Really really stupid - Missed Levemir dose

Trixy83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take 17u levemir at night at 7pm and then 15u at 7am. This morning my alarm went off to do it and at the same time my little boy woke up. I thought I'd go get him first and take my injection later then got caught up in the rush of getting him ready and getting myself organised for work. Just got to work and realised I totally forgot to take it! I suspect I will start to go high soon as my levemir only seems to last 12-13 hours. Do I just correct with extra novorapid? Tonight do I just take my usual dose and start again? I'm such an idiot!

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just keep a close watch on your levels and correct with Novorapid where necessary. Then take your usual Levemir dose this evening.

Reactions: 5 people

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok so you are now 2 hours 50 minutes late. I would take your morning dose now (perhaps reduced a little to 14u) , then take your evening dose at about 8:25 ish. Gradually getting back on schedule. Tomorrow morning return to your normal time.
Do a bit more testing than usual just to be sure.

Reactions: 2 people

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Now you are really confused! I hadn't seen Robert's reply, which is equally valid.

Trixy83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Problem is I am at work now and my levemir is at home, I don't carry it around with me, just my novorapid so I won't be able to take it at all until I get homoe tonight, which won't be until 6ish

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
robert72 has given you good advice,it's certainly what I would personally do.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So, in these circumstances , go with @robert72 's advice .

If at home , go with @DunePlodder 's.

My advice- get into the routine of carrying both pens, because you never know if you may need them. See my comments on the Zombie Apocalypse ;):D:D

Signy

Reactions: 7 people

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Follow Robert's advice, making sure to do extra testing.
Take this evening's Levemir at your normal time.

Trixy83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all, it's rising already so I think it's going to be one of those days :(

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Second what Signy said. Also be sure to keep your fluid intake up as you will likely dehydrate as your body tries to keep the BS down.

It's really sucky when you do forget but the advice you have had this far is probably your best option at this point.
Assuming that you will do a couple of correction doses during the day just keep this in mind as you will then potentially still have some active novorapid in your system when you do inject your evening Levemir so keep testing tonight in case your sugars start to drop off in a hurry.

Best of luck and hope you don't feel too yucky come the end of the day.

/A

Trixy83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all your advice folks! I'm actually amazed how quickly all the rubbish symptoms seem to come back. Sure I've had high numbers before for one reason or another but always had my basal in me. Maybe it's just the placebo affect but I feel so much more thirsty than usual. I'll keep up with the corrections, I'm trying not to correct too much though, and tried to have as low carb lunch as possible and I'll hopefully sort it out tonight! Another lesson learnt!

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Remember how when your sugars came down to normal range after diagnosis and being high and you felt hypo. Well this is the other way round.

In some ways I would say take this as a sign that you clearly have been keeping things about right and your body agrees by making you feel like **** when they climb back up high so suddenly.

Don't forget to keep an eye out later tonight for lows and let us know how you get on.

If it is not too nosey it would be interesting to hear what exactly you did to manage today and what your bloods did and then how you get back to normal. Might be useful to help inform others.

Trixy83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Andy, I'm actually realy annoyed with myself. After my nightmare time of it from what we assume was my honeymoon ending I've actually been doing really well and in the last week I have only had one reading above 9! Very frustrating.

If it helps (and to help me keep track) heres my day so far.
5.45 - Waking reading was 6.7
6.45 - Breakfast reading 7.2 - Breakfast was a small pack of mini chedders because I didn'f feel like eating but need something in my system - No QA taken as not needed.
7.00 - Should have taken my levemir dose here.
9.00 - Get to work and realise I'd missed my dose - checked and reading was 8.7. Didn't correct at this point as although higher than usual it wasn't too high and I knew it would get worse and I don't want to do correction after correction.
10.30 - 12.3 - really starting to see an increase so took 2u novorapid. Usually 1u will reduce me by 2.5 so based on this I would expect a reading of 7ish but knew this wouldn't happen.
12.00 - 16.4 - looks like my 2u correction has had zero impact, well it maybe has but can't be seen due to the lack of basal. Took 4u Novorapid on the basis of a reduction of 1u=-2.5 (again I know this won't be the case today but I was concious of insulin stacking and my previous dose was an hour and a half ago. Also had lunch - Chorizo slices with crispy bacon - very minimal carbs and usually something I wouldn't bolus for anyway.
13.30 - 19.6 - really starting to feel it now. I'm thirsty, my eyes are blurry and I just want to go home and have my levemir! - Based on the 1u=-2.5 I would normally take 5u for a reading of this but know it's not touching it. I took 7u, again concious that I took 4u 1 and a half hours ago.
16.00 - 22.6 - feeling really really rubbish now. Took another 5u but know this won't touch it!

It's been an experiance today, and also a very valuable lesson. Ever since diagnosis I have always been told, and see all the time posted here, how getting your basal dose is the most fundamental thing you can get right to control this. I always knew this to be true and today and just brought home just how true it is! I don't think I fully appreciated just how hard that wee injection works in keeping everything flat and under control and how big a difference it makes not having it there.

My plan is that tonight when I get home I will have a very low carb dinner, I would say skip altogether but I don't think that's the best idea with how I'm feeling so I'll just have a plain omelette or something. I aim to eat no later than 6.30pm where I will take a reading and bolus for correction - I plan to increase my correction ratio from 1=-2.5 to -3.5 given the lack of basal. I will then take my basal at 7pm as normal. I'm using the assumption that the QA dose I have taken at 16.00 should be out my system by 8pm using the 4 hour profile and at that point my bolus from dinner will be in affect. I understand though that it can take levemir around 2 hours to start working so I might not be as low as I'd like. I will check levels again at 10pm and see where I am. This will put me 3 hours post my last bolus dose and 3 hours after my basal so I'm hoping I will be lower! If I'm still higher than I would like I will take another correction reverting back to my usual 1=-2.5 given I now have basal in my system. I'll set an alarm for 1am just to check and make sure I'm not going too low!

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully it might even help show anyone newly diagnosed why everyone always says getting your basal right is so important.

Thanks again for all your help everyone.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not so much that you needed correction doses - as you say you had no basal - so it might have been better to spread the missing 15 u of Levemir using Novorapid over the 12 hours. I did a similar thing once when I forgot my Lantus and it kept me reasonably level.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
From experience, strange illogical things can happen in these sorts of circumstances. The insulin you've taken which seemed to do nothing can stack & come back to bite you when common sense says it should be out of your system.
Hopefully it won't happen to you but keep doing the checks - your fingers are going to be sore by the end of the day!

Trixy83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a quick update! Home from work, checked levels and I was 20.9 so a wee bit better than at 4pm. Going to have dinner and I've taken 7u novorapid. Will check again at 8 when i take my levemir. Fingers crossed I've come down! Thankfully tomorrow is my day off work so if I need to set alarms for through the night then so be it. I also tested for ketones as soon as I got in and so far all clear but I will check again. Thanks for all your help and advice today. I feel I keep a total muppet but it's one of those I won't do again things! I'm picking up my prescription for cartridges to start using fhe echo pen so I can carry 2 pens in the case for that.

Trixy83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another quick update! Check levels at 20.20 and I was down to 8.1 and just now I'm 7.6! Never been so glad to take my levemir! I will continue to check through the night. The reason I think I've lowered tonight is that I'm always more active at night. I have a desk job so tend not to move around too much but at night I run after my son, make dinner, tidy up, exercise etc so I must respond better. Thanks all

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Another quick uit date! Check levels at 20.20 and I was down to 8.1 and just now I'm 7.6! Never been so glad to take my levemir! I will continue to check through the night. The reason I think I've lowered tonight is that I'm always more active at night. I have a desk job so tend not to move around too much but at night I run after my son, make dinner, tidy up, exercise etc so I must respond better. Thanks all
Great you feel better now. It must have been horrendous day. It happened to me before but I was able to go back home from work and get my injection. I carry my long lasting with me everywhere now

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad that your levels came down and you were feeling a bit better.
How are you feeling today and did you do alright last night?
I must say that I think robert72's suggestion of basically filling in your basal dose with your rapid is probably not a bad idea, though I guess some people wouldnt really want to do that many additional shots. Still something to consider if this ever happens again.

Hope you have a better day today and don't be too hard on yourself. I once left for a 1 week business trip and was 20 miles down the road before I realised all my insulin was still in the fridge at home. Had to get the taxi to turn around and only just made my flight. That could have been a bit of a disaster.

Replicant

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting experience (to read, not so nice experience to you), thank you for telling this. So you took 18 units of Novorapid during the day and the only carbs you ate were the breakfast mini cheddars?

Few weeks ago I was traveling in Asia and run out of Levemir as my trip was extended. I also lost one Levemir pen on a plane. I used only Novorapid for five days before I got Levemir in Hanoi. My levels were OK, however I was checking the levels every three hours and correcting with Novorapid. I find it strange that the Novorapid did nothing to you during the day. Just shows how different we all are.

BTW, great medical service in Vietnam. I did not get insulin without prescription. Had to have a quick medical check with a nurse (just blood pressure) and a short chat with a doctor. Cheap too. In Spain I can get Novorapid and Levemir without prescription (lost my insulin luggage while riding my motorbike in the Pyrenees). Also got insulin without prescription in Beijing.