So What Happened Here?

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
This morning my fasting BG was 6.5 (bedtime last night was 6.1). I didn't eat anything today until 12:15 when I had a bowl of homemade vegetable soup (carrot, onion, turnip and leeks, made with 2 Knorr Stockpots and the whole pot was about 2 litres) together with 2 slices of corned beef. Before I ate my BG was 6.3 and 1 hour after it was 8.7. I retested twice but it was 8.9 and 9.0 - even worse!

OK, at 2 hours it was back down to 5.7 and as I write this it is 5.1 (so I guess I can eat at dinner time!).

So what caused the 2.4 rise after 1 hour? Was the soup the guilty party or was the corned beef the villain?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Probably the soup, carrots and turnips my be the culprit, both grow underground and produce sugar for growth. but having said that it sounds delish and as you say you are back to a 'normal' level.

Reactions: 3 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes. Probably the soup. Corned beef has very little or no carbs. Some people here find onions can affect them as well as the carrots and turnip. Fortunately I seem to get away with onions and carrots but turnip always spikes me. I love them all. One of the benefits of having to take insulin is a once a fortnight roast binge :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes probably the carrots and turnips, I have to ration my starchy carbs in my homemade soups and curries. Onions for me are fine, weird ain't it ? Or is it me?

Reactions: 2 people

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If it were me, the fact that I hadn't eaten for a long while would be pertinent too - you get a sort of rebound effect as though the body was panicked thinking you were starving and over-compensates in its haste to process the meal. But does a 2.4 short term rise matter that much - it seems fairly predictable that a hearty root veg soup would do that on a long empty stomach.

Reactions: 4 people
C

catherinecherub

Did you see the ingredients in the stockpots?

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=259338780
Ingredients:
Concentrated Chicken Stock (Water, Chicken) (36%), Glucose Syrup, Salt, Sugar, Flavourings, Yeast Extract, Chicken Fat (2%), Carrots, Palm Fat, Potassium Chloride, Leek, Gelling Agent (Xanthan Gum, Locust Bean Gum), Parsley, Garlic, Caramel Syrup, Maltodextrin, Carrot Juice Concentrate, Colour (Mixed Carotenes)

Nutrition
Nutrition
Typical Values Typical Values Per 100 g per portions** %* per portion**
Energy
680 kJ/160 kcal 50 kJ/15 kcal <1%
Fat 4 g 0.3 g <1%
of which saturates 1.5 g 0.1 g <1%
Carbohydrate 26 g 2 g <1%
of which sugars 9 g 0.6 g <1%
Fibre 0.7 g <1 g -
Protein 4 g 0.3 g <1%
Salt 15 g 1 g 17%

Curly604

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Would be the stockpot me! As above ingredients aren't great

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
There were 4g of carbs from the stockpots in the whole soup, which was 2 litres worth. She didn't say just how big the bowl was and therefore how much of the 2 litres she consumed, but if she managed to down the whole lot of it, I would image the 4g of carbs in the stock were the least of her worries. :wacky: There was probably more than 4g in the carrots alone.

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
Probably the soup, carrots and turnips my be the culprit, both grow underground and produce sugar for growth. but having said that it sounds delish and as you say you are back to a 'normal' level.
Yes. Probably the soup. Corned beef has very little or no carbs. Some people here find onions can affect them as well as the carrots and turnip. Fortunately I seem to get away with onions and carrots but turnip always spikes me. I love them all. One of the benefits of having to take insulin is a once a fortnight roast binge :)
Yes probably the carrots and turnips, I have to ration my starchy carbs in my homemade soups and curries. Onions for me are fine, weird ain't it ? Or is it me?
If it were me, the fact that I hadn't eaten for a long while would be pertinent too - you get a sort of rebound effect as though the body was panicked thinking you were starving and over-compensates in its haste to process the meal. But does a 2.4 short term rise matter that much - it seems fairly predictable that a hearty root veg soup would do that on a long empty stomach.
Did you see the ingredients in the stockpots?

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=259338780
Ingredients:
Concentrated Chicken Stock (Water, Chicken) (36%), Glucose Syrup, Salt, Sugar, Flavourings, Yeast Extract, Chicken Fat (2%), Carrots, Palm Fat, Potassium Chloride, Leek, Gelling Agent (Xanthan Gum, Locust Bean Gum), Parsley, Garlic, Caramel Syrup, Maltodextrin, Carrot Juice Concentrate, Colour (Mixed Carotenes)

Nutrition
Nutrition
Typical Values Typical Values Per 100 g per portions** %* per portion**
Energy
680 kJ/160 kcal 50 kJ/15 kcal <1%
Fat 4 g 0.3 g <1%
of which saturates 1.5 g 0.1 g <1%
Carbohydrate 26 g 2 g <1%
of which sugars 9 g 0.6 g <1%
Fibre 0.7 g <1 g -
Protein 4 g 0.3 g <1%
Salt 15 g 1 g 17%
Would be the stockpot me! As above ingredients aren't great
There were 4g of carbs from the stockpots in the whole soup, which was 2 litres worth. She didn't say just how big the bowl was and therefore how much of the 2 litres she consumed, but if she managed to down the whole lot of it, I would image the 4g of carbs in the stock were the least of her worries. :wacky: There was probably more than 4g in the carrots alone.

Thanks for the responses. I now think it was the vegetables as the bowl I ate was only .25 of a litre. I had checked the carbs in the stockpots before I made the soup and, as they were well diluted with water, I doubt if it could have been them. The soup was fairly thick with grated vegetables and so another lesson learned - I think I'll give the cauliflower and stilton soup a try next time. That three of my favourite soups on my 'blacklist' (lentil and scotch broth are the other 2).

:cat:

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Please don't stop eating something you enjoy on the basis of this response - which was both perfectly predictable and acceptable.

If I were to make any suggestions however it would be not to leave it so long between meals, that in itself causes wider fluctuations - eating at regular intervals is more important for steady BG control. And secondly, maybe add a big dollop of cream or creme fraiche (or your Stilton) to the soup to enrich it and slow down its digestion. When you grate or blend veggies in soup they will be digested faster than bigger chunks, so maybe cook it less or make it chunkier so your system has to work a bit harder digesting it, slowing down it going to your bloodstream.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

catherinecherub

I wasn't suggesting that the stockpots had too many carb but rather that the ingredients were not suitable,a chemical cocktail.