were "stunned/confused/excited" but what you should be feeling is proud and very happy.

Hairycamel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fantastic results, but dont let the weight creep back on; it's the secret to maintaining those figures.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done I would certainly be considering stopping the metformin as it would not make that much of an impact on your BS. You should get excited I know how happy I was to find out I was no longer diabetic but remember to keep up the good work with your diet and try not to get complacent and go back to bad eating habits.