bg levels

sputnick007

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed T2 recently with Hal1c
Of 58
I had a finger prick test at pharmacy and was 6mml and was told it was fine.
I know the Halc1 tests levels over a couple of months so why is the finger test good
Also I've managed to lose 4lb in 10 days but still feel nauseas with metformin
Would it help if I was to do daily blood levels as I would feel happier knowing the levels were ok,

Reactions: 2 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed T2 recently with Hal1c
Of 58
I had a finger prick test at pharmacy and was 6mml and was told it was fine.
I know the Halc1 tests levels over a couple of months so why is the finger test good
Also I've managed to lose 4lb in 10 days but still feel nauseas with metformin
Would it help if I was to do daily blood levels as I would feel happier knowing the levels were ok,
Yes it would help you to understand how different foods affect you. Testing your bg is a vital part of controlling diabetes and don't let the doctors tell you differently.

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just decided to take the plunge and ordered a monitor. Just waiting for it to arrive but I think it will give me peace of mind that I am doing ok and to know any foods to avoid or make a very occasional treat.

You need to do what feels right for you. Fab news on your weight loss.

Hope you start to feel better soon

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your glucose levels go up and down all the time depending on things like what you've eaten and when, whether you've recently done any exercise, or if you're feeling ill or stressed. The HbA1c test measures an average of your blood glucose levels over the last few months, but the finger prick would be a one off reading showing your level at the time it was taken, so it's a bit like trying to compare apples and pears. Have a look here for more information.

It's certainly well worth getting a meter to test your glucose levels as that will tell you much better how you getting on on a regular daily basis, rather than relying totally on the HbA1c test, as the average may consist of good fairly stable levels or lots of erratic highs and lows.

Robbity

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi
The idea is to keep your finger prick readings reasonably low ,6 is ok but try for a bit lower if you can low 5's would be good that way the other test will come down on your next visit . Good luck JJ.