Gastoparesis

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
My consultant thinks I have gastoparesis and wants me to have a gastric emptying scan. I don't think they do it near here, Basildon. Has anyone had one and if so where did you have it? Many thanks
Donna x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Not had specific tests for gastroparesis but been diagnosed with slow colonic transit.

Fixed my problems without any laxatives or enemas which GPs and Consultants want to dish out willy nilly.

I do not have jelly babies as hypo stoppers. I rarely eat any products with wheat or grains. If I do it creates problems.

I do have up to two tablespoons a day of flaxseed and also some chia seeds. The inclusion of these foods has without a doubt kept my stomach working normally. If I go away for a weekend and don't eat them I will certainly suffer.

My gastro chap feared he was going to have to send me to the top chap in Uk in London for gastroparesis but fortunately for me and the NHS I managed to find ways to stop any medicines, and expensive ops...

Last edited by a moderator:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr Bernstein's book has quite a lot of information about gastroparesis so might be worthwhile borrowing it from the library.

Hope you get things sorted.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Adding another thought that crossed my mind. My understanding is that the damage to the vagus nerve may cause gastroparesis. Dr Datis Kharrazian recommends the following (and slightly odd) "exercises" to re-activate the vagus nerve:

(1) singing loudly
(2) prolonged strong gargling - i.e. making a loud noise and prolonging as long as possible, preferably to the point of tears
(3) using tongue depressors to activate the gag reflex (governed by the vagus)

SlickStretch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Adding another thought that crossed my mind. My understanding is that the damage to the vagus nerve may cause gastroparesis. Dr Datis Kharrazian recommends the following (and slightly odd) "exercises" to re-activate the vagus nerve:

(1) singing loudly
(2) prolonged strong gargling - i.e. making a loud noise and prolonging as long as possible, preferably to the point of tears
(3) using tongue depressors to activate the gag reflex (governed by the vagus)

My GI Dr said the same thing about the vagus nerve. I'll have to try those. Except #3. I'm sick often enough without making myself gag.

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My GI Dr said the same thing about the vagus nerve. I'll have to try those. Except #3. I'm sick often enough without making myself gag.
Have you tried the sugar-free gum that Dr Bernstein recommends after eating - seems like the simplest solution if it works - stimulating saliva and gastric function?

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very interesting reading. I don't have too much of a problem with high bloods post food. If I do it's mostly late afternoon before dinner. I'm not 100% convinced it is gastoparesis, so I'm pleased he's doing the test. He's prescribed domperidone but says I can't take it for long. The nausea is nowhere near as bad, dizziness still awful but he thinks the dizziness is unconnected so back to the GP for that.
Thanks guys x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Funny chewing gum is recommended. I chew gum a lot nowadays (sugar free). Never thought that this could enhance my stomach!! Just thought it was annoying for everybody else!!