Feeling down

Lilybella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all my baby girl who is 2 got diagnosed 3 weeks ago with type 1! I'm really finding it hard not to blame myself for her getting it. I feel I'm not the one looking after her as the nurse have called me every day to talk about the levels of insulin she has 4 a day (so grateful for all there support) we have been back in hospital over easter due to her getting tonsillitis and a infection in her chest which resulted in her not eating so I was very unsure how to deal with the insulin. She had a few hypos already not bad what's good but I cry so much as I feel im not doing enough I may be doing something wrong what if Iv not got the food right. So much going threw my head more bad than what I am doing for her did anyone else feel this way and how long will it last just really want to do everything right for her. Any words to help me along would be much apreshate

Thanks for reading love a proud mummy of her baby girl bella and her big sister Lily

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Lilybella, sorry you have joined us with such sad news and just choked up thinking of your baby. I am an old Type 2 but I remember the fear and sorrow when my son was very ill more than 30 years ago but you don't forget. Lots of people here will support you and give good advice. Best wishes from Old Gramps.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Sorry to hear that your daughter has joined the T1 exclusive club.
It is an awful time for the parents as well so my thoughts are with you too. It can also affect siblings as they are caught in the middle of having to adjust themselves.
Many parents have shed many tears over diabetes. However, I will say this... It makes the family stronger in some ways... More so as you look at packaging on foods and realise what a load of sugar junkies the world has become. It will stand you all in better health with your food choices. Diabetic diets are healthier than the vast majority of non diabetics...
They'll be tears and frustrations a long the way but personally from my experience as a T1 I know that diabetes has made me a lot more aware of health and a better person than I would have been.
Sorry, Lilybella to hear of another child joining our exclusive club...best wishes to you and the whole of your family....

Reactions: 10 people

antrlfsz

HI Lillybella

My daughter was also diagnosed when she was 2, it has been almost 2 years now since her diagnosis. I felt exactly the same as you but after doing much research I have come to terms that it was not my fault or anybody elses fault. Type 1 diabetes is unfortunately carried over in our genes and just needs some trigger to be activated. My husband and I have taken a positive approach to our daughters condition and have managed to get her glucose under control with A1C's ranging from 6.5 - 6.8, sure you will experience the highs and lows especially because your daughter is still growing, this alone triggers glucose levels to rise for no reason. When my daughter was diagnosed all I could think of was research, research and research, that would be my advice to you, get to know what you have & your daughter will have to deal with in the future, this helped me so much and put my mind to ease. But don't believe everything you come across, if I wasn't sure I asked our doctor or educator for more advice.

You and your family will be just fine, your daughter will soon adapt to her condition and will turn out to be a little trooper, they are so resilient and as a mother it will come naturally to you to provide the best possible care for your daughter.

Read your labels of your products that you buy and cut down on the carb intake, its the carbs that cause major spikes more than anything else.

My thoughts are with you and your family, be strong, the light is at the end of your tunnel and not to far either!!

Reactions: 9 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome to the club, that no parent wants to belong too. My granddaughter was diagnosed with Type 1 at 2 1/2 years, her parents coped much better than me, I was blaming myself for not picking it up ( she was in the terrible two's) and I felt so guilty because I have type 1 too. But she is now 6 years old and a happy and a healthy child and enjoying school, her friends and her life. Honestly it will get a bit easier in time , it can be such a shock and also upsetting, it may take a little time for you and your family to adjust, but in time it won't seem so bad.
Take care and best wishes RRB

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Reactions: 2 people

Lilybella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you to everyone for replying my girl is amazing and taking it all in her stride she even started to do the blood test her self with help and her and her older sister are just getting on with it, I'm blessed with 2 amazing kids just wish I could take it away from her and for me to have it im reading more and more everyday looking into food also seen there is some course so once my mind is at ease a bit more I would like to go on them I really want to do a I can to help her and make things as normal as I can it's great to have people to talk to who understand so really thank you all and noblehead thanks for the link I will check it out thank you x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That is great news that your daughter is taking it all in her stride, you must be so proud of her :)

Definitely do the course as it will expand your knowledge on carb counting and adjusting insulin doses, also there's a book that often gets mentioned on the net that is meant to be an excellent read, its called Type 1 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents and Young Adults and the author is Ragnar Hanas.

Lilybella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for the advice I have ordered the book and decided to do a food diary day to day so I can look back and see what's what

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That is great news that your daughter is taking it all in her stride, you must be so proud of her :)

Definitely do the course as it will expand your knowledge on carb counting and adjusting insulin doses, also there's a book that often gets mentioned on the net that is meant to be an excellent read, its called Type 1 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents and Young Adults and the author is Ragnar Hanas.
Yes noble head great advice this book is my bible! Taught me so much.

David147

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Just keep thinking of the things you have... it sounds like all you need. So maybe there are other things missing or you may not be happy with them. Try laughter therapy if you are stressed. It should help your levels back to happiness.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
How are you coping now, any better ?

RRB

Last edited by a moderator: