I'm Michelle, my daughter is 5, Type 1 and coeliac

Shelld70

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, I'm Michelle I have a daughter who is 5, she is type 1, and was diagnosed at 21 months old. Going through some tough times at the moment, she has also been diagnosed as coeliac, really appreciate any help and support from another parent who's going through the same thing.x

ivm18

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Michelle, sorry to hear about your daughter, my son was diagnosed 2 months ago, and it's been very difficult to accept that our son's life changed forever. I know how you feel, I feel every emotions you're having right now. But we need to cope, for our kids, for our family and for own selves.

Shelld70

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Michelle, sorry to hear about your daughter, my son was diagnosed 2 months ago, and it's been very difficult to accept that our son's life changed forever. I know how you feel, I feel every emotions you're having right now. But we need to cope, for our kids, for our family and for own selves.

Shelld70

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou for yours words of encouragement, I don't know about you, but I feel the coeliac disease has taken over the diabetes. Her bloods are up and down, we can't seem to level it out even though we are carb counting and her ratios have been arranged by the dns, I feel at a loss.x

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Thankyou for yours words of encouragement, I don't know about you, but I feel the coeliac disease has taken over the diabetes. Her bloods are up and down, we can't seem to level it out even though we are carb counting and her ratios have been arranged by the dns, I feel at a loss.x
Hiya,
Ratios you can change yourself, slowly but surely. If things are not working as they are then say so.
I use a pump now and it's so much easier to control my diabetes with the pump. Having both coeliac and diabetes does tend to throw a spanner in the works at times :(
At 5 years old you will have growth spurts and hormones to contend with as well, this all adds up to a battle with blood sugars. Oh and more frustration and worry for mum (((((((((hugs))))))))))) In a way I think I was lucky to be diagnosed aged 4 1/2, 50 years ago so Mum had no idea what my blood sugars were like so she didn't have that worry to contend with. Coeliac didn't come along until 2 or 3 years ago and like you I find trying to keep the numbers within a tight rein is hard work and frustrating.

Reactions: 4 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not a parent, but I am a Type 1 coeliac. It takes a right old balancing act with the two at first, as the diet alters in many ways, but there is a kind of levelling out when you discover the effects of which foods keep the diabetes under control, and what substitutions you can make . Have you joined Coeliac UK at all ? It's a good recipe resource, as is asweetlife.org as there are some excellent diabetic and gluten free recipes on there.

It must feel completely overwhelming for you all at the moment, but it passes as you find a way that works for your daughter and establish a routine and " fall back " regular staples .

Signy

Shelld70

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou for that, I'm sure everything will fall into place isoon I hope.x

Shelld70

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I live in Landudno, my daughter is the only diabetic in the school, I wondered if there was any other families in the area, and maybe meet up? It would be nice to chat and compare notes with families that are going through the same thing.xxx

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey I have both too, you just need to persevere for a bit until the gut heals. I found my bloods were all over as parts of my gut could absorb and others couldnt when I started GF :)

Cheese is your friend! you and your daughter will be ok, its getting easier every day I promise you :D x

Shelld70

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey I have both too, you just need to persevere for a bit until the gut heals. I found my bloods were all over as parts of my gut could absorb and others couldnt when I started GF :)

Cheese is your friend! you and your daughter will be ok, its getting easier every day I promise you :D x

Shelld70

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the words of encouragement. How are you finding using the pump, any problems?

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the words of encouragement. How are you finding using the pump, any problems?
No real problems, no. I self fund a CGM as well which helps a lot, generally I catch lows and highs before they get really bad.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi Michelle
I really feel for you and your daughter -- I have popped a link on for the JDRF kids section - they offer some great support on the diabetic side of things.

https://www.jdrf.org.uk/life-with-type-1-diabetes/kids-stuff

I am certainly willing to meet up with you to talk if you want ( i live about 35 minutes from Llandudno ) .
my wife and I could come along to meet for a coffee perhaps.

Reactions: 2 people

Shelld70

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, sorry it's taken so long to reply, yep that would be great to meet up, Colin and I sometimes feel isolated as we don't know a lot of people associated with diabetes. Do you have children or grand children that could come along and keep our 5 year old company? Make it less formal.x

Reactions: 2 people

Shelld70

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi in the last couple of days my daughter has said, " I wish I wasn't diabetic", she's five , what do you say? This started because she went for clinic appointment, we saw the consultant, and then it was the dreaded blood test, she went absolutely ballistic, she wouldn't allow anyone near her, the nurses said, they could see how distressed she was, was to come back in 2weeks time, and that time has come on the 3rd of June, we've tried to reassure her, and tried to explain how important these blood tests are, she says she wants mummy to do it, help!!