FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a question to those of you who have skin reaction. Does it appear only under sensor placement area? Or have you had it anywhere else on your skin?

Only under the sensor for me. As stated above, even reacted through a hydrocolloid plaster - the plaster was about 1cm in diameter bigger than the sensor and the sensor was firmly on top of it so not touching my skin at all. There are no marks and no reaction in the 1 cm around the outside of the sensor where the plaster overhang was, but a perfectly sensor shaped and sized reaction under the part of the plaster that had the sensor directly on it. Weird - I'm at a complete loss and would love someone to shed some light on this.

Smidge

obates

Thanks. I seem to be having a sudden onset of hives but nowhere near where i place the sensor. Was wondering if its connected. The sensor is not due to come off for another 10 days and the readings are pretty much spot on so im not taking it off just yet...

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Only under the sensor for me. As stated above, even reacted through a hydrocolloid plaster - the plaster was about 1cm in diameter bigger than the sensor and the sensor was firmly on top of it so not touching my skin at all. There are no marks and no reaction in the 1 cm around the outside of the sensor where the plaster overhang was, but a perfectly sensor shaped and sized reaction under the part of the plaster that had the sensor directly on it. Weird - I'm at a complete loss and would love someone to shed some light on this.

Smidge
Mysterious... like crop circles ;)

Reactions: 2 people

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Definitely only under the sensor, 99.999% it's the glue.
I'm going to call Abbott tomorrow to report my reaction; hopefully everyone else is too. I find it shocking that they're telling people that it's not a widely reported issue given the volume of us who have had issues both on here and on the Facebook group. I really hope they are investigating a new glue.

Andy_P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm going to call Abbott tomorrow to report my reaction; hopefully everyone else is too. I find it shocking that they're telling people that it's not a widely reported issue given the volume of us who have had issues both on here and on the Facebook group. I really hope they are investigating a new glue.
Anyone know an easy way of counting how many of us have had a reaction?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
All reactions dhould be recorded to the official MHRA site too under mechanical or electrical mechanical equipment....( not drugs).

Andy_P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You could start a thread with a poll
Thanks for that, new thread created in same section as this thread. The thread is called

Freestyle Libre - Have you had a skin reaction ?

Please answer Yes or No.

Thanks ~ Andy

Reactions: 4 people

finney

I've an interesting observation on this sensor. As I've mentioned, it has been running quite a long way from good, however, I was suspicious that this might be due to a reaction. Over the last couple of days, I've been taking anti-histamines for hay fever, and have discovered that during the 5-7 hours post taking them, the sensor accuracy realigns with that of the fingerprick tests. They then seem to go their separate ways.

So for me, at least, it seems that the sensor reaction is ameliorated by the use of Anti-Histamines. I'm looking forward (sort of) to getting the replacement and taking this one off to see what remains of my arm underneath...

Tim. I am on 360mg of antihistamine daily, instead of the usual 10g but haven't been able to find a specfic pattern of problems. This sensor seems really good and I wonder what is the trigger for bad results.
If the reader is within my range, I go with it.
On Saturday I went to the marvellous lecture on Sugarsurfing. Dr Stephen Ponder, talking about CGM said it is best to get the start of the day good. There is a new Facebook Forum starting now called Sugarsurfing UK. Alternatively look up The Power Within. Stephen Ponder is an Endo, 50 years Type One and Pump and CGM user.
On the day, JDRF asked everyone to refer to Type 1 Diabetes specifically if they mention it. Might help others to know it is two different things.
Tricia

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Is there connection between swimming and skin reaction???

Its just im on my 5th sensor now a few days in.. on my prev one i went swimming a coupke of times and when took it off my skin was a bit red. No itching or peeling skin off. So i put new one on and went swimming yesterday. I covered sensor with opsite to prevent contact with water anf chlorine. Took opsite off afterwards as didnt like it on my skin and in the morning today strange circles appeared on my thinghs were i place the sensor... so im wondering if its connected to swimming... maybe i had a reaction to the opsite... or maybe its the start of skin reaction to the libre sensor. The red marks have now gone off my skin btw. I will have to wait until sensor replacing day to see whats going on underneath but am a bit suspicious about swimming....

@obates I don't have any experience with swimming with sensors yet. It was just me reasoning. I will go on a beach holiday in June and can post my experiences then.

@pinewood I think I have now done 7 sensor placements over Compeed (without cutting a hole in it first) and about 5 have worked, 2 sensors in a row became instantly useless.
Don't know what caused the 2 sensors not to work: when I took them off I saw the small plastic thing coming out of my skin (so it should have been able to read I guess). Maybe the small actual sensor can get confused when it gets Compeeds glue on it while shooting it through.

However the Compeed has until now prevented any further skin reactions for me.

Tip: I now order 2 sensors at a time, so I have one left if one fails..(it's expensive yes I know)

Last edited by a moderator:

TOMJC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What is the operating temp for the libre sensor? I use sauna 2/3 times a week and am guessing it will completely ruin it. Don't need to use it when in sauna but would be nice if it could 'survive' the experience and be used afterwards. Anyone have any experience?

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What is the operating temp for the libre sensor? I use sauna 2/3 times a week and am guessing it will completely ruin it. Don't need to use it when in sauna but would be nice if it could 'survive' the experience and be used afterwards. Anyone have any experience?

Hi Tom,

I don't know the operating temperature, but I'm not sure the adhesive would survive that level of heat and sweat. If I was going to try that, I'd certainly put something over the sensor to keep it firmly stuck.

Smidge

Reactions: 3 people

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Got a nagging pain in my shoulder since some days. First thought it was related to gym exercises, but it doesn't go away. Even now I haven't been in the gym for some days now.. Don't want to blame everything on the Libre but it ís on the same arm, and it started after applying the current sensor. I applied the current sensor a bit more on the back..could there be a relation?

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have u been laying awkwardly to avoid putting pressure on it?

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had no issues firing my latest sensor through a Compeed but noticed on the Compeed packaging that it says "diabetics should consult their doctor before using". Anybody know why?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Going back to my sensor that has been developing some interesting variance from blood readings. Sadly, it seems to have been the sensor. Happily this is because there was no skin reaction :)

The other thing I noticed is that this is the first sensor that has been hanging on by the skin of its teeth. All of my others i have had to prise off using extreme force. This one practically fell off. The sticky was not at all sticky.

Looks to me like Abbott may well still be experimenting with the glue.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Looks to me like Abbott may well still be experimenting with the glue.
I spoke with Abbott today about the skin reactions I have been experiencing. The call centre operator told me that there has been no change to the adhesive since the product was launched and the adhesive has never been changed or modified. However, he stated that Abbott is currently looking into alternative adhesives that may reduce the occurrence of skin reactions but that this is a "time consuming process" and it is "likely to be many months" before any alternatives they investigate actually reach the final product.

Reactions: 4 people