Kitchen cupboards

C

CheeseJunkie

i'm going to attack the freezer, the fridge and the kitchen cupboards. I've already got rid of dried pasta...
There are some things I'm thinking 'maybe a little one day'...
Unsure.

What did you thrown away when you found out your diabetes diagnosis? And what did you decide to keep?

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Try going through any processed tins of foods .
Baked beans , spaghetti , veg , potatoes , sauces .
These are full of sugar and can raise the BG levels .
Unsuitable for my own BG levels as an insulin dependant diabetic .

FRESH produce - all home cooked is best with myself .
I can smaller portion control this way also .
Cook or make a lite bite little and often is best with myself .

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very little got chucked out as I have a carb eating husband who is also chief cook and shopper.:D I'd consider donating suitable unopened food to a food bank though if I was in a position to have a major carbs clear out.

Robbity

Reactions: 6 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to make good bread .. so I threw out all my specialty flours. It was sad.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My mum got in to my flat and literally chucked everything out that was off my eating when I was diagnosed type 1. There wasn't a lot there anyway!! But my unopened pack of ginger creams went and replaced by rich tea and digestives. Thats the only thing I remember that I missed. Oh and she replaced the jam I had with stute diabetic jam!!
I had no pasta, bread, cakes etc anyway. The jam was only to make jam and cream scones with occasionally.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i'm going to attack the freezer, the fridge and the kitchen cupboards. I've already got rid of dried pasta...
There are some things I'm thinking 'maybe a little one day'...
Unsure.

What did you thrown away when you found out your diabetes diagnosis? And what did you decide to keep?
I was five years old, so probably I chucked a few toys around! But Type 1 so I can still eat whatever I want, as long as I "count" it, as far as I'm concerned.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to loose my packets of chickpeas and red kidney beans .. Also dried lentils ..that was it really these were the only things in my cupboard that reality spiked my sugars. The wife will still eat rice and pasta .. I am allowed xxoz of these ..happy days ..sorry I don't know the weight of xxoz as the wife sorts that out !
My sugars only elevated once I followed the DBN orders to eat more carbs ..before her orders I was hovering around 5.9 to 6.0 ..three months of eating the way I was ordered my numbers were in the mid 20's

Reactions: 6 people
C

CheeseJunkie

I'm not going to chuck out any pulses until I have proved (BG) that they are offensive to my metabolism. (I'm Mediterranean)

I do wonder whether some people should start to sue the DoH.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not going to chuck out any pulses until I have proved (BG) that they are offensive to my metabolism. (I'm Mediterranean)

Lots of people here can eat them :( but sadly I cannot.

C

CheeseJunkie

I've solved my 'OMG I've twenty bags and packs of different seeds and nuts' problem. New shoebox on the shelf contains them all nicely, apart from the really big bags. And is just the correct depth for the upper kitchen cupboards. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I sooo need to prove that my body can handle black beans.....I threw all mine out....along with chick peas and have to say I miss them so will be experimenting as soon as I can to see if I can have some

C

CheeseJunkie

I'm with you on the beans and chick peas. I need to test all these things too.

Also pinto beans, which - as Alubias de Tolosa, I have been known to smuggle into the UK in my luggage :)

Last edited:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Snap on beans.. Buy my prob is finding recipes that I want toneat with them in. Got tinned chickpeas etc so longlife but still
So wish I could find a recipe to use them in.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I sooo need to prove that my body can handle black beans.....I threw all mine out....along with chick peas and have to say I miss them so will be experimenting as soon as I can to see if I can have some
I loooooooove beans. As long as I can balance my blood sugar and eat beans, I will. And I do find that low GI food like beans helps me. But I am not low carbing. I can't eat chick peas, though, even though I love their taste. I seem to have some kind of intolerance to them.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I loooooooove beans. As long as I can balance my blood sugar and eat beans, I will. And I do find that low GI food like beans helps me. But I am not low carbing. I can't eat chick peas, though, even though I love their taste. I seem to have some kind of intolerance to them.
I have yet to try them....I crave black beans and baked beans....struggling with protein at the moment....seems my body doesnt like it :( Pork and chicken breasts make my bg a lot higher than I'd like :(

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I still have some navy beans. I need to figure out how to make baked beans with no ketchup or sugar in them.

I just got rid of a big bag of Splenda. I decided to cut out fake sugar. I had to switch to black coffee, but that is going well.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I still have some navy beans. I need to figure out how to make baked beans with no ketchup or sugar in them.

I just got rid of a big bag of Splenda. I decided to cut out fake sugar. I had to switch to black coffee, but that is going well.
If I have to cut out anything else I think I'll just give up :(.....cut carbs very low but now find my BG doesn't like pork or chicken....salmon, eggs and cheese fine and Quorn products as long as they're the lower carb ones.....but any kind of real meat and my numbers jump up...like tonight I had pork loin steaks....went up from 5.1 to 8.9 :(