What oil do you use to fry food?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I use olive oil or mix of olive oil and butter (sorry Nosher - it's the B word again) for pan frying, rape seed for deep fat frying and rape seed, dripping, lard, duck fat etc for roasting.

Reactions: 2 people

Talos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfriendly people, MP's,
Sunflower or Rapeseed well drained seems to suit me fine.:)

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
Don't fry much, but when we do, it's old fashioned beef dripping. The amount we fry, even my cardiologist doesn't mind.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also like Kerrygold.

Gezzabelle, for the most part I only use [whispers "butter"] for pan frying meat and vegetables, but I am collecting bacon grease in the fridge - http://www.ehow.com/how_4523256_store-bacon-grease.html I haven't looked at other animal fats.

This article is helpful... http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/cooking-fats-101-whats-a-smoke-point-and-why-does-it-matter.html

Lots of disagreement on this topic, though I think most here, rare exceptions excluded, are in agreement to NOT use polyunsaturated cooking oils at all.

I encourage you to do your do your own research. A place to start is to do a search on "cooking oil smoke points". It's confusing though. I read one thing on the lists then something different on the cooking oil's label - (typically it's a lower smoke point).

After reading a lot of lists, articles, and labels, I finally settled on refined high oleic organic sunflower oil with a smoke point of 450 degrees F for all cooking purposes, including making mayonnaise, but it's expensive.

I think it's okay to cook with coconut oil for sautéing or low temperature pan frying, though probably not for caramelizing vegetables. I prefer butter for that, partly because of it's flavor.

I just looked at the label on my extra virgin olive oil (EVOO). It's suggested uses are "dressings, marinades, bread dipping". "Marinades" surprises me. I don't think they're referring marinading meats to be cooked on the grill. I've been told to not heat EVOO, which is confusing because so many recipes use olive oil.

Let us know what you choose. :)
I'm thinking coconut oil and olive oil at the moment....and butter of course as the flavour of it is soooo nice :)

Reactions: 4 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just a quick question....what type of oil/fat do you use to fry food. I don't really know which to use apart from butter. I am eating very low carb and wanting to be sure that I am not messing up all my efforts by making the mistake of using the wrong oil to fry my meat...currently using Olive oil or rapeseed spray oil
Don't fry with extra virgin olive oil. It breaks down into carcinogenic elements at high temperatures. If you want to use olive oil to fry you have to use the second or third press. In Turkey this is sold as "Riviera" olive oil. I don't know what it is called in other countries. Palm oil gives me IBS, coconut oil gives me a sore rear end, so I use Riviera oil or butter or (shock, horror) sunflower seed oil.

Reactions: 8 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like things simple:

If it's going to get hot in the pan, I use coconut oil.
Or butter (for flavour)

If it stays cold (salads) I use extra virgin olive oil or rapeseed oil.

If I buy mayo, I buy Helmans which is rapeseed oil
If I make mayo I use half rapeseed, half olive

Reactions: 7 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
We used cold pressed virgin rapeseed oil or ghee if we are getting it hot. Virgin Olive oil if not.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Which coconut oil to choose?
c90056f40d7804372e3c93ce7c5cc4cb.jpg

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have two types of coconut oil on hand. Both are organic, unrefined. One is expeller-pressed, the other cold pressed, but I don't know if one process is better than the other. I also found the choice overwhelming. Buckled down, read all the labels, and finally just picked one. :)