Lose Weight

Steam Engineer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Steam Engineer.

Lost 48 lbs in weight since start of October 2014, when first diagnosed as Type 2.
Started off with a goal to drop my weight to 200lbs, will need to reset my target to a lower figure shortly as I am now 203 lbs in weight.
Certainly I have taken on board the need to lose weight and control my blood glucose level to a weekly average of 5.5.
This has included of course exercise, attending an exercise class run by local council where attendees are sent on it by their doctor, also going to the gym myself twice a week as well.
Now not needing to take medication, everything controlled by diet and eating to the meter.
Determination was my main impetus, as I was determined to keep driving without restriction by avoiding the need for medication.

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow 48lbs that's excellent in that time.

keep up the good work and I'm sure you'll reach your goal :)

I'm the same - lost a load of weight and off insulin and Meds :)

Reactions: 4 people

cratat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being diabetic, struggling with food choices
Would you like to share how you have managed to do it as I need to lose at least that amount and am struggling thanks in advance steam engineer

Reactions: 2 people

Steam Engineer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cratat,

What I did was, I joined the type 2 testing program to get the blood glucose testing meter, testing strips and lancets, then started testing my blood glucose levels, this then gave me readings before meals and after meals to compare and I started "eating to the meter". Adjusting or changing quantities of what I was eating to try to control my blood glucose levels.
Cut down on meat intake, increased veg intake, reduced carbohydrates( reduced potato, pasta and rice etc) and included beans and pulses into meals.
Basically it means a complete change from meat and two veg.
Also cut out sweet things, sugar, chocolate etc. although the occasional treat is acceptable.
Doing this along with attending an exercise class( one hour a week) organised and arranged via the doctor's and the local council.
I decided that I was determined to get everything under control without the need for medication so that I could continue driving without restrictions.
I also started going to the gym at the local leisure centre, twice a week, for an hour each time, to help reducing the weight and increase my fitness at the same time.
Now I weigh myself daily, and if I find that my weight seems to stabilise for several days, then I look at reducing the quantity of food that I am eating, to keep the weight loss going ( losing about a pound every five or six days).
I was a chocoholic before this happened, but found out via the dietician that two finger dark chocolate kitkats are only 106 calories, so I have one occasionally as my treat.
Weight still going down, I am now 200lbs in weight. Started off at 251lbs in the first week of October 2014.
Hope this helps.

Steam Engineer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Weight still going down, now 195lbs. That's 56lbs I have lost since diagnosed as type 2 seven months ago.
Now my doctor advises me that I am no longer classed as diabetic, as long as I keep to the diet and the exercise regime.
Relax too much on these can bring it back into the equation.

cratat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being diabetic, struggling with food choices
Well done steam engineer your will power must be amazing, I really need to get my head in the game and start doing something before it's too late got down to 19st 1lb now back up to 20st 7lb. I know what's wrong just can't seem to change it, always looking for an excuse, when I know its me.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well done steam engineer your will power must be amazing, I really need to get my head in the game and start doing something before it's too late got down to 19st 1lb now back up to 20st 7lb. I know what's wrong just can't seem to change it, always looking for an excuse, when I know its me.
Really in dropping weight, the general consensus on here is to,

Reduce carbs,
Reduce sugars,
Reduce plate size,
Reduce low fat
Reduce your treats
Reduce your fruits.
Reduce processed foods
Reduce your milk. (Have cream instead of milk, in your coffee or tea)

Increase any exercise
Increase full fat
Increase your salad and above ground veg.
Increase homemade foods

If anyone can add to this simple list, please do.

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi Cratat,

I have been obese all my life. peaked at 25st. over the last 3 years or so stable at around 23st. have been through sooo many diets over the last 30 years but would never be able to sustain for more than 2-3 months at a time, so the weight would come back. I have always blamed myself for this lack of willpower. I WAS WRONG.

Just under 9 months ago, I committed to a low carbohydrate way of eating. I swore off ALL sugars & starches. The first week was absolute hell. From then on, slowly but surely, ALL my cravings have disappeared & almost effortlessly I have lost 5st. When you have hormonal imbalances/Insulin Resistance/Erratic Blood Sugar whatever it may be, you are literally fighting "biological cravings" and that is a fight that is difficult to win.

You need to remove these cravings to facilitate a level playing field. That should give your willpower a fair chance to succeed.

I sincerely hope this helps. All the best!!

Reactions: 11 people

Miss_Dior

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Football, super hot weather, being sick
Hi Cratat,

When you have hormonal imbalances/Insulin Resistance/Erratic Blood Sugar whatever it may be, you are literally fighting "biological cravings" and that is a fight that is difficult to win.

Absolutely! The calories in calories out model is inadequate when you have a screwed up metabolism. You have to treat the underlying disorder.

Reactions: 4 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Really in dropping weight, the general consensus on here is to,

Reduce carbs,
Reduce sugars,
Reduce plate size,
Reduce low fat
Reduce your treats
Reduce your fruits.
Reduce processed foods
Reduce your milk. (Have cream instead of milk, in your coffee or tea)

Increase any exercise
Increase full fat
Increase your salad and above ground veg.
Increase homemade foods

If anyone can add to this simple list, please do.
That's the most vocal group. It doesn't prove consensus.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That's the most vocal group. It doesn't prove consensus.

I'm a very pleasant amiable guy.
I'm not vocal.
I tell it like it is!
What works for me!
It is an honest opinion and you have every right to contend it.
The consensus is living proof that what I recommend.
Also I'm not part of any 'group'!

As a side point, not that I'm trying to make any!
I have to eat like this and do what I have to, because the outcome would be very dangerous for me.
I am passing on my experience of what it's like to be RH!

Please read my blog, 'A Reactionary'.
Then, form your own opinion of me.

Steam Engineer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all the encouragements given, they are very much appreciated.
Now I have been getting back onto my diet and exercise as my weight had gone up a couple of pounds while I had a break for a week in Dublin, probably due to the Irish hospitality(MEAL PORTIONS ON THE LARGE SIDE) and of course the Guinness.
Weight now back to where it was 195 lbs and hopefully going down again gradually.
Shirt size now down to L (was XXL) and waist now 36in. (was 38 - 40in)

Reactions: 9 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all the encouragements given, they are very much appreciated.
Now I have been getting back onto my diet and exercise as my weight had gone up a couple of pounds while I had a break for a week in Dublin, probably due to the Irish hospitality(MEAL PORTIONS ON THE LARGE SIDE) and of course the Guinness.
Weight now back to where it was 195 lbs and hopefully going down again gradually.
Shirt size now down to L (was XXL) and waist now 36in. (was 38 - 40in)
Keep up the good work...you're doing brilliantly ...love your determination :)

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm a very pleasant amiable guy.
I'm not vocal.
I tell it like it is!
What works for me!
It is an honest opinion and you have every right to contend it.
The consensus is living proof that what I recommend.
Also I'm not part of any 'group'!

As a side point, not that I'm trying to make any!
I have to eat like this and do what I have to, because the outcome would be very dangerous for me.
I am passing on my experience of what it's like to be RH!

Please read my blog, 'A Reactionary'.
Then, form your own opinion of me.
I would be in a very bad place if I followed yours or @Sid Bonkers dietary advice.
I didn't even imply that you or anyone else is unpleasant! And I didn't give any advice, did I? I am just pointing out that what you hear most does not necessarily represent the majority view. The majority is often silent! Also, I think you may be very well be right for many or even most Type 2s. But I just think people should be advised to try out different diets over a period of time to see which works best for them. The LCHF diet seems to work well for people who have Type 2 and are overweight.

My dad, however, was active and skinny, diagnosed Type 2 in his sixties, lived to 83, and lived fine on a balanced diet that included carbs (and meds, obviously). He really couldn't afford to lose any weight. There are various etiologies for the different types of diabetes, and Type 2s are therefore definitely not all the same in their needs.