What a difference a day made!

Barry36

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All the rubbish TV repeats, Crowds, Noise, Bad drivers, Telephone calls, punk, opera, rap (is that supposed to be music?).
Since going on insulin more than two years ago I've kept comprehensive records of things like weight, BS readings (all of them), meals and so on and what they have shown in the last week has been startling.
The day I refer to in the title of this post was last Tuesday 19th May. I did my first one day fast from dinner on Monday evening at 6 to brunch on Wednesday morning at 11 -- 39 hours. I was apprehensive but I needn't have been, it was a doddle. I then carried on my normal routine of 32u in the morning and quick acting humalog averaging 10u for each of my two meals. (Conventional medical advice tells you to aim for a balance of 70/30 but I've found that 60/40 suits me better.)
Since the fast my readings have come down from an average of 7.6 to 5.7 -- highest 7.2, lowest 3.6 the morning after. That's easily the best weeks figures I've ever had. I often get something wrong with my control and usually have several double figure readings, but not this week. I wasn't especially careful with meals and ate as usual so the reason must be the effects of the fast. I find that really encouraging.
(My weight went down by 3 lbs the day after, but has since crept back to pre-fast.)
I did try another one on Friday but didn't make it through the day and got a severe attack of the runs so I think maybe the start of my planned IF lifestyle of twice in one week was too drastic for my 79 year old bones. I'll carry on but ease into it more gently, so for now I'll stick to my 7/17 daily fast and a once a week all dayer -- see how that goes for a while.

By the way, I know that history is measured by BC/AD, and days are measured by AM/PM, but I now measure my life in BF/AF -- Before Fung and After Fung!
Cheers for now.

Reactions: 6 people

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great results, Barry! Well done! :) It's probably a very good idea to take it more gently, though, as you've already discovered.

I'm considering trying a similar full day fast (24 h +), some time soon. Your result is very encouraging!

Reactions: 2 people