I don't want pain killer but !

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had so much pain lately but i have my first 6 month pump review in 3 weeks. i have too hit my targets which i'm on track and will do easily. (dont want to lose my pump)
but if i see my GP he might prescribe something that will mess up all my good work from the last 6 months. i know that it might be statins but i think its rheumatoid arthritis i'm not keen on taking pain killer because i'm worried about my kidneys.:(

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
It may well take 3 weeks to get an appointment to see GP anyway.

Even if you do see GP then you don't have to get a script or take the drugs before going to pump clinic.... That's your choice.

If you are on statins then that would be a case of stopping them!! You should have had a test after taking statins for 6 weeks but this doesn't show pain in muscles, depression etc.

There are lits of things that can be giving pain... It does really need to be discussed with your GP as you would not be obliged to change meds prior to pump clinic....

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It may well take 3 weeks to get an appointment to see GP anyway.

Even if you do see GP then you don't have to get a script or take the drugs before going to pump clinic.... That's your choice.

If you are on statins then that would be a case of stopping them!! You should have had a test after taking statins for 6 weeks but this doesn't show pain in muscles, depression etc.

There are lits of things that can be giving pain... It does really need to be discussed with your GP as you would not be obliged to change meds prior to pump clinic....
I can get a GP appointment within a few days and i tried giving up statin but only for a few days. it might be good to just cut down from 20 mg to 10 mg.
i can wait 3 weeks. I've got a B12 injection coming up and that might help.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I can get a GP appointment within a few days and i tried giving up statin but only for a few days. it might be good to just cut down from 20 mg to 10 mg.

You are lucky with GP appts!!

Theres just so many things that can give pain and most of pain relief does have some effect on either stomachs, blood levels or somewhere not wanted!!

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Not all pain killers increase bg levels, discuss your options with your gp and ask if you can stop or reduce your statin dose, being in pain adds stress to the body which in turn can lead to higher bg levels, you might be surprised to see an improvement in your bg control if you get the pain under control.

Reactions: 8 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had so much pain lately but i have my first 6 month pump review in 3 weeks. i have too hit my targets which i'm on track and will do easily. (dont want to lose my pump)
but if i see my GP he might prescribe something that will mess up all my good work from the last 6 months. i know that it might be statins but i think its rheumatoid arthritis i'm not keen on taking pain killer because i'm worried about my kidneys.:(
Have you tried Evening Primrose Oil for RA? I am not into alternative therapies generally, but that one does have some actual scientific support. You can't stop taking the meds to stop the progression, but it apparently it does help with pain. (But it takes about 8 weeks to really take effect.)

Last edited by a moderator:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Does anybody take aloe vera juice? Uuchy stuff but my friend gave me a bottle as she swears by it for aches and pains. I been taking for a week and apparently got to take it for 3 weeks to see an effect. Just wondered if anybody else takes it?

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does anybody take aloe vera juice? Uuchy stuff but my friend gave me a bottle as she swears by it for aches and pains. I been taking for a week and apparently got to take it for 3 weeks to see an effect. Just wondered if anybody else takes it?
Do you drink it or rub it in

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Drinking it!! - lol... Have been reading up on it.. Think when its gone its gone.. Will keep on my evening primrose...

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was trying to get someone to rub it in . but when they found out aloe Vera was a member of the cactus plant family they did n;t want to know ....Or that's there excuse..

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

My consultant makes allowances for other medical conditions. One of my appointments seems always to be just after a viral infection which has sent blood sugar sky high. He usually throws in a comment about the infection having affected my results and doesn't blame me.
Just make sure you mention pain, medication or anything else that could have affected your results.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You know, I don't think they will take away your pump if you have another treatment which affects your BS. All it means is that you will have to reset your basal and bolus rates again. With any basal bolus regime that will be the case so there is absolutely no call to switch you back to MDI.