Confused !!!

Sharprita

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi am new to this and hoping to get some advice.i was diagnosed 9 months ago with pre-diabetics I didn't take it on board as I already eat healthily and always have done .i had to go for another test after 6 months I usually drag my feet but I went ,the day before I went on holiday I was asked to go for repeat hba1c in 6 weeks time ,while on holiday I googled it and was horrified so really pulled the reins in .went for retest and result was it previous reading had crept up but next was same .I have been to Desmond's course ,missed morning session on sugars as had appointment that morning.i have cut my carbs,sugars and fats but reading the blogs on here and Internet I am even more confused than ever.how the heck can I find out how to do it right.i don't want this to develop into T2. My sister was diagnosed T2 2 years ago.do I need to get a monitor if so which is the best and easiest as I hate needles..I would greatly appreciate any advice anyone has to offer ..many thanks

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @Sharprita I am amazed you haven't had a reply to this at present.

You have pre-diabetes so you have time to turn this around fast. The answer is to lose fat from around your middle. Diet I hear you say; well yep I am afraid so. So how to do it. I have discovered this simple fact that when trying to lose weight high insulin levels are your enemy. Unfortunately with pre-D your pancreas is creating lots of insulin and you get into this viscous cycle of putting on more weight as your insulin levels rise to counteract the increase blood glucose levels. You need to counteract this! So drop those starchy carbs and fruit, stop eating sugar in all forms (fruit, sweets, in your tea, in processed food, ...); may be look at doing a 5-2 diet, where for a couple of days a week you fast - I know many that it has worked for, or go on a very low calorie diet for a few weeks - worked for me to sort out my D (see the link in my signature)

So you have stopped eating those carbs so what do you replace them with. Three choices really:
1. Protein - you body breaks this down into glucose when it has excess which raises your background levels.
2. Fat - this will give you the energy you need to replace the lost calories. 9 calories per gram against 4 for carbohydrate. What is amazing is that eating high fat without the carbs causes you to not increase weight and for many to lose weight. Do not be scared of fat - by the way low fat foods have high sugar so not a good choice for you and is the road to D
3. Water and fresh air for a while - drastic but sufficient. You liver has plenty of stores to keep you going for a while so use it up and get back to normal

You are aiming to get your waistline to under 37" for men or 32" for women - these do vary with height but not by much.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

Sorry you didn't get a response til @Andrew Colvin bumped your post back up to the top. :)

Yes to everything Andrew said. With one teensy proviso. Some of us (a minority) develop type 2 for different reasons than having visceral fat and a fatty liver. For those, the slimming down and the exercise remain very, very important - the single most beneficial thing we can do. But I wouldn't want anyone to think that everyone is automatically guaranteed to get off the diabetes bus with weight loss. Age, genetics, environment and other health factors can play a part.

However, hopefully those comments won't apply to you, and with a few carb reductions, a bit less visceral fat (fat around and in the organs) you may stave T2 off indefinitely. :)

Don't worry about needles for the test meter. They are adjustable, so you dial it down to the teensiest most pain free prick, and I barely even notice it. Have you seen people recommending inexpensive meters? I use the SD Codefree - very 'cheap to run' ;)

Sharprita

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many thanks Andrew and Bruneria.i will read your posts until I digest it all. I'll look at the 5-2 diet.that could work for me as some days I'm not very hungry.Nurse did say probably genetic as sister has it and an uncle had it .i have already lost 3lb if my scales are right.i cut right back on carbs ,fats and sugar and have smaller portions.stop eating as soon as I felt full .it has taken about 4 weeks .its surprising what you can do when it's your health at risk.if it had been a diet I think I'd have fallen by the wayside earlier.thanks again to you both ,:) I had given up getting a reply .ill get the SD codefree and give it a try

Reactions: 2 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Many thanks Andrew and Bruneria.i will read your posts until I digest it all. I'll look at the 5-2 diet.that could work for me as some days I'm not very hungry.Nurse did say probably genetic as sister has it and an uncle had it .i have already lost 3lb if my scales are right.i cut right back on carbs ,fats and sugar and have smaller portions.stop eating as soon as I felt full .it has taken about 4 weeks .its surprising what you can do when it's your health at risk.if it had been a diet I think I'd have fallen by the wayside earlier.thanks again to you both ,:) I had given up getting a reply .ill get the SD codefree and give it a try

Yep that was the same motivating factor for me - 18 stone to 12 stone but before the diagnosis it just went up and up
That is pretty good losing those 3lbs. Mine is also in the family to but I didnt know until I got diagnosed. Shame they didnt tell us then we could have taken some action before (umm but doubt it would have happened).

For your info I am so much happier and healthier now than I was. So keep it up and fingers crossed for you.

Sharprita

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many thanks Andrew Colvin.i appreciate your time and hopefully my next blood test will have made it worth it ,keep well yourself

C

CheeseJunkie

Hi Sharprita,

I'm in the same boat as you. Recently diagnosed with pre-diabetes.
I have always eaten healthily (but with too many carbs? such as brown rice and wholemeal bread and home-made muesli), am slim (BMI 20, waist well within range), and have always been a keen cyclist and long-distance walker. So I was surprised, to say the least.

I'm determined to roll back into the normal range, if I possibly can.

I've ordered the Codefree (on advice from this forum) and am starting to self-test today. Yikes. (I also hate needles!)

I've modified my diet to low/carb-high fat. So I've got rid of the bread, rice, pasta, spuds... And I'm eating more nuts, and about the same amount of cheese, more full-fat Greek yoghurt, more eggs. I've always eaten oily fish, and now I'm just eating more. Large amounts of green veg too: broccoli, leeks, Savoy cabbage, green beans. Salads. A few bits of small fruit and some berries, and no bananas.
And no more beer.

Already this has made impact on my well-being (I already had several symptoms of diabetes): no more feeling fuzzy mentally, and managing to get through most of night without running to loo all the time. Fatigue is receding too. And less groin/skin itching! Blood pressure has gone down too.
And I don't feel hungry.

I'm now making sure that I do a piece of serious exercise every day. So something that stretches me physically, not just hours of walking.

On advice from this forum, I ordered Dr Trudi Deakin's 'Eat Fat' book (from her website). It's arrived and looks good. Explains clearly most things you need to know about low carb, if you want to go down that route to a lesser or greater extent.

I also borrowed Carbs & Cals book from the library, and will probably buy my own, just to familiarise myself with some of the numbers.

I'm making one change at a time, and making sure I put my health before other things, for a change.

(I had some more blood tests this week, and waiting to get results in 10 days or so...)

Good luck and keep us updated with your progress.

Sharprita

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi cheesejunkie your lifestyle sounds a lot like mine.dont eat junk purely because I was never brought up that way,my mother was Sicilian so that gives you an idea of my diet while I was at home.everything I cook is from scratch 99% of the time.i stop when I'm full if I leave anything on my plate it's the potatoes.not a drinker never have been only on holiday.if this is genetic am I still going to be able to sort it .you have given an idea of what veg etc to eat as that was my problem as well.sweet potato yes or no? banana yes or no ? I love any veg except leeks and onions ,still cook with them but cut them so I can pick them out lol.the dietician at the course passed round the Cals and Carbs book so I had a quick glance at it they have it on amazon so may get both books.been toying over weekend about meter so may take the plunge and do it.Feeling rotten today got a massive headache not sure why :( is it my blood sugar or something else ? .ditched all the full fat and got low fat and low sugar ,so now will have to ditch that and go back to normal lol .have been cutting back on carbs ,sugars and fat maybe that is my mistake ....thank you for you comments,good luck with the meter I feel for you

C

CheeseJunkie

My mum is Basque (northern Spain), so I know what you mean about upbringing. Food has always been real food.

I think sweet potato is an 'occasional only', not a staple. I had some today with my lunch (chicken, cauliflower...) but haven't had any for over a week.

Keeping a food diary is pretty key. Then you can check how often you are having things.

If you have a headache, make sure you are getting enough water and enough salt. Both really important.

Try drinking a cup of bouillon. I buy a pot of Marigold Swiss Veg Bouillon from my local shop. Great as a hot drink, contains a little salt so can be useful if you lack in diet. And it has no gluten, preservatives or nasty stuff, if that's a concern.

You can't really cut both carbs/sugar and fat. You need one or the other. Or you run out of energy.

Sharprita

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Then you understand why I'm thinking why has this happened? there's all the people out there that live on rubbish..:( will start a diary and maybe make note of how I feel each day.many thanks x

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Kind of refreshing to see I am not the only one struggling with a million questions. It is always hard to accept that after eating what you think is healthily you end up diabetic. For me it is probably genetic as a lot of females in my family have it. It doesn't make it any easier to take on board when it happens to you. There is a lot of information in the replies here that will help me too. I think the ''eat more fat'' is the hardest part as I have never eaten fat and the fear of putting on weight by starting now looms large. I have lost about half a stone in a very short time although that has now ground to a halt :( The dreaded ''donut belly fat'' is the hardest to shift....everywhere else is slim but that little beggar just refuses to budge grrrrr

chris555

inow why this has happened to me its my own stupid fault fizzy drinks lack of excerise plenty of excuses hopefully i can get off this train before i go all the way

Reactions: 3 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
inow why this has happened to me its my own stupid fault fizzy drinks lack of excerise plenty of excuses hopefully i can get off this train before i go all the way
Sure you can....the train stops right here and goes into reverse :) It takes an awful lot of willpower and effort to change the things we have eaten for so long but every single one of the changes we make will be one more step towards the goal of kicking this diabetes thing up the wall :D

Sharprita

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,I have taken the plunge and got the codefree test meter after feeling really ill on two occasions .i need to know if has anything to do with the prediabeties ..finding it very difficult at the moment mentally to be having to adjust my diet when I have a healthy diet as it is and I can't have the few 'treats' that I had..I don't know when I should test and how often ..have had it a couple of days now and not plucked up the courage to do it yet...any advice please ?? xx

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi All,I have taken the plunge and got the codefree test meter after feeling really ill on two occasions .i need to know if has anything to do with the prediabeties ..finding it very difficult at the moment mentally to be having to adjust my diet when I have a healthy diet as it is and I can't have the few 'treats' that I had..I don't know when I should test and how often ..have had it a couple of days now and not plucked up the courage to do it yet...any advice please ?? xx
Hi @Sharprita
I test nine times a day!
But you don't need to.
I would test before and 2 hours later after first bite. You need to pick and choose how you do it.
Experiment with different foods, different combinations of foods. All types of foods, to see what they do to your blood glucose levels.
Keep a diary, after a while, you get to know what your particular favourites do to you. Also you can test and experiment about how much of any particular food you can cope with.
For example, 3 strawberries is fine, 5 is not for me.

You could also, do your fasting bloods in the morning, to keep an eye on that.

After a while you could also test your spike at one hour.

The reasoning behind it all is that your bloods should not rise above 2mmols after 2 hours.
If it does, then either cut down on the amount of that particular food or stop eating it altogether.

Sharprita

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many thanx I wasn't sure if it was necessary for me to do it after every meal but it's the only way I'll get to know what is ok for me..my husband and I went for a meal the other night and I thought I was pretty safe with a mixed grill as I've been cutting the carbs down I didn't eat the sausages or onion rings only had half a dozen chips and a small glass of white wine I woke up feeling so bad in the night headaches and not quite with it and was bad the next day,that's what prompted me to send for the meter..did I eat too much meat ? ..thanks again x

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I really couldn't be sure.
It could have been any coatings on the meat. Something like that.
You could have just ate too much.
It could be that your blood levels have dropped and / or the amount of alcohol.
You can never tell. Until you test.

Sharprita

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Meat was plain grilled ,peas,mushrooms and half a grilled tomato ,,not normally a drinker but for once I wasn't driving so had a small glass.i don't know if this is right but did a fasting reading this morning 7.4 had some porridge and coffee did it again after 2 hours 6.6 but having trouble getting to grips with meter does this sound ok ? x

Sharprita

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just an update on my post from months ago...decided to go on the LCHF ..I had my review last week...Hb1ac was down from 45 to 44 disappointed at that as really had pulled the reins in.Bonus side of things I have lost 11 k ,blood pressure was good and cholesterol come down to under 6 something else had come down not sure what though...have been doing my blood every morning so had an idea it hadn't come down much was living in hope.So still going to plod on and see if I can get it down more for next review xx