What are your carb % aka, how do YOU low carb?

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I finally got around to using myfitness pal today and after inputting my days meals had a shoc to find that instead of the 30g I thought I was consuming, it was more like 39-40g a day. I really dont think i could go lower and this is maybe still low for me.

So my questions are:

1. What percentages of food are you eating e.g % of carbs, %fat and %protein

2. How many grams of carbs are you eating each day? are you strict with your intake? do you measure or do you guess?

Thnk you all, looking forward to your resonses:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have to be honest I don't know my carb to fat to protein ratio or how many carbs I consume per day! My carbiest meal of the day is probably breakfast when I have hot oat cereal and oatmeal when I'm at work or eggs on seeded toast when I'm home. I eat a lot of salads, meat, fish, cheese and veggies but also have potatoes and reheated pasta occasionally. I'm still losing weight and, depending on the time of day, my BS is usually between 4.8 and 5.6 pre meals.

Reactions: 7 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm much the same as @Daphne917 except I don't have pasta and only a few new potatoes occasionally. I just eat what I think is low carb, add fat if I think I need to and try to remember not to eat a lot of protein at once, but I don't measure anything. I am about 3kg underweight. My measure of success is simply if I feel well, which I mostly do.

Reactions: 9 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like @Daphne917 and @DeejayR I'm not an avid food measurer/calculator. I try to eat a varied low carb high(er) fat diet, and have cut out all sugary or starchy carby foods, except for mainly above ground vegetables and small portions of fruit, mainly berries.

After an initial learning curve of checking nutritional information, I've always "guestimated", but also still make sure any processed foods (e.g. sausages, beefburgers) on our shopping list are suitably low carb.
I currently aim for around 30 or so grams of carbs a day, but allow for 30-50 grams, eat plenty of fats and fatty foods, adding a bit more fat if I get hungry, and am currently watching portion size for my protein as I believe I've been having a bit too much.

I still need to lose a fair bit of weight, but my glucose levels are generally pretty stable though slightly higher than I'd wish (fasting and pre meal within type 2 recommended levels, and happily post meal levels are mainly well within normal range) , and I've been more or less in ketosis since i started low carbing, so assume I must be doing something right! :D

Robbity

Reactions: 11 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
The last time I measured my food (everything down to the gram) was 9 January 2015. During that last week of macronutrient counting it was on average per day: 6% carbs (48g), 70% fat (189g), and 24% protein (148g) and 2567 calories.

Since then I haven't bothered to weigh my food, but that's probably around what I eat now more or less. Maybe a bit more since I'm exercising more.

Reactions: 6 people

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
very interesting answers and this is why i posted the question. i am suprised to see 70% fat on a couple of replies. This is why i am enjoying this forum, there are so many helpful people :)

Reactions: 2 people

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
very interesting answers and this is why i posted the question. i am suprised to see 70% fat on a couple of replies. This is why i am enjoying this forum, there are so many helpful people :)
Don't forget the grams to % ratio will vary accordingly to the total cals per day and that not all the foods have been verified so worth checking that (green tick).

Btw does anyone know how to delete foods on your app or do you have to go to the main website?

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I finally got around to using myfitness pal today and after inputting my days meals had a shoc to find that instead of the 40g I thought I was consuming, it was more like 39-40g a day. I really dont think i could go lower and this is maybe still low for me.

So my questions are:

1. What percentages of food are you eating e.g % of carbs, %fat and %protein

2. How many grams of carbs are you eating each day? are you strict with your intake? do you measure or do you guess?

Thnk you all, looking forward to your resonses:)
Instead of 40g, it was 39-40g? You are shocked by 1g difference, or is that a typo? I mean 1g difference must fall within a standard deviation, mustn't it? It is actually impossible in practice to be that accurate about carb counting.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't forget the grams to % ratio will vary accordingly to the total cals per day and that not all the foods have been verified so worth checking that (green tick).

Btw does anyone know how to delete foods on your app or do you have to go to the main website?
On my iPad, I sort of swipe the food to the left and then a red delete button appears on the right. That may work for you.

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Instead of 40g, it was 39-40g? You are shocked by 1g difference, or is that a typo? I mean 1g difference must fall within a standard deviation, mustn't it? It is actually impossible in practice to be that accurate about carb counting.
no I meant that I thought I was consuming 30 or under, before.I started to log it and check

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
no I meant that I thought I was consuming 30 or under, before.I started to log it and check
So a typo - you said "instead of the 40g (FORTY) I thought I was consuming"! I was a little surprised at your accuracy!:)

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On my iPad, I sort of swipe the food to the left and then a red delete button appears on the right. That may work for you.
Thanks Ruth I'm android so will put on the iPad and try it from there.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not tracking percentages, but try to keep to around 30g carbs per day - sometimes I'll go as high as 60, but rarely above that.

Reactions: 4 people

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have 10% carbs, 20% protein and 70%fat. I'm having 1400cals per day as I'm trying to shed some weight I gained. I am strict with the carbs which come from veg/nuts/berries, but I occasionally go over in the fats.

Reactions: 4 people

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How on earth do you get so much fat into the diet? For instance, today I'm having/had several cups of tea with full fat milk, two beef burgers with a slice of cheese and broccoliflower cheese and garlic butter chicken. I will have to read up on increasing fat!

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It takes a little getting used to. I eat lots of mackerel, avocados, Brazil nuts, wallnuts, I use cream in coffee, butter, olive oil and peanut butter! I manage with ease to get it all in over the day!

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Remember that it is 80% in calories of fat, not grammes of fat.

Makes it much easier!

I try to keep the carbs low, the protein normal, and then fill up on things like mayo, butter, cream, oil, to prevent hunger.

Reactions: 6 people

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How on earth do you get so much fat into the diet? For instance, today I'm having/had several cups of tea with full fat milk, two beef burgers with a slice of cheese and broccoliflower cheese and garlic butter chicken. I will have to read up on increasing fat!
It's easy: swap milk for double cream, add another slice of cheese and some mayo to the burgers, extra cream or cream cheese with the broccoli, and 2 Tbs butter with your chicken. It adds up! As Brunneria said, it's the percentage by calories, not by weight or volume - and fats have double the calories of carbs and protein.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Remember that it is 80% in calories of fat, not grammes of fat.
And that per gram of fat you get 9 calories as opposed to 4 calories per gram of Protein and Carb.

So you don't need to eat huge amounts to hit calorie targets.