Quick question for pumpers

ono

I'm starting to think about pumps as I've been recommended by the Doctor.
I have some basic questions:
Do you keep emergency pens in case of pump failure?
If so,as these go bad after several months, this means you have to keep getting pens (on prescription?) just in case?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If I'm away from home for more than an hour, I make sure I have my "emergency kit" with me. It contains blood sugar monitor, ketone monitor, infusion set, reservoir, spare battery for pump and a pen with needles.

I don't use disposable pens but replace the cartridge every month.

We must have backup basal and bolus pens in case something goes wrong with the pump.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I'm starting to think about pumps as I've been recommended by the Doctor.
I have some basic questions:
Do you keep emergency pens in case of pump failure?
If so,as these go bad after several months, this means you have to keep getting pens (on prescription?) just in case?
Simple solution is to have some disposable syringes and draw the insulin from the vial you use to fill the pump cartridge. Other option is to use the pen cartridges for filling your pump cartridge. Thus no waste.

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Having back-up pens is prerequisite for pump users, if your pump fails and then you must get insulin in the body somehow.

Cartridges for both Novorapid and Lantus are still on my repeat as well as the needles, better to be safe than sorry............

iHs

Most GPs will prescribe 1 pen cartridge instead of a pack of 5.

i always make sure that Ive got a back up in case I run out of insulin in the pump or my bg starts to go very high.
i try to be as resouceful as possible and just re fill an empty pen cartridge with about 20u of bolus and put that in the pen. If I dont use it for emergencies, I use it up as a bolus instead of the pump. This isnt hard to do but involves a disposable syringe to draw up insulin from a via and then inject into the rubber seal at the bottom of the pen cartridge. Other than that, a disposable syringe can be used to inject the bolus. Ypsomed supply minute syringes for pumpers called DailyDose and a while ago were sending out free samples.

ono

Great thanks for the replies, this makes sense and I feel more safe knowing that this is common practice

PATRICK317

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I have been pumping since 2007 and have not used syringes since then, Medtronic pumps are very reliable. I do have a couple of syringes, but for the most point I don't even worry about it.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Only used back up pens when accuchek had problems with sets 5 years ago.

I would just use the novorapid from my vials and draw up in disposable syringes (i have some at home) every 5 hours in case of pump breakdown. Don't resort to manually correcting ever by syringes. I just know nowadays if its set problems or food problem etc.

My pens are still put away in a box if I needed to go back to them, but as they are 5 years old I would probably need to get new ones actually.

If I go away for a weekend or further from house than a 1 hr drive I make sure I have back up cartridge and exchange of everything in a bag. I keep back up sets in my bag and car because I was finding random highs which were linked to sets and being lean. Have just started to change sets daily to avoid the problems.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I travel all over the world and carry long and short acting spare disposable pens, in three + years I have never had to use them. I only carry them if I'm away for more than a day, not all the time.

I also always carry a spare cannula set, have had to use them twice in 3+ years, after catching the tubing and accidentally ripping one out.