Weird query

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I eat a lot of tomatoes and I have always put salt on them, just them. In my salad the salt is precisely put in the middle of the cut tomato.
I always add salt to taste in my cooking, of omelette and veg with meat.
I just don't think of salt otherwise.!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @nosher8355

Yes, even on low carb I get inflammation (knees and hand joints mainly).
It takes ketosis and VLC to get rid of them.
Yesterday served as a very timely reminder of what happens when things go pear shaped. :D Even when it's a comparatively small carb increase.
And it breaks my heart to see people suffering crippling inflammation and not knowing that a few dietary changes might make a huge difference. The husband of a friend of mine has just had 3 operations for arthritis within 15 months, and eats toast for 2 out of 3 meals, every day. :banghead:

Just off to dig out my summer stash of potassium and magnesium supplements.
Fingers crossed the solution is as simple as that!

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol

Did I have one of those too?
They're delish!

40 g of nuts and seeds (79%) and goo, of which ?? is palm oil and rapeseed (I eat the peanut ones most of the time, because they are lowest carb). The nuts are whole. Some golden syrup and sugar. But since they raise my BG by less than 1 mmol/l at 1 hr and less at 2 hrs, I'm satisfied they are neither a problem, nor any more 'processed' than a homemade flapjack. Probably less so, actually.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This is how daft I am sometimes,
I have just sat down to my early evening repast, (tea around here), and as usual I'm having salad with my curry, I have salted my tomatoes as usual, then threw curry all over them Doh!

Reactions: 4 people

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
9bar looks great. But I know I could not eat one without a significant rise in my BG levels. Much too high carbs for me. My max is 12g per meal, so this would equate to a complete meal.... And I would end up hungry. The equivalent I have is a bowl of flaked almonds, sunflower seeds, pine nuts, crushed walnuts, flax seed and double cream. About 4g carbs. Peanuts are very carby.

But if I could eat it without a BG level rise I would.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol. Funny you should mention inflammation!

Yesterday's carbs = rheumatic pains in my hand joints this morning.
So I think that may be a fairly useful (but HIGHLY unscientific) gauge of inflammation... ;)
I've got my own barometer like that - left elbow or index finger will start aching if I've eaten something that doesn't agree with me.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Brunneria
Just something I've noticed about being in ketosis, I'm not suggesting it by the way!
Is the little things, like joints swelling, arthritis, etc.
I've said before, that the likes of other bodily functions and feelings have now just that normal.
For instance, no plaque, solid and regular stools, no indigestion, no stomach problems which have dogged my life. Plus others, my hands were in a terrible state after retiring from my job before I got this one!
I have had ops on both hands and injections for movement between my thumbs and fingers. Carpel tunnel op has made a great difference.
My knees were always sore in my last job etc.

This last year, has seen improvements in not only my body but my activity and my aches and pains are in remission.

I can only put this down to my lifestyle, mainly diet, mainly ketosis.
I don't do the heavy counting stuff, I think I am so used to eating very, very low carb and little and often.
With full fat with protein and of course plenty of yoghurt.
Don't think it will help, but you are in a quandary and I thought a bit of a morale boast was in order.

Don't worry too much about these little things, you know when you are right.
Nosher, Just to be sure I understand. . Your aches and pains have got less bad while you're in ketosis?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Nosher, Just to be sure I understand. . Your aches and pains have got less bad while you're in ketosis?

Hi @LucySW
This is what I think,
Whilst consistently having continuous hypos and uncontrolled blood glucose levels.
The effect on my brain was dramatic and horrible.
I felt every symptom, from the mood swings to the unusual body temperatures I was feeling.
I was ill, and I felt every ache and pain that my hormones was creating for me.
I was constantly tired, irritated, etc, etc. There was so many symptoms, a lot of them symptomatic.

Since being in control, my body is behaving itself. No extremes, the symptoms have largely disappeared, including, my aches and pains.
I don't feel ill no more, and the extra energy is brilliant, from where I was.
I worked in heavy industry on a conveyor belt, my hands were ripe for arthritis, rheumatism and I have already said, carpel tunnel and cortisone injections.
Since being in ketosis, my hands are still, not as good as they were when I was young, but I have noticed the difference. My knobbly knees, are misshapen and do ache but not as consistently, as they did.
I couldn't kneel three years ago, but I can now.
I do not get swelling no more, in my hands or anywhere else. The other thing I've noticed while I'm writing, is my healing is quicker from cuts and bruises. I work now as groundstaff, I do not have any problems with the load I'm given since being in control.
I'm fit for my age, now the excess weight has gone, and mowing for five hours or so is not a problem. Though I do get out of breath sometimes and I have 5 minutes or so (10) every hour.
The bottom line is, because I was very ill, though I didn't know it at the time, because I feel healthier and fitter, this explains it.
Or does begin in control matter more than being in ketosis?

Nosher.

Reactions: 5 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@LucySW

I can say for sure, that my aches and pains have most definately improved by being in ketosis, via the LCHF way of eating. ex hip, and leg pains.

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Brunneria my tuppence... I was diagnosed 2.5 years ago; initially they assumed type 2 because I wasn't a child, but because I also was slim they said they'd check the antibodies too... Anyway -- that took ages so I started a low carb diet... Two months later my blood sugars weren't dropping (but weren't massively rising either) and my Gad came back through the roof.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I decided to go super low carb and high fat to see how long I could extend my honeymoon -- I wasn't on insulin at the time... I extended it for 18 months in total, but by the end of it I felt exactly I you describe -- basically bloody awful.

Amongst other things my hair was falling out quite drastically, I didn't lose any weight whatsoever (which wasn't the aim, but I did find odd) and I was exhausted all the time.

Now I can't comment if the issue was protein related as I don't eat meat... But I do know that as soon as I stared insulin I felt a million times better -- to the extent that the night I started insulin I was almost bouncing off the walls (in spite of feeling v low about taking it) and my boyfriend was joking about what he was going to do with his new energetic girlfriend!

... I think that a combination of factors were at play -- for me -- I think my body needed some glucose... And I think I had almost no insulin left, so my body literally couldn't get any energy into my cells...

I now have an average of 100g carbs a day and it's a MUCH better balance for me; my energy is SO much better, my hair has stopped falling out and my weight has pretty much stayed the same -- plus my insulin use is an average of 20 units per day inclusive of basal and bolus, which I'm happy with.

-- so, my take on your situation would be that you a) may have stopped producing insulin (I know t2s can/do) b) might even be LADA c) might just need some carbs -- I know I did.

Hope that helps a little -- good luck in figuring it out x

Reactions: 6 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Gosh that's interesting to read Artemis. I've some thoughts on patterns of LADA which I'll put together and put down soon.

Lucy

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I found 9bars in Sainsburys and thought I'd give them a try. They had surprisingly little impact on my BG levels (even as a T1), in spite of the reported nutritional content (to the extent that taking what I expected was the appropriate level of insulin to cover one resulted in a hypo.

They are best described as odd!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found 9bars in Sainsburys and thought I'd give them a try. They had surprisingly little impact on my BG levels (even as a T1), in spite of the reported nutritional content (to the extent that taking what I expected was the appropriate level of insulin to cover one resulted in a hypo.

They are best described as odd!
:D

Not that I am grinning at your hypo!
As a T2 I use them as a hypo preventative, rather than a treatment, because I have found exactly the same...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, and a very brief update on my weirdess.

We've just had a Bank Hol weekend, so eating was a little irregular and less predictable.
But I did manage to keep the protein lower (by having less or no protein at breakfast) and I added extra salt and took Potassium and magnesium supplements.

Felt fab.

So will try this for a week, and see if I get any Hollowness and muscle wobbliness.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@LucySW , @-Artemis- , on the comment relating to LADA and trying to prolong the honeymoon period, it's worth bearing in mind everything else that insulin does. Whilst it allows GLUT4 transporters to get glucose into the cells, it also manages the use and absorption of fats, along with controlling release of fatty acids as a fuel source. Allied to this, it has a part to play in ensuring that amino acids are taken up by muscles (and maybe other parts of the body) as well as being one of a number of factors in managing glucagon and therefore the liver's production of glucose.

So while as a LADA, you might be able to control BG levels to some extent with diet, you should keep an eye on other indicators, as the reduction in production of insulin that you see will be having an impact on your body in ways that probably aren't obvious.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah, now I see your point about how the lipid metabolism fits in ... Thanks Tim.

I'll come back on this. But for now, just the anecdotal observation that I felt much better immediately I was taking rapid-acting insulin. (Whereas basal didn't seem to make any difference ad I'm not even sure I need it .. Tiny amounts, 2/2.5u. )