newly diagnosed and jumped gun on dosage

Coastal

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My first day for the meds and read the label forgetting the Dr cut this dosage in half for first week...Im supposed to work my way into 1000 mg. per day by cutting the 5oomg pill in half taking 250mg in morning and 250 mg at dinner...

I went ahead and did the 500/500 first day any problem with that? Im aware of the diarrhea danger but nothing yet.....

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am assuming you mean metformin?

I doubt it will cause you any trouble other than the runs etc, I started on maximum dose when I was diagnosed and was fine, my dosage was reduced as I reduced my numbers.

If you do get the runs remember to keep yourself hydrated

Coastal

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am assuming you mean metformin?

I doubt it will cause you any trouble other than the runs etc, I started on maximum dose when I was diagnosed and was fine, my dosage was reduced as I reduced my numbers.

If you do get the runs remember to keep yourself hydrated
Thank you for the reply... Yes I meant metformin. May I ask how long did it take to reduce your numbers? and what number you started at and what level did you get down to? Do you think you can get off the meds ever? Thank you again

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin won't do much to reduce your numbers, but cutting right down on carbohydrates in your diet will. (Carbohydrates: bread, pasta, cereals, potato, flour products and anything sugary, including fruit juice and many fruits). My husband started out with a finger tip, spot reading of 24mmol/l and was down to non-diabetic numbers within 9 days. He continued to take Metformin for another 4 months. Almost two years after diagnosis, he continues to have non-diabetic numbers and no meds.
If you are not familiar as yet with the Low Carb High Fat diet (LCHF), do ask, there's loads of information on this site and others and, for many, it is THE way forward to a healthy life.
Sally

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. I'm assuming also that you have the standard Metformin and not the Slow Release (SR) version whcih should not be cut. Yes Metformin never has a dramatic effect on blood sugar but helps most if you are overweight. A low-carb diet is the key and if you are not already doing that, it may be possible to come off the tablets if you are lucky.

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Shouldn't be a problem as a one off . I started on 3 a day then cut it down to 2 now he has put it upto 4 , I think metformin is used more for loosing a few pounds

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi!

You'll not have done yourself any harm... Different people react differently to various metformin doses: I was started off on 3x500 metformin a day, and told to cut down if I had any issues. I think in the first month I only ever had the "runs" (literally!) on two or three occasions and they were actually associated with eating higher quantities of carbs (this was pre my current LCHF diet) rather than just the metformin itself. I had no other issues until they changed the brand, which disagreed with me.

Robbity