That thing called Exercise

karencymru

Popped in to curves and got the answers
. 6 months
. Yes, £29
. Yes, anywhere in the world

Very odd opening hours in this branch though. Not open on Sunday at all.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Every so often we get enthusiastic exercisers posting here.

I'm always very impressed. Especially when they hang around and give helpful advice to people trying to manage their diabetes with a combination of diet, exercise and (where appropriate) medication.

But over focus on exercise isn't always helpful.

Large numbers of diabetics have additional health issues that limit, or prevent exercise. Telling someone with heart problems, severe arthritis, neuropathy or Charcot foot that they 'should exercise' is not helpful. Such people need careful, personal, tailored advice.

My own experience of blood glucose control is that it is 80% diet, with exercise a very small percentage. 10? 15?%. But then, joint problems mean that I am limited in the amount and type of exercise that is beneficial.

Plus, of course, I find exercise mind bogglingly tedious and have endured the failure of every single exercise 'regime' over the last 25 years. Getting a dog has been the only thing to have any effect.

Unless it incorporates into daily life - enjoyably, regularly, interestingly, telling me what I 'should' do won't have the slightest impact.

Reactions: 7 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ITA @Brunneria

To my mind, exercise shaming is about as useful as fat shaming as a strategy for getting people to change especially when you don't know a thing about them and their circumstances :p

Reactions: 10 people

Scardoc

Every so often we get enthusiastic exercisers posting here.

I'm always very impressed. Especially when they hang around and give helpful advice to people trying to manage their diabetes with a combination of diet, exercise and (where appropriate) medication.

But over focus on exercise isn't always helpful.

Enthusiastic exerciser here. My tuppence worth is that the over focus on exercise should be happening in our schools to help alleviate the health problems modern society faces. The UK still ranks well down the list when it comes to exercise levels and it can only be improved through education and the availability of facilities from an early age.

Or cycle paths everywhere and another Brit winning the Tour this year perhaps!

Reactions: 2 people

MarkE

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Woo
Enthusiastic exerciser here. My tuppence worth is that the over focus on exercise should be happening in our schools to help alleviate the health problems modern society faces. The UK still ranks well down the list when it comes to exercise levels and it can only be improved through education and the availability of facilities from an early age.

Or cycle paths everywhere and another Brit winning the Tour this year perhaps!

Make it fun, kids'll do it.

My experience- I grant rather a few years back now- involved the eejit teachers making me feel ashamed to be alive simply because I have very little hand/eye co-ordination and could not run to save my life. Turns out I'm an Aspie and have a few problems with incomplete instructions and am clumsy anyway- but it gave me an aversion to PE which lasted many years. Good job I was also a county level swimmer- in my OWN time, thanks to CMK swimming club.

In short- fair enough, but not a magic bullet alas.

Reactions: 3 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Exercise will never prevent your pancreas giving up the ghost but it will help with burning glucose and with insulin resistance. So, exercise is good for a lot of reasons but it won't neither prevent nor cure diabetes.

Reactions: 4 people

IzzieS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Loud noises; disrespectful people; fireworks
Am interested in Curves, but can't get detail from their website. Please may a ask a couple of questions...

. Are you tied in for a certain period of time
. Is there a joining fee
. Can you go to other branches? (Travel with work)

Must do more than walk as weight not shifting despite significant diet changes !
Hi. Not sure if there's a joining fee at the moment. I pay monthly by d/d and if you want to stop you have to give at least one month's notice. I know someone who pays by cheque each month. I think you can go to other branches, but I haven't ever done that. Hope this helps.

IzzieS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Loud noises; disrespectful people; fireworks
Popped in to curves and got the answers
. 6 months
. Yes, £29
. Yes, anywhere in the world

Very odd opening hours in this branch though. Not open on Sunday at all.
No, neither is mine, but I wouldn't do Sundays, anyway. Are you giving it a go? Let us know how you get on.

Scardoc

Exercise will never prevent your pancreas giving up the ghost but it will help with burning glucose and with insulin resistance. So, exercise is good for a lot of reasons but it won't neither prevent nor cure diabetes.

True in T1.
Potential prevention of T2.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
True in T1.
Potential prevention of T2.
Please explain how exercise could prevent T2? Any particular effects of exercise on beta cells that works for some (T2) but not for others (T1)?

Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
Exercise can be part of a healthy life style that avoids the obesity that increases the risk of T2.

I am unaware of any effects of exercise on the pancreas.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Exercise can be part of a healthy life style that avoids the obesity that increases the risk of T2.

I am unaware of any effects of exercise on the pancreas.
As exercise has no impact on weight apart from increasing muscle so can help you gain weight so I fail to see it could cure obesity.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: 6 people

Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
That's why I said "part of a healthy lifestyle" On its own, it won't amount to much.

Scardoc

As exercise has no impact on weight apart from increasing muscle so can help you gain weight so I fail to see it could cure obesity.

Of course it does. We all know that we aren't all the same so what works for me may not work for you etc etc but surely we are adult enough to recognise the fact that just because some latest report says "actually, exercise doesn't mean you can eat a load of **** and lose weight" it doesn't mean exercise is irrelevant. So what happens when I decide that my middle age spread is getting out of hand and I hit the sit ups hard and work the abs for months on end? Do I end up with a six pack or do I end up with a six pack hidden by the fat which has remained in situ?

I may weight more as muscle is heavier but if I was a 20st body builder that wouldn't make me obese would it? And if I was 16st and classed as obese, hit the gym and became that 20st body builder would obesity have been cured?

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Of course it does. We all know that we aren't all the same so what works for me may not work for you etc etc but surely we are adult enough to recognise the fact that just because some latest report says "actually, exercise doesn't mean you can eat a load of **** and lose weight" it doesn't mean exercise is irrelevant. So what happens when I decide that my middle age spread is getting out of hand and I hit the sit ups hard and work the abs for months on end? Do I end up with a six pack or do I end up with a six pack hidden by the fat which has remained in situ?

I may weight more as muscle is heavier but if I was a 20st body builder that wouldn't make me obese would it? And if I was 16st and classed as obese, hit the gym and became that 20st body builder would obesity have been cured?
Could you clarify? I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Or have you tried it?

Scardoc

Could you clarify? I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Or have you tried it?

Basically, the effects of exercise on weight are not limited to muscle gain. Fat is also lost and thus weight is lost. Whether you lose or gain weight would be proportional to the type and level of exercise you do. Yes, there are a large number of people for whom no amount of exercise appears to be prevent weight gain and, ultimately, obesity but it certainly does (along with the other healthy lifestyle factors) prevent excess body fat. Which will help prevent obesity in the majority of the population.

Other than that, exercise can also be used to lose weight in non obese people. I live in rugby country and it's the norm to see rugby players ending their careers and using running to bulk down. Losing muscle but not having it turn into fat.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Basically, the effects of exercise on weight are not limited to muscle gain. Fat is also lost and thus weight is lost. Whether you lose or gain weight would be proportional to the type and level of exercise you do. Yes, there are a large number of people for whom no amount of exercise appears to be prevent weight gain and, ultimately, obesity but it certainly does (along with the other healthy lifestyle factors) prevent excess body fat. Which will help prevent obesity in the majority of the population.

Other than that, exercise can also be used to lose weight in non obese people. I live in rugby country and it's the norm to see rugby players ending their careers and using running to bulk down. Losing muscle but not having it turn into fat.
I must admit I find all this rather confusing.
Exercise build muscle, thus help gain weight, I'm with you so far but as to cause loss of weight, be it fat or otherwise, how do you work that out? I have never seen a single reliable study able to prove this. But I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that any extra calories burned are replaced by the exercise stimulated hunger that follows.
The slightly raised metabolism is nice, but it has never resulted in weight loss, just more appetite.