Which one do you recommend?

SkinnyLizzie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everyone,
I'm type 2, diagnosed August 2012 and am managing very well with diet and exercise - no medication. My levels were 57 in Aug '12 but since Aug '13 have been between 46 and 49. I'd like to start testing to see if I can improve things further. Which meter would you recommend? What I've been doing to bring my levels down - As I've always been very slim and had a good diet I only had to tweak things a bit which mainly means I now never, ever, have things like biscuits, cakes, desserts, ready meals etc which all have added sugar [and I don't use sugar substitutes either]. I was already having only whole grains [have cut those down a bit but can't go further or I'd be underweight] and have always had my 5 a day and only lean protein, rarely drink and have never smoked. My guilty secret is fish and chips but that only happens about 4 times a year and I only have about 6 chips! I have upped my exercise from just going for walks etc and now, in addition to that, do 30 mins of the heart beat raising variety, including things like 60 squats, 60 lunges etc, every single evening after my main meal. Part of my diet is because, in spite of being skinny, I also have high cholesterol so breakfast is porridge most mornings made with nothing more than oats, almond milk, cinnamon and a handful of blueberries. Some people find that porridge raises their glucose levels considerably and it seems that short bursts of activity like I do can also raise levels for some people. Those are two of the reasons why I'd like to start testing. Your advice would be much appreciated.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
defo codefree as the strips are the cheapest

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Codefree is what most people would recommend I think, due to the nice low price of the test strips - a big consideration if you are self funding and going to do a fair bit of testing.

I have a Bayer Contour Next which I love because it can give me some weekly, monthly, etc facts and figures which I find very helpful, and I can also upload my readings to my PC for more detailed information. I had an earlier model before I heard about the Codefree, so was reluctant to change. But it's expensive strips wise.

Robbity

SkinnyLizzie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Codefree is what most people would recommend I think, due to the nice low price of the test strips - a big consideration if you are self funding and going to do a fair bit of testing.

I have a Bayer Contour Next which I love because it can give me some weekly, monthly, etc facts and figures which I find very helpful, and I can also upload my readings to my PC for more detailed information. I had an earlier model before I heard about the Codefree, so was reluctant to change. But it's expensive strips wise.

Robbity
Thanks. It seems that codefree is definitely the one. I don't want anything fancy because my six monthly tests show that I've got things well under control. I just really want to find out how things like the porridge and exercise work for me and if I can make any improvements.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Pleased your going to test now, it will help you no end to see what foods are affecting you..along with those high energy exercise routine possibly adding to your sugar levels. I have several different meters ..but use my trusty code free all the time :angelic:

SkinnyLizzie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Pleased your going to test now, it will help you no end to see what foods are affecting you..along with those high energy exercise routine possibly adding to your sugar levels. I have several different meters ..but use my trusty code free all the time :angelic:
:) Thanks.

foxydent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Like many I have no choice about the meter I use unless I buy the electrodes. My GP will only supply electrodes for agamatrix wavesense jazz meters and quite frankly this is the poorest meter I've ever had (and I've had a few). I end up throwing about half the electrodes away as I keep getting error messages which seem to relate to temperature. If I waken during the night and want to test I have to warm the electrode before testing and if I think I am having a hypo I have to wait a couple of minutes while the electrode is warming. Not good. I have tried leaving the electrodes under my duvet during the night but they end up too warm. I've had my meter replaced but that makes no difference. I've never had this happen with any other meter. I've soon got a hospital appointment with the endocrinologist who manages my diabetes so I must remember to raise this

Angusc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
the first time I used jazz meter was when I was given one at a diabetic annual meeting and I was feeling low and did a test it showed 9.9 while to be feeling as I was I would need to be below 1.2 as have a very low warning level and are and are conscious till it gets well below 1.2 as was asking a nurse while in hospital for a Blood test as I thought I was low she said I was not but I got her to test and at that time I was at 1.2 and still walking and talking normally I've been a diabetic for 53 years and have a high tolerance for low blood sugars so I do not trust the jazz meter at all

yvonne49

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Glucose spikes
I use Codefree too because of their cheap strips and I don't have problems with it.

cineman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes. High BG levels
How nice to find that I have, in the WaveSense JAZZ, one of the most inaccurate BG meters going. I have had this meter since 15th. May & have had fairly high readings. My lowest was 5.0 & the average reading before breakfast was, for some strange unknown reason, about 7.1 - 7.9 with the lowest ever 6.3. Now this morning (& this is the reason I came here today) I have started a new batch of test strips, these give me lower readings!? First reading of the day was 5.7. Lowest ever & this afternoon I had 4.5! Now this could be accurate, but I doubt it. I have been trying really hard to lower my carbs & I have done this, but with no positive results so far. At least not until this new batch of strips. It says on the pot, that the averages on these strips are 0.4 lower than the first batch, so maybe I should just knock 0.4 off every reading I get. Even so, they will still be considerably lower than the first strips. Anyone have any thoughts on this please?