Type 1 hypo awareness

jackie4617

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi all i was at my diabetic clinic last wk & mentioned the hypo awareness programme which is on here as i no longer ave ne awareness but was told that once uve lost hypo awareness u can not get it bac just wondered if ne1 else has bin told this. ive bin diabetic 39yrs now & also ave neuropathy

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Somebody may come along and correct me but I don't think that is true. If you lose hypo awareness then I think it's generally because your blood sugars have been a bit too low and you've got used to it. By raising your sugars a little, you get used to the new level over a period of time and get your awareness back.

Of course there's always the 'we're all different' caveat to be applied here!

jackie4617

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
my blood sugars r up & down all the time as i was told il very sensitive 2 insulin so wont get hypo awareness bac i was told

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The usual advice for someone who has lost their hypo awareness symptoms is to run their bg levels higher for several weeks whilst testing regular and avoiding hypo's as much as possible, but this doesn't always work unfortunately and some people do completely lose their hypo awareness symptoms.

Reactions: 2 people

jackie4617

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thnk u noblehead as im led 2 believe that is wot has appened 2 me aft being diabetic on insulin 39yrs now