Newcastle diet starting Monday, done it once who gonna join me on my journey??

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
... On the ND I went through dry patches with high fasting blood readings and no weight loss. ...
Yep I seem to be experiencing a little of that with my BG readings generally up between 0.5 to 1.5 than I was getting a week or two ago. I have dropped 1 Metformin twice a day, but that was only a couple of days ago, so I didn't think the effects would have filtered through so quickly. We'll see.

...Problem is of course 56 days seems a long time when you are concentrating so hard and obsessing on one thing...
Oh yes! You should see my research into meal plans for me and the family in 4 weeks time! :bookworm: :wacky:

Reactions: 2 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
politics, religion, intolerance
Yep I seem to be experiencing a little of that with my BG readings generally up between 0.5 to 1.5 than I was getting a week or two ago. I have dropped 1 Metformin twice a day, but that was only a couple of days ago, so I didn't think the effects would have filtered through so quickly. We'll see.

Oh yes! You should see my research into meal plans for me and the family in 4 weeks time! :bookworm: :wacky:
Hi Rob
I'm planning big meaty BBQ's to celebrate. Don't want to think too much about it now - but I spent last weekend at the bbq and didn't have anything off it!!!!! A torment almost beyond human durability.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Rob
I'm planning big meaty BBQ's to celebrate. Don't want to think too much about it now - but I spent last weekend at the bbq and didn't have anything off it!!!!! A torment almost beyond human durability.
Hi Steve

Been there are done that, I know how it feels but just a few more days left now.

Reactions: 4 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Steve

Been there are done that, I know how it feels but just a few more days left now.
Thanks Mate - Feels like I'm following your lead!

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Day 47. Weight down another 0.2kg. BMI 23.6. I now weigh 84.4 - just 1.9kg off my target. Total weight loss on the ND 10kg. Fasting blood was 5.3. Average over 7 days 5.2. Over 14 days 5.6. Over 30 days 5.7 and over 90 days 6.2. I spot a pattern here! :watching:

Starting to get used to a lighter body but still surprise myself when I stand up - without much effort!

9 days to go........

Reactions: 14 people

telandy

Well it's a great feeling finally losing the weight, kids have pizza back to my shakes! Not jumping on the scales for another couple of weeks, seem to be moving a lot better!

Reactions: 6 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Day 48 - no more weight loss. Fasting blood 5.8. A little on the high side - but all good!

Reactions: 7 people

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fellow suferers,

As most on this particular blog are ND ers I've gone about losing my weight the old fashioned way slowly but steadily. So now I am at a BMI of 23.7 down from a BMI 30+ yet still not seeing the FBGs I had hoped for. I am feel stumped by this disease. I have exercised like a fiend, yet my body gives me no love in lower BG numbers.. I may start ND for a few day a la Richard Doughty to get me past the finish line. Thank God he only had to do it for 11 days. What a nightmare, sorry for the rant..

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Wildrover

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fellow suferers,

As most on this particular blog are ND ers I've gone about losing my weight the old fashioned way slowly but steadily. So now I am at a BMI of 23.7 down from a BMI 30+ yet still not seeing the FBGs I had hoped for. I am feel stumped by this disease. I have exercised like a fiend, yet my body gives me no love in lower BG numbers.. I may start ND for a few day a la Richard Doughty to get me past the finish line. Thank God he only had to do it for 11 days. What a nightmare, sorry for the rant..
@LBTB
Same problem as you, 4 weeks into the ND, BG's between 6.1 and 7.3 No hope for us sinners

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@LBTB
Same problem as you, 4 weeks into the ND, BG's between 6.1 and 7.3 No hope for us sinners

I am psyching myself up to start; I have had a stressful and busy couple of weeks so didn't think it was the right time to start but must get going as I need to be fighting fit for my new arrival in July; an Arab foal! My mare is due 12th July. I too am a "skinny" T2 so not sure if the ND will work for me but I really want to be able to eat more normally.

katyb42

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has any one tried dairyfree meal replacement shakes? To use on newcastle diet. Not sure if the ones i can find have right balance of carbs or sugar or calories.have lost 3.5 stone on a low carb diet,but would like a change and need to loose more weight.

Wildrover

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Wildrover

BTW (Nice handle) okay, what was your starting BMI and what is it now? My starting BMI was 30.7 I am now a full 7 points lower! Yikes!

Living by the beach
Starting BMI 30.1, height 6' 2", starting was in the high 20s then Metformin and they seemed to come down to 13-15, but methinks that was more down to better eating habits, then stumbled across this thread, and the guys here inspired me to start the ND, so 4 weeks in and just can't get any more movement in BG always between 6.1 and 7.2 tho twice I've seen 5.4 and 5.7, but will soldier on to my target weight loss of 2 stone, 15 lbs lost, The most I've learnt from all, is portion size, AND life changing food choices

Wildrover

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am psyching myself up to start; I have had a stressful and busy couple of weeks so didn't think it was the right time to start but must get going as I need to be fighting fit for my new arrival in July; an Arab foal! My mare is due 12th July. I too am a "skinny" T2 so not sure if the ND will work for me but I really want to be able to eat more normally.
Arab Horse
Understand your situation completely as I've seen some off your other posts, and not qualified enough to comment, but I do understand that Dr Taylor's mindset is that doing the ND is to loose fat from around the pancreas and kidney ie fat from the inside, and shock the system, this appears to work in the majority of cases, as proof on this thread, methinks I've nothing to loose and all to gain, Like @living by the beach says, " this diabetes is a curse" especially when I think of all the nice things I used to eat and now can't touch ANY of them BUT we'll get there

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has any one tried dairyfree meal replacement shakes? To use on newcastle diet. Not sure if the ones i can find have right balance of carbs or sugar or calories.have lost 3.5 stone on a low carb diet,but would like a change and need to loose more weight.
Haven't tried them myself, but a quick Google found these: http://dairyfreeprotein.com/

However they use soy which I wouldn't touch with a bargepole. You will probably need to do a bit of research to track down something suitable.

You might be better off with a real food 800cal diet plan.

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Living by the beach
Starting BMI 30.1, height 6' 2", starting was in the high 20s then Metformin and they seemed to come down to 13-15, but methinks that was more down to better eating habits, then stumbled across this thread, and the guys here inspired me to start the ND, so 4 weeks in and just can't get any more movement in BG always between 6.1 and 7.2 tho twice I've seen 5.4 and 5.7, but will soldier on to my target weight loss of 2 stone, 15 lbs lost, The most I've learnt from all, is portion size, AND life changing food choices

@Wildrover,
I am rightly concerned about my situation. I had a BMI of 30.7 6'4" now down 58-59lbs give (or take) now at BMI of 23.7 & that's a lot of weight lost. I saw a 5.16 BG where I hadn't eaten all day then next morning at FBG I was back to a 7. So tonight I am off to ride to the end of the beach in the avatar then cauliflower & broccoli oven roasted with olive oil & salt and pepper, to be followed by an apple. Hoping that tomorrow FBG is really good. Had a late lunch too at around 2.30pm. So the lightweight "Dinner" of veggies continues the good work I am about to do with the bike ride.. 15 miles here we go..

Using recent data & @Andrew Colvin 's diabetes data application my simple average of bg is 6.25 over the last 6 days..

Good luck to us all.

JM

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Day 49 - fasting blood down to 5.4. No more weight loss. All good.

Great to see so many of you guys on this blog.

Re FBG readings - I have found that blood meters vary considerably from one to another. If you can compare your readings using a second meter, it would be interesting to see if they are the same.

Fasting blood readings can also be effected by the DP
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/dawn-phenomenon.html
so - try taking a reading before you go to sleep and another in the morning.
(Apologies for stating what you may already know).

I found that a ridiculous amount of water during the day really flushed out the system and gave me a low reading the next morning. We have one of those filter jugs - I think it is about 1ltr. I emptied it 3 times - and had other drinks as well. Constant peeing - but it seemed to really work for me on the FBG.

I also understand that the effect of the ND is not in the weight loss itself - but in the 'rapid' weight loss. It's not so much about losing weight - but where you lose it from. The liver and pancreas - in particular, need to be cleared out to below your 'personal' fat threshold. While I have banged on about BMI etc...that is only a goal for me because I can see it. I cant see my liver or pancreas - but I can read the numbers on the scales. But I do not want to fall foul of the MacNamara fallacy;
http://chronotopeblog.com/2015/04/04/the-mcnamara-fallacy-and-the-problem-with-numbers-in-education/

The point of the ND for all of us, is to clear the liver and pancreas - and reverse T2. (again apologies for stating the bleeding obvious). I know I have been guilty of losing focus and talking about food, weight loss and side effects - but I did have a moment just two days ago when I had a rather odd feeling that I had crossed my personal fat threshold. Cant explain why I had the feeling, but my bloods have been relatively stable and not spiking since that moment. And interestingly still lowering over time. I doubt very much that it is as simple as this - not a sudden change - like flicking a switch - that may have just been an epiphany.

So - maybe, just maybe, the ND has worked for me. I do plan on getting this confirmed by my DN - then - if I'm right - celebrating with a bottle of something cold and bubbly! (followed by a few brandy and diet gingers!!!!).

End of thought stream......

Keep going everyone - and keep telling us how you are getting on.

Reactions: 12 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haven't tried them myself, but a quick Google found these: http://dairyfreeprotein.com/

However they use soy which I wouldn't touch with a bargepole. You will probably need to do a bit of research to track down something suitable.

You might be better off with a real food 800cal diet plan.
Hi Indy

Is soy not good for us, I got alpro soy milk yesterday and just tried it today with coffee. I loved the taste but with what you are saying my meter might not agree with it. Is that right. I know everyone is different but general consensus is soy milk is not good for diabetics?

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a good summary @Steve50 . I've plateaued on weight loss for a few days now, only dropping 1lb since last Wednesday. As it's easily measureable I am using weight as a benchmark for progress but, importantly, the BG numbers continue to be good and I've reduced all my medication. These factors also are significant... but I do want to lose those extra lbs as well.

3 1/2 weeks to go on the ND though and I will persist to give the "inside, invisible losses" the chance to take full effect before I use LCHF for whatever remaining weight loss I seek to achieve & then maintain.

Reactions: 5 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes