Lucentis question

giddy_kipper

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I had my first Lucentis injections a week ago and I am still having a little ache and grittiness now and then in my right eye. This was the worst affected following the treatment and stayed pinkish for a couple of days after. I get a very quick nano-second of an ache at the back when I move my eye quickly. They both look fine now, but I wondered if anyone else had experienced these ongoing effects and when I could expect them to get totally back to normal? Thanks in advance :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi @giddy_kipper

I won't beat about the bush - I found the lucentis injections one of the most unpleasant things I have experienced.
The grittiness started about 45 minutes after the injection and lasted for about 3 days in total for me. It felt like my eye was on fire for the first 4-6 hours after the injection.
I had floaters for about 3 weeks. The redness in my eye lasted about 1 week.
I do get little sharp pains at the back of my eye from time to time but had not associated this with the injection.

I had 3 injections in total over a 12 week period.

I have been using a non invasive treatment since october 2014 called the Noctura sleep mask -- there is a topic started by me here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/noctura-sleep-mask-for-diabetic-retinopathy.75538/ on this subject and the company details in this link www.noctura.com

Reactions: 4 people

giddy_kipper

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the response @himtoo, Just visited the site and had a read. I'm being treated for maculopathy and a quick google has shown that my hospital may be running a clinical trial using the mask alongside lucentis for this. Funnily enough 'very unpleasant' were the words I used to describe the injections too!. I'm having them bilaterally and have been told this will be for at least a year and possibly up to three. I am though just grateful that something is available that can help me save my sight. It's been a pretty frightening journey. I'll be following the light mask with interest and keeping a track of when recruitment opens.

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Thanks for the response @himtoo, Just visited the site and had a read. I'm being treated for maculopathy and a quick google has shown that my hospital may be running a clinical trial using the mask alongside lucentis for this. Funnily enough 'very unpleasant' were the words I used to describe the injections too!. I'm having them bilaterally and have been told this will be for at least a year and possibly up to three. I am though just grateful that something is available that can help me save my sight. It's been a pretty frightening journey. I'll be following the light mask with interest and keeping a track of when recruitment opens.
Good Morning @giddy_kipper
bilaterally meaning switching between eyes and 1 injection about every 6 weeks ?? so 8 injections in a year. ?
Jesus mate -- I really feel for you :arghh: but as you say and i do agree -- anything to try to save the sight -- that was why I opted to try them but they had no effect on the small macular oedema in my left eye very close to my central vision.
if you have read through my post you will have seen that the early encouraging signs from the mask is that it is reducing the thickness of the macular layer which is a very positive thing. IF I WERE YOU -- you might try ringing the people at polyphotonix ( makers of the noctura mask )
speak to a lovely girl called Kerry Miles -- can give you her phone number via a PM

she can talk you through potential suitability -- but currently it is not funded by the NHS ( still in trials )

Phone number removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

giddy_kipper

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning @himtoo bilaterally meaning both eyes at the same time :::eeek::: The thought of double the number of hospital visits was enough to make me grit my teeth (and my eyes!) and get on with it. Still at least I know what to expect now. Might just speak to the company and see what I can find out. Thanks again for the advice :)

petdell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I had my first Lucentis injections a week ago and I am still having a little ache and grittiness now and then in my right eye. This was the worst affected following the treatment and stayed pinkish for a couple of days after. I get a very quick nano-second of an ache at the back when I move my eye quickly. They both look fine now, but I wondered if anyone else had experienced these ongoing effects and when I could expect them to get totally back to normal? Thanks in advance :)

petdell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I had my first Lucentis injections a week ago and I am still having a little ache and grittiness now and then in my right eye. This was the worst affected following the treatment and stayed pinkish for a couple of days after. I get a very quick nano-second of an ache at the back when I move my eye quickly. They both look fine now, but I wondered if anyone else had experienced these ongoing effects and when I could expect them to get totally back to normal? Thanks in advance :)[/QUOTEhe fo

petdell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all joined the forum a. Couple of days ago I am a complete techno phobe so bear with me I took part in trials for Lucentis. from May 2011 for 18 months.during this time I had 13 jabs in my left eye. At least now the sheet that is put over your eye is pre-cut. The worst part of the procedure used to be the trimming of your eyelash,as the hole was cut with scissors ,very disconcerting. Took part in the trial because laser and wasting was not stopping the eye deterioration. When the trial finished n.I.c.e were still refusing to fund Lucent is. Despite the fact macular degeneration patients were receiving it. I joined the cause for diabetics to receive the treatment. During this time my eyes dipped and I lost my driving licence. May 2013 n.I.c.u relented and started to fund it. Injections restored past sight test and got licence back. Am now up to 33 in left eye 18 in right. Shame their not lasting longer , but I now consider the jabs just another part of the journey in a diabetic s life. Hopefully not for everyone, but honestly not to be feared. Just wish you luck.

Reactions: 3 people

petdell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry .talking about myself.the side affects.i.e. sudden pain in when opening eye wide I get for a couple of days. I also get big black floaters, that look like billiard balls clanging when you look down. These are air bubbles and quite normal. I don't get them every time,but they quickly break up and disappear. The reason I've had so many injections is because of lasers the fluid builds quickly. Good luck