Pump Comparison Chart?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have to abandon my beloved pump in the next few months and get a new pump. My choice will be between the Animas Vibe and the new Medtronic pump.

I've looked online for some kind of pump comparison chart or tool, but I can't find anything useful at all. I want to be able to compare the two pumps side by side, feature by feature, just like you might do when you do a comparison of two or more items on, say, an electrical goods site.

Does anyone know of any such chart or tool?

In addition, any comments, good or bad, on those two pumps would be very welcome :)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
The simple solution is to ask each company to send you the info in the post or look at the website of each company.
I have an animas pump and find it does the job as required. I wont use Medtronic on principle as do not like certain aspects of their business practices.

Reactions: 5 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
same as Carbs above. also waterproofness and CGM compatibility won me to the Vibe

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you both :)

I've spent hours looking online (inc their websites) but am finding it hard to find a detailed like for like comparison. Having had my old pump model 11 years, changing to a completely new model is rather worrying!

As you're Vibe experts, can you confirm I'm right in thinking the Vibe only has 12 basal slots? How does that work? Do you do a rate that covers two consecutive hours or what?

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
im no expert!! I only use about 6 or 7 basal rates mostly focused around DP though I thought you could change more than 12?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you both :)

I've spent hours looking online (inc their websites) but am finding it hard to find a detailed like for like comparison. Having had my old pump model 11 years, changing to a completely new model is rather worrying!

As you're Vibe experts, can you confirm I'm right in thinking the Vibe only has 12 basal slots? How does that work? Do you do a rate that covers two consecutive hours or what?
No Expert either but yes 12 basal slots and when I first discovered it I thought bleep bleep but it's easy enough to work round. The Animas pump is extremely easy to use. I just got it out of the box and set it up, no problem at all.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Controlling your blood sugars with a pump makes you an expert in my book ;)

I only have experience of my old pump so know nothing about others (apart from the Insight, which I tried briefly last year and didn't like)

I've been trying to think about my pump priorities. Basically, I can't bear faffing about. I like simple and quick, and I don't like any pumps that need their batteries changing every five minutes or handsets recharging every day or two, etc.

I'm not fussy about a remote. I am fussy about a reasonable choice of sets, as I'm slim and can only use certain body areas. What are the Animas and Medtronic sets like for reliability and ease of use?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't know if this would be relevant, but I currently use animal insulin in my pump - Hypurin Porcine Neutral.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I use bovine neutral in my animas pump :) I think all pump companies offer the same type of cannula just use a different name for them. @azure what duration of insulin do you use?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
None, basically. My pump doesn't use an insulin duration so I've never used one. When I was on Humalog, I knew roughly how long that lasted, same with the Hypurin.

My pump is pretty simple but we get along well and my HbA1C has always been below 5.5. The last one was 4.7.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Remind me what pump do you have now?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a D Tron Plus :)

Love it for its unfailing accuracy, problem-free 11 years of pumping - and the ability to just drop any 3ml pen cartridge in it! :cool:

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have a D Tron Plus :)

Love it for its unfailing accuracy, problem-free 11 years of pumping - and the ability to just drop any 3ml pen cartridge in it! :cool:
Oh wow antiques road show :)
With all the modern pumps you have a wizard that sorts out the correct bolus and correction for you as long as you set it up with the right info.
Animas is a very simple straight forward pump to use.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah, I'm a control freak : D Even with the Insight, I calculated everything myself. Its instinctive, I think. Over my pumping yesrs, I've learnt how my BS reacts, how much insulin I need, how my lifestyle affects my BS.

Or maybe I'm a paranoid Luddite! : D

Seriously, I don't need lots of features like that, and as long as my results are good then I don't think I'd bother with them. My DSN recommended the Vibe for being simple My only concern is things I've read about the number of button presses to do things - is that true? I also worry that it might become obsolete soon. I don't know what Animas pumps are in the pipeline. I've read threads on here but I'm not sure of the Vibe's disadvantages.

The newness of the Medtronic model is both intriguing and scary, as possible problems might not be obvious yet.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes there are more button pushes but you do get used to them. I did hear that there is another animas pump in the pipeline for about 2 years time. How true it is, is anyone's guess. Animas pumps wont become obsolete there's to much money at stake :) Animas is the most simplistic pump on the market.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for your reassurance :)

I must admit I'm leaning towards the Vibe, but I want to be sure I'm making the right decision, especially after how much I disliked the Insight, which was a huge disappointment, having got all excited at a new pump model after all these years.

I don't want to choose one then regret it : /

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you for your reassurance :)

I must admit I'm leaning towards the Vibe, but I want to be sure I'm making the right decision, especially after how much I disliked the Insight, which was a huge disappointment, having got all excited at a new pump model after all these years.

I don't want to choose one then regret it : /
Can you not ask your nurse or the animas rep for a play of the Vibe?
I suspect no matter what pump you have you will hate it to start with. It's different so frustration will set in etc. I know I disliked the animas pump to start with and only because it wasn't my beloved cozmo :(

iHs

My main gripe with the Vibe is the lcd screen display in the sunshine.......its hard to see even with contrast setting increased and needs the pump to be put in my bag to see the screen or turn back to the sun and try to create a shade. Indoors the screen is fine.....outside, well not good. The button presses you get used to and the basal rate settings are not difficult to set up. The Vibes main attraction is Dexcom cgm but other than that,, I probably would have stayed with the Combo.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm hoping I'll be able to handle both pumps, but I'm not sure.

You make a good point about probably hating any new pump. I'd keep my D Tron if Roche hadnt ditched it :mad: So I suppose I'm looking for something that's not too dissimilar to it. Good battery life is important too. My D Tron lasts 9 weeks approx. Ease of priming, cartridge change, etc

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm hoping I'll be able to handle both pumps, but I'm not sure.

You make a good point about probably hating any new pump. I'd keep my D Tron if Roche hadnt ditched it :mad: So I suppose I'm looking for something that's not too dissimilar to it. Good battery life is important too. My D Tron lasts 9 weeks approx. Ease of priming, cartridge change, etc
Not to sure but think the battery lasted about 12 weeks without the CGM. If you don't want any of the wizards then just switch them off no problem. Does seem such a waste though. Each to their own as they say :)