Recycling old meters & equipment

Pitsgate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've amassed quite a ridiculous number of blood glucose meters (fully working) over the years and was wondering if someone has recent knowledge of charities that might be interested in such? Same with lancet devices, boxes of pen needles...? Thank you.

Reactions: 4 people

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure how true this is, but I read that meters cannot be recycled, due to the fact that they may have come into contact with blood.

Pitsgate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So... If anyone else is wondering what to do with a surplus of d paraphernalia: IDDT is happy to get unused meters & lancets, unfortunately they cannot take used ones. Bit of a shame as this rules out quite a few of mine (why do I have 4 contours...?), but no can do.
Pen needles they can use as well, a fine new home for my pre-pump stash.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you gather enough items ( thinking outside the box .. So the wife says ) could you not make an art installation demonstrating what diabetes means to you ..using the meters and everything .. Maybe a calibration of some of the arty ones here ... How cool would that be ( yes the wife is standing over me to write this :nailbiting: )

Reactions: 2 people

Pitsgate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hah! I kinda did that for a BA project (film, photography, & digital media) a long time ago and got a really **** score. Admittedly, it was a last minute divine inspiration (desperation) sort of thing but Damien Hirst has nothing on me...

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Try emailing IDDT and listing what you have to see if they can use it in their help for developing countries :
http://iddt.org/here-to-help/helping-developing-countries

Some they can use, others they can't, but what you can give is immensely useful to them :)

Unused in date insulin is always welcome too.

Signy
I have sent in my unopened or used meter(s) and Insulin(s) - (all within expiry date)
They have been immensely grateful for them all too .
My unused and unopened Insulin pens were sent to the kiddies which really
touched and humbled me .
Just wish I could have sent 'more' ...

They do send them to some third world places and sources like the red cross .

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hah! I kinda did that for a BA project (film, photography, & digital media) a long time ago and got a really **** score. Admittedly, it was a last minute divine inspiration (desperation) sort of thing but Damien Hirst has nothing on me...
How wonderful .. Could you post it in the blog area .. The wife would love to see it .. Her art is based on dead wildlife !!!!! More Helen Chadwick than DH !

Pitsgate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah ok anna29 (ugh. forgotten how to link name properly) - would be great if they can use all of it. You think the note about the used vs unused is sort of 'cosmetic'? To my email about meters etc (lancets, in/out of date pen needles) I got this reply:
"Thank you for getting in touch. I am afraid that we can only use the unused meters to send to Africa but they would be much appreciated if you could send them to the address below."
And next, after prodding further about (unused) lancets and (in date) pen needles:
"We can certainly use the lancets and pen needles to send to Tanzania."

Guess I can just post it all to them. Just didn't want to merely pass the trouble of disposing unwanted stuff.
What's the point with expiry dates on pen needles anyway?!

Enclave - dead wildlife eh, interesting :). The marvellous piece (ok, debatable) I did was shot with medium format camera, might have the negs somewhere back home (in Finland)... Will check next time I'm there :).
And if I get inspired with current mountain of pump **** I'll post the results!