Insulin sensitivity

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone know how to work this out apart from the100 rule that seems very basic

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Are you meaning for corrections, bolus's or acting time? All have different methods....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
For corrections I think most people are started off with a 1unit alters by 3ml bloods.
To check.. Wait until you need a correction , correct and check hourly... Without food or anymore corrections.
Depending what occurs then you can change up or down. You should aim to be at your target within 5 hours. No good doing with levels over 12.0 as you may well need more.

Bolus sensitivity is also dependent upon your basals being right in the first place.
Then what foods you eat... If its meat, veg n a few potatoes ut may well be different to eating say a spahettti bolognese because pasta may well act differently. This will also depend whether you have any other factors such as coeliac, gatroparesis, or slow colonic transit. Ideally you should test once basals are correct, on a normal activity day and wait 5 hours before correcting or bolusing for more food. If you go low at 2-3 hours after your bolus then your bolus meeds altering.

Once this is correct both of these should give you an idea what your acting time is.

This also depends on what your target level is set at. If it is too low then you could be over dosing on all above. My target level is 6.0 and if any of the above brings me below that then my target is the last thing that I would think to change.

Acting time can only really be sorted once you have your basals correct... Or if you are having to do constant corrections.....

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The suggestion by DD is a good one, just eat a low-fat meal and then bolus 1 unit of insulin around 4-5 hours after the meal when you know your previous bolus dose is exhausted, then just record your bg levels and see how far it drops.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The suggestion by DD is a good one, just eat a low-fat meal and then bolus 1 unit of insulin around 4-5 hours after the meal when you know your previous bolus dose is exhausted, then just record your bg levels and see how far it drops.

Low anything for me though is 2 soft boiled eggs. Which is a 9.8 equivalent of carb so just bolusing 1 unit adhoc can still give the wrong overall picture.

To me you have to do full basal testing and an exact bolus counting for insulin sensitivity to get things spot on. If I wanted to eat a snacky meal prior to testing it would literally be cucumber and lettuce with lashings of olive oil. I personally would eat an exact liw carb, low fat, low everything meal like salmon and salad to find out my carb ratio perhaps if I could tolerate it with a slice if carb counted bread. It has to have some carbs in the meal but mine wiuld normally be from my exact amount of carb counting for my tomatoes, peppers etc as that is my staple diet.

If you have pasta as your staple diet or rice then it would be fair enough to get your insulin sensitivity for these foods....these foods for me need totally different actions.

Last edited by a moderator:

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does anyone know how to work this out apart from the100 rule that seems very basic
There is a relation with your Total Daily Dose of insulin. So, for example, if you are on 15 units per day, you should start with a correction factor of 1u:7.26 mmol. On 30 units 1u: 3.63 mmol, on 45 units 1u: 2.42mmol, and so on. Then you test it as the others have said. It may be different at different times of day, though I have to say, I haven't noticed much variation in my own across the day. This advice, by the way, is not mine - it's from Walsh and Rogers' book "Pumping Insulin", but applies to any basal/bolus regime, obviously.