Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your blood glucose readings for breakfast and lunch are all great! :)

You've made some good observations about how your blood glucose levels seem to stabilise.

The rise at lunch may well be to do with too much protein? I recall briefly looking at our post on the what have you eaten thread. If I remember correctly you ate a large amount of protein as well as it being a high calorific lunch.

I think you know - but, I'll mention it any way - over 50% of protein can be converted to blood glucose. So that may have played a significant role in your 3+ mmol / L rise.

Still, you seem to be monitoring well and finding out what works for you - good stuff! :)

Thanks though I think you are being very generous :) The breakfast reading was on a very low quantity of carbs. The lunch was deliberately the most challenging but 19g carbs is not excessive for non-diabetics at all. Yes protein can mostly end up as blood glucose but it takes much longer and shouldn't have really impacted on the reading that much. The best thing that has come out of the exercise is that it has motivated me more to get rid of a few extra pounds, especially as I now have an appointment for my 6-monthly appointment with the DN (I mis-counted the months so it's actually 7 months since last time!) in two weeks. By their scales I was 80.4kg (clothes on) and I want to be 75kg or under when I'm weighed again. I estimate I need to lose 5lbs to achieve that so I have 12 days to do it in. The optimistic side of me suggests I the last few pounds will make difference too, so let's see. But I am pleased with the level of physical activity I'm achieving, mainly with walking at the moment and for the last two weeks I'm averaging well over three miles a day over the whole 7 days of the week and I have now started cycling on top of that. At the same time my weight has at last started to fall again after being stuck at 12 stone dead for a couple of weeks and this morning was on 11st 11.5lbs. My lowest weight earlier this year was briefly 11st 10lbs and that was when I was getting consistently mid-low 5 BG readings.

Reactions: 6 people

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
83 mg/dl or 4.61 mmoles/l
Ketones 2.3 mmoles/l

Thinking about getting a combined ketone and BG meter but they are so expensive. Does anyone recommend a particular model?

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thinking about getting a combined ketone and BG meter but they are so expensive. Does anyone recommend a particular model?
Hola @vit90

You can pick up an Abbot optium or neo on ebay very cheap. And the ketone strips are cheap on ebay (relatively) if you buy say 30 or 40 from an aussie seller (Usually a reputable pharmacy business).

The Abbot will also test bloods but use the glucorx for that as can get the strips cheaper.

Hope that's worth investigating?

Reactions: 6 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I use the Abbot meter and strips, they are excellent. Strips are expensive, luckily my brother in Australia sends me some from time to time.He purchases them from some Au on line pharmacy ,very reliable and best prices in the world I think.

Reactions: 2 people

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have got an Abbott neo meter I could get blood strips on prescription but prefer my accu check for bloods and just use the Abbott for ketones when needed so I get my strips from DN at local hospital

Reactions: 4 people

Merrylizard1314

I use an Optium Exceed which is a combined Ketone and BG meter. I have tested against hospital readings and it corresponds well.the ketone strips are more expensive, but then I only test once a week now for ketones.

Reactions: 5 people

Merrylizard1314

Sunday, 24th at 6.15am. 4.3mmol/L ketones 1.8.
Next week I am to have an investigation of my heart rate and blood pressure which seems to be behaving oddly. Not quite sure what to expect.

Reactions: 14 people
S

Sable_Jan

Sunday, 24th at 6.15am. 4.3mmol/L ketones 1.8.
Next week I am to have an investigation of my heart rate and blood pressure which seems to be behaving oddly. Not quite sure what to expect.
Fingers crossed its nothing too serious or at least can be easily sorted.

S

Sable_Jan

Congratulations at @ally1 , @Gezzabelle, @loulou99782 on their "personal bests" and anyone else who I have missed......

Mine was a 5.2 this morning but had a nice low pre-lunch reading of 4.4 so happily munched my way through 2 burgen slices with pate (had 3 yesterday and with a higher pre reading I was 8.4 at 2 hours so not to be repeated. thought I'd try it whilst it was on offer but the slices are small and its very sweet (tho luckily I bought the pate which goes well with it) so won't be having it again...... nice to have a bit of bread but next time I'll have my own made which I guess are less carbs per slice AND larger slices.... we test and learn ;)

Reactions: 14 people

Merrylizard1314

Fingers crossed its nothing too serious or at least can be easily sorted.

Thanks @Sable_Jan, I'm hoping it will be a minor thing, easily fixed.
My BP has never been higher, and no combination of pills has had any effect. I have been imagining my blood pounding through all my arteries, causing all kinds of endothelial damage, so am quite glad of this investigation.

S

Sable_Jan

Thanks @Sable_Jan, I'm hoping it will be a minor thing, easily fixed.
My BP has never been higher, and no combination of pills has had any effect. I have been imagining my blood pounding through all my arteries, causing all kinds of endothelial damage, so am quite glad of this investigation.
White coat syndrome possibly? Or have you had a 24 hour monitor test already to disprove that?

Merrylizard1314

White coat syndrome possibly? Or have you had a 24 hour monitor test already to disprove that?
Not white coat syndrome. I have a home BP monitor. And an app to record the readings. I was doing very well with cc blockers, until I developed serious side effects. And it is finding an alternative, which has so far been unsuccessful, with skyrocket numbers. I didn't even know that BP could go that high.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hola @vit90

You can pick up an Abbot optium or neo on ebay very cheap. And the ketone strips are cheap on ebay (relatively) if you buy say 30 or 40 from an aussie seller (Usually a reputable pharmacy business).

The Abbot will also test bloods but use the glucorx for that as can get the strips cheaper.

Hope that's worth investigating?
Thanks, I hadn't come across that one. Will investigate for ketone testing as the sd codefree is very cost effective already for blood glucose testing.

orchid5

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try lidl high protein bread rolls, 10 carbs and relatively low gi too. I have them every now and then, don't spike my sugars.

S

Sable_Jan

Not white coat syndrome. I have a home BP monitor. And an app to record the readings. I was doing very well with cc blockers, until I developed serious side effects. And it is finding an alternative, which has so far been unsuccessful, with skyrocket numbers. I didn't even know that BP could go that high.
ooh, dear..... and I've "liked" your post but not in the true sense of the word....
I hope they find something you can take that works and you aren't sensitive to

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations at @ally1 , @Gezzabelle, @loulou99782 on their "personal bests" and anyone else who I have missed......

Mine was a 5.2 this morning but had a nice low pre-lunch reading of 4.4 so happily munched my way through 2 burgen slices with pate (had 3 yesterday and with a higher pre reading I was 8.4 at 2 hours so not to be repeated. thought I'd try it whilst it was on offer but the slices are small and its very sweet (tho luckily I bought the pate which goes well with it) so won't be having it again...... nice to have a bit of bread but next time I'll have my own made which I guess are less carbs per slice AND larger slices.... we test and learn ;)
8.4 after 2 hours on 2 slices Burgen and pate????...heck...I get 6.8 from 5.1 and only one slice and no pate :(

S

Sable_Jan

Try lidl high protein bread rolls, 10 carbs and relatively low gi too. I have them every now and then, don't spike my sugars.
Thank you I will try those... well I need to ask my friend to get me some cos I don't have a lidl nearby.... almost every other supermarket just not Lidl or Tesco (tho wouldn't go there if there was)

Status
Not open for further replies.