Cgm help

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am considering getting a c g m but there is little advice out there. I want to get one as sports is challenging to improve my diabetes control and to help me more with regulating it all as I seem a bit all over with specific times. I would love to know anyone who uses c g Ms views and opinions?

Telgreen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had a dexcom g 4 for about a year now best thing ever ! I can get 3 weeks out of a sensor which makes it bit more cost affective , u just have to keep it stuck to you , one thing is if you are sweating a lot from sports it's not that good as it does make it come unstuck easily

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I have the Dexcom and it works fantastically well. No problem with stick as long as you make common sense precautions IE, stick it down with skin tac. As long as you remember the reading is 20 mins behind your actual blood sugar reading it's simple to use and understand.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a Dexcom.
I'd go as far as saying that for me, it was life changing. Certainly wouldn't go back to life without one, though there's no denying that it is very expensive.

Reactions: 2 people

HaroldC

I've tried Dexcom and Abbott. The Dexcom is very expensive to start (£1300) and more expensive to run, but you CAN get the sensors to last longer (which will bring the running cost down to the same as a Libre) The receiver will give to you alarms, which is handy. The sensor system (which is stuck to you at all times) is taller than with Libre, and can be tricky if you wear tight clothes (I find that if the sensor is pressed into you it stops working for an hour or so).
So for design, Libre is good. For usefulness, Dexcom is good. All in all CGM is the way to go, but it's still not ideal.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for info everyone I am quite torn. Is it waterproof just I swim a lot well try

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do you use a pump? if so that might affect which one you choose. the Dexcom can use the animas vibe as a receiver taking out the initial cost making it much cheaper! the vibe is also waterproof so you can keep it on while swimming or whatever.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I do wear a pump. My pump is by my life omi pod but it's good to know the above information

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Oh that's brilliant is it good at giving hypo and hyper aigns
The receiver is not waterproof though on the stand alone systems. Obviously is with the animas pumps as the pump is waterproof.

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
... If you have the option of getting the new Medtronic 640g pump then it's waterproof with no separate receiver needed. Plus is has the suspend before low feature, which very much appeals to me.

However -- I do know people rate Dexcom higher for cost and accuracy...

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes i can see what you mean. Unfortunately I had a very bad experience with Medtronic so I won't use them now but thank you for info

Reactions: 2 people