seizures after hypo

eboniqueen_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone had a seizure after a hypo. I did been type 1 for 35 yrs and first time it's happened. I can't find any info anywhere and the drs didn't tell me anything

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Over my 25 years as a type 1 diabetic I have had a number of seizures due to hypos. One of the worst was when I was a teenager. There was a huge amount of flooding, and an ambulance would not have been able to get out to me. My parents thought that an air ambulance was going to be needed. Very thankfully, they managed to bring me out of it by massaging golden syrup into my gums. I think my blood sugars were at about 1.6 when it happened.

One of the main reasons I got a handle on my diabetes was because my wife had to deal with a couple of my fits (with assistance from paramedics). I never assume I am immune to them, but eating a low carbohydrate diet has been a massive help. Because I have a lot less carbohydrate in my diet, I also take a lot less insulin. Therefore any hypos I have are a lot less severe, and much easier to treat.

Marco7757

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Yes I did. Only once though.

Seizures can happen after very low hypos or extreme blood sugar gradients (meaning when your blood sugar drops extremely fast, going from okay to very low within minutes).
I bit my tongue quite hard and wasn't able to eat normally for at least a week. But other than that I didn't suffer any consequences from the seizure, some bruises from falling aside ...

eboniqueen_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My head felt like it was filled with cotton wool for a week and I now have pain in my chest when I breathe is this normal??

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suggest that you see a doctor if you're experiencing chest pains. It may just be a pulled rib muscle from tensing during the seizure or something else, I personally wouldn't take any chances. Sorry :/

hello123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am feeling of headache after yesterday night hypo. What should I do?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I am feeling of headache after yesterday night hypo. What should I do?
Post hypo headaches aren't unusual, especially if you are low overnight. Just keep an eye on you by levels.