Please help now. Ketotic hypoglycaemia.

tanith1989

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
hi guys hope u remember me i cant find my old post for thouse who dont know me my little girl is two be 3 in September when she was 9 months she had her 1st known low blood sugar episode went to 0.3 then its gone down hill from there hospital admissions over and over with her being ill and it falling well about 4 ish months aho sje got her diagnosis of kitoic hypoglycaemia last week shes been poorly and bloods wemt to 1.7 dexrta gel didn't really do the trick so were in hospital she's now on a dip to stable them they went up to 8.1 now back down to 4.1 still on this drip now drinking and eating little bits she had a bug same thing that brought her in last times but this time something new shown up keytons now i new nothing about these till last night they was at 3.5 in her blood witch they told me was high and what caseing4 ot was because shes diydrated sorry cant spell witch the drip would fix so it went down to 0 amazing now there going up again 1.8 i dont get it they shouldn't be going up should they i Google it and all comes up os diabetes these nurses dont know much waiting for docs to do there rounds i just need advice from people who know wont beat around the bush and know this area plz any advice os welcome xx

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @tanith1989

I'm so sorry to hear that your little girl is so poorly, and back in hospital.

Have a look at this link.
https://abbottdiabetescare.co.uk/what-is-diabetes/ketones
It may give you a better idea of what are safe and not-safe ketone levels.

I don't want to give you any suggestions or advice, because I have no experience of childhood ketotic hypoglycaemia. Your medical team are much better placed to do that.

But from my perspective, as an adult, with reactive hypoglycaemia, I would think her ketone levels of 0-8 are not dangerous, and are being monitored to make sure they don't rise too much. Type 1 diabetics are concerned about something called keto acidosis, but you will see from the link that it takes much higher levels of ketones before that is a risk.

How is you little girl doing now?

tanith1989

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
shes picked up lodes eating bow they are going to check her bm and keytones again at 9.30 xx

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ketotic hypoglycaemia is not diabetes .If it is that then it's a good diagnosis since it seems that children grow out of it.
.There are scientific papers about it but the best easy source I could find seems is this
http://www.hypoglycemia.co.uk/types/ketotic-hypoglycemia.html
Wiki adds a bit more; scroll down for 'Ketotic hypoglycemia: the "disease'
They have to do lots of investigations to make sure that is the correct diagnosis and that there aren't other things causing the symptoms.
That's why it has taken so long for them to give a diagnosis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketotic_hypoglycaemia

twinklystar

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello
My little boy is 3 and he was diagnosed with type 1 in January this year. When we found out he had diabetes he was dka which is diabetic ketoacidosis. His bm was over 47 and his blood ketones were over 7. He was very poorly but recovered after a few days after starting his insulin etc. From what I understand anyone can get ketones when they have a bug which dehydrates them or puts them off food. My son had a d and v bug not long ago and had ketones but they went as he got better and began eating/ drinking again. They did go up and down alot (from 0.8 up to 2.8) but as I said, once he was on the mend they settled down. I was told to worry if ketones were high and bm was also high, so I would try not to worry even though it's hard not to xx

Stacey

David147

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hypoglycemia is the clinical syndrome that results from low blood sugar. The symptoms of hypoglycemia can vary from person to person, as can the severity. Classically, hypoglycemia is diagnosed by a low blood sugar with symptoms that resolve when the sugar level returns to the normal range. Who is at risk for hypoglycemia? While patients who do not have any metabolic problems can complain of symptoms suggestive of low blood sugar, true hypoglycemia usually occurs in patients being treated for diabetes (type 1 and type 2). Patients with pre-diabetes who have insulin resistance can also have low blood sugars on occasion if their high circulating insulin levels are further challenged by a prolonged period of fasting. There are other rare causes for hypoglycemia, such as insulin producing tumors (insulinomas) and certain medications. These uncommon causes of hypoglycemia will not be discussed in this article, which will primarily focus on the hypoglycemia occurring with diabetes mellitus and its treatment.