Pre-conception clinic?

jodysd6

Hello! Just wondering what people's experiences of attending a pre-conception clinic were?

I am type 1 for 14 years, on a pump for the last 7, so I see my consultant around 2-3 times a year anyway, for the last year or so my thyroid has been classed as borderline hypothyroid and I knew that that could have an impact on pregnancy so went to my GP for folic acid and to ask about it and have now been sent appointment for clinic. My main concern is that I am not 100% sure about when I am going to start ttc as at the moment I feel so knackered I'm scared I won't cope being pregnant, plus have a holiday in august so not looking to try until late in year at earliest. I feel like I might be wasting their time! It's same consultant as I see for my pump but with midwife too. I may just be scared as this makes it seem real but would love to hear of people's experiences going to a clinic.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I didn't go to a pre-conception clinic as I just spoke to my consultant at my regular appointment.

But I don't think you'd be going too early. If you go now, it'll give you plenty of time to get everything just right before trying to conceive :)

I'd definitely get your thyroid sorted first. Remember sometimes it can take a while to conceive, so many people see their clinic months before they actually get pregnant.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

jodysd6

My thyroid is just hovering, my TSH has been around 5-6 for over a year but my thyroid antibodies were really high, they won't treat at that level but when I looked at the nice guidelines they said to aim for a TSH below 2 for ttc so I don't know if I am ttc if they will maybe treat it?

jade88

I started going to the preconception clinic last summer but didn't start trying till Christmas! They will help you get your hbac1 low enough before you start trying and prepare you for the journey ahead! Good luck! xxx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My thyroid is just hovering, my TSH has been around 5-6 for over a year but my thyroid antibodies were really high, they won't treat at that level but when I looked at the nice guidelines they said to aim for a TSH below 2 for ttc so I don't know if I am ttc if they will maybe treat it?

I don't know for sure, but my thyroid was checked to see if it was ok to conceive. It was obviously considered important.