Trying to get a CGM.....

Jezzer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I am new to the forum so please bear with me if this question has been asked in the past but I am looking for a quick-ish answer......:nailbiting:

I really want to get a CGM as I am completely hypo unaware :confused:, do a lot of driving and often have lows. I really wanted to get the Medtronic Minimed 640G pump as the Smartguard feature looks amazing. I am moving to pump therapy later this year and whilst I can get the 640G funded by the NHS my HCT cannot support the CGM that comes with it (even though I would self fund it) and Medtronic won't allow me to buy it without a letter from my HCT confirming that they can support it. :(

I have now been looking at the Dexcom G4 Platinum and wonder if anyone knows whether getting one of these requires a letter advising support from my HCT in the same way that the Medtronic one does ?

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, you don't need a letter to buy a Dexcom. Talked to Advanced Therapeutics - John Hughes is helpful & knowledgeable. Obviously iIt wouldn't work with the Smartguard feature though.

Personally I'd say that if you are completely hypo unaware, you ought to have a good case for getting a CGM.

Jezzer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks DunePlodder.
I did e-mail Advanced Therapeutics but probably too late for a response on Friday. I have received all their literature so know the costs and what to do to get the gear. My DSN knows that I am hypo unaware which is one of the reasons I am getting an NHS funded pump but has advised that CGMs are not yet funded in my area. I was very upset when she told me that they couldn't even support the CGM that is available with the 640G as I feel that it would be such an amazing step forward although there are some things that aren't quite so good about the 640G.
If, as you say though, I can get the Dexcom without having to get support consent in writing then I will go for it because having a CGM is better than not having one. Especially when driving or sleeping.:)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I hate to tell you this but it is totally illegal for you to drive if you are hypo unaware. Shame on your medical team for not informing DVLA that you are driving.
Surely you know the rules regarding driving and hypo unawareness? You are danger to yourself and any other road user. The onus though is on you to tell the DVLA you are also in grave danger of a heavy fine and prison for lying on your licence application form.
Oh and as an added bonus as you do not have a valid driving licence your ins is invalid. So potentially you could have the book thrown at you.
As to the cgm side of things if you are having a pump with cgm capabilities then all you need to do is ask your GP or nurse to write a note to say that they are aware of you using or wanting to use CGM. There's no support needed for using a cgm.
Advanced T sell the Dexcom without any letters it's non prescription.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jezzer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Carbsrok, thank you for you uninformed reply which is almost libellous in content. I shall not dignify your post with a response - other than you are wrong on almost every point you have made.......

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbsrok, thank you for you uninformed reply which is almost libellous in content. I shall not dignify your post with a response - other than you are wrong on almost every point you have made.......
Please explain where I am wrong?
It is illegal to drive whilst hypo unaware. It's an automatic revoke of your driving licence. So if you drive with no valid licence you are not insured.

DRIVING AND THE NEW MEDICAL STANDARDS FOR PEOPLE WITH DIABETES
www.diabetes.org.uk/Documents/Professionals/News, updates, ... · PDF file
DRIVING AND THE NEW MEDICAL STANDARDS FOR PEOPLE WITH DIABETES Recent changes to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) medical …

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Carbsrok is absolutely correct. If you are hypo unaware you should not be driving, your licence and insurance is invalid and if you haven't informed DVLA then your health team should have.

Reactions: 6 people

Jezzer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Carbsrok is absolutely correct. If you are hypo unaware you should not be driving, your licence and insurance is invalid and if you haven't informed DVLA then your health team should have.

I follow the DVLA guidance on pre-drive testing and testing every 2 hours. To date, in 30 years I have not started only one journey because I was too low and again, I followed the DVLA guidance for eating, waiting and re-testing before driving home. I have had no incidents of hypoglycaemia either requiring or not requiring assistance whilst driving and my original question is so that I can get a CGM to re-enforce my ability to drive without any issues. One of the reasons I need to go onto a pump is because I run higher when I know I am driving....my health team know this and are supporting me in getting a pump so that I can get my BS to a better place.

As I rely on driving to do my job - what do you suggest I do - surrender my licence and lose my job ??

Not going to happen.

Don't worry about replying - I will not be coming to this forum again.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I really want to get a CGM as I am completely hypo unaware :confused:,
This statement means by law you can not drive.
When filling in your renewal form regarding hypos you are asked point blank about detecting hypos.
This means that you have lied on your application form thus your licence is non valid as is your insurance.
As I rely on driving to do my job - what do you suggest I do - surrender my licence and lose my job ??

Even if it means the loss of your job yes.
It's better that way than the loss of a child's life because you have mown down that child in your hypo stupor.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I follow the DVLA guidance on pre-drive testing and testing every 2 hours. To date, in 30 years I have not started only one journey because I was too low and again, I followed the DVLA guidance for eating, waiting and re-testing before driving home. I have had no incidents of hypoglycaemia either requiring or not requiring assistance whilst driving and my original question is so that I can get a CGM to re-enforce my ability to drive without any issues. One of the reasons I need to go onto a pump is because I run higher when I know I am driving....my health team know this and are supporting me in getting a pump so that I can get my BS to a better place.

Not going to happen.

Don't worry about replying - I will not be coming to this forum again.

Please check all information via your local police station or the DVLA .
Best approach to find the ideal correct info and guidelines to adhere to .
Most positive way forward perhaps for you @Jezzer ?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Please check all information via your local police station or the DVLA .
Best approach to find the ideal correct info and guidelines to adhere to .
Most positive way forward perhaps for you @Jezzer ?
With respect Anna the info I provided is freely available on the DVLA website and if OP had answered the questions truthfully when he filled in his DIAB1 form he would not be on the road https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/diab1-confidential-medical-information It's people like him who seem to think it's one rule for him and something different for everyone else. Mind you there's no guarantee he has even told DVLA he has diabetes and using insulin.
No awareness is an instant removal of someone's driving licence, and quite rightly so for the safety of all road users.

Reactions: 2 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
With respect Anna the info I provided is freely available on the DVLA website and if OP had answered the questions truthfully when he filled in his DIAB1 form he would not be on the road https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/diab1-confidential-medical-information It's people like him who seem to think it's one rule for him and something different for everyone else. Mind you there's no guarantee he has even told DVLA he has diabetes and using insulin.
No awareness is an instant removal of someone's driving licence, and quite rightly so for the safety of all road users.

Hence how/why I suggested he vists his local police station and asks them .
Am sure they are well trained to let him know and spot all real factors .